• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Flying after wisdom tooth extraction. ANXIETY!

S

scottie

Firstly, hi everyone. And apologies if I have posted thios in the wrong thread. I am very new to this, so I have posted it under a few apt. headings.

I have my top right wisdom tooth booked in for an extraction in two days and I am basically freaking out!
I like most people with health anxiety did what I shouldnt and read all the horror stories online, so now I am so scared, I have been waking up at 5 in the morning everyday with my heart pounding.

I had my top right wisdom tooth filled a few times now, hoping that I could avoid an extraction, but after last time my dentist said if we need to do anything to it again it will have to be extracted. I am a 44 year old man, acting like Im 12. Its crazy!

So after eating some popcorn, I had a piece lodge and possibly break a little bit of the wisom tooth off, so now if I have something cold or hot it's sensitive. It's not unbearable but its there.

I went to another dentist who does extractions, for a medical practice, and he said he could take it out in 20 minutes. In the chair. just with local anaesthetic. They have an IV anaesthetist in only once a month so I would have to wait if I wanted IV sedation.

So basically I am doing it in the chair with local. I am worried about it and how much it will hurt?!?

I am also worried becuase I have to get on a long 24 hour flight in 4 weeks. The cabin pressure? Is that something that could be a problem so close to having the extraction? Would it heal completely by then? Would I be better off doeing the extraction when I get back? Which will be in two months from now.

H E L P!!! Any helpful advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi
wisdom tooth extraction is generally only a big deal if the tooth is impacted which means buried in the bone.
Your tooth has been accessible for a filling in the past so it isnt buried. Generally upper wisdom teeth have quite tapered roots and actually are easier to remove than other upper molars so chances are you'll be fine.
A flight in 4 weeks is fine, it shouldn't give you any bother at all.
hope it goes well

Hi
wisdom tooth extraction is generally only a big deal if the tooth is impacted which means buried in the bone.
Your tooth has been accessible for a filling in the past so it isnt buried. Generally upper wisdom teeth have quite tapered roots and actually are easier to remove than other upper molars so chances are you'll be fine.
A flight in 4 weeks is fine, it shouldn't give you any bother at all.
hope it goes well

Thank you for that. I am pretty scared and anxious about it. I hope the recovery us fast!

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out with local anesthetic. The 2 that were fully erupted (as it sounds like yours it b/c you have fillings in it) were super easy and completely painless to extract. The 2 others were fully impacted and did not go as smoothly (I will NOT share my story about these) as your situation seems much more like my 2 upper (erupted) wisdom teeth. The recovery from the uppers was also easy and quick.

Best of luck to you!

Today is 2 weeks since I had my 4 wisdom teeth out. My uppers were fully erupted, as I imagine yours are as well. Those healed up fast with minimal pain.

I wouldn't worry about flying a few weeks later. Complications to the upper sockets are rare and the mouth tends to heal fast. At 2 weeks, my upper sockets are nearly closed up completely. The dentist/surgeon will advise you to not use straws for a week because of the pressure changes created. I think flying after that would be fine.

Good Luck!

Thank you I appreciate your comforting words. I know its crazy to be so phobic about a tooth extraction, but its become a really big deal in my imagination!

I appreciate your reply.

Today is 2 weeks since I had my 4 wisdom teeth out. My uppers were fully erupted, as I imagine yours are as well. Those healed up fast with minimal pain.

I wouldn't worry about flying a few weeks later. Complications to the upper sockets are rare and the mouth tends to heal fast. At 2 weeks, my upper sockets are nearly closed up completely. The dentist/surgeon will advise you to not use straws for a week because of the pressure changes created. I think flying after that would be fine.

Good Luck!

Thank you I appreciate your comforting words. I know its crazy to be so phobic about a tooth extraction, but its become a really big deal in my imagination!

I appreciate your reply.

It's no problem at all. I completely understand. We're all here for you, even if it's just for you to vent. :)

OK, so here is the update. I went in and saw my dentist and he gave me a local. I took a small dose of Valium before it to calm me down. Then he reached in, and wiggked my tooth, while I kept my eyes closed and then he turned around, and I thought he was reaching for another tool, so I asked "What's happening?" And he said "it's done!" That was it! The extraction took about 45 seconds.

It hurt less than getting a filling. I cannot believe I got so worked up! SO guys, I know it sounds scary but it's seriously ok.

Mine was done about 6 ours ago, and the local has well and truelly wore off, but it's managable pain. It's not horrible pain, I just took some over the counter painkillers now.

I hope this lessens someones anxiety just a little.

Thanks

It's no problem at all. I completely understand. We're all here for you, even if it's just for you to vent. :)

Back