• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Food or blood clot?

T

todd.hack

I had the very back molar on my bottom left side pulled yesterday. I'm not really that worried, because I have had a large amount of dental work done lately, but I do have a question. How can I tell if something in the socket where the tooth was is a piece of food or the clot? It feels pretty loose but I'm afraid to take it out because I don't want to get dry socket.

Thanks

I'm no dentist but I am currrently suffering Dry Socket complications following removal of a wisdom tooth.

I think that most likely what you can see/feel is the blood clot. Have you actually managed to eat solid food since the extraction? If not, can it really be food??

Please try-I know it's tempting -to stop poking/worrying the wound with your tongue. Believe me you really really really want to retain the clot! Keep up the salt washes, simply washing the solution over the area gently. Even if it is food I think that the washes should dislodge it and prevent infection setting in anyway.
good luck

Thanks for the advice. I have been able to eat food since the extraction. In fact, I ate the dinner my wife made about 5 hrs after the procedure. I think it's because, 2 months ago I had all of my top teeth removed and got upper dentures. I'm used to having all the dental work done so having one tooth pulled doesn't really seem like a big deal. My dentist didn't say anything to me about rinsing with salt water. I think I'll try that. It sounds like it might help

heal quick

Back