• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Food stuck in extraction/bone graft site-won’t come out with rinsing

M

MountainMama

It has been two weeks since the tooth was extracted and bone grafting done. It has been healing nicely. The stitches came out and the glue came off around a week ago. I can still see the bone grafting material (with the collagen membrane over it).
Food is stuck in the hole. I have rinsed with salt water and Chlorhexidine and it will not come out. The area is starting to feel irritated. Is there a safe way to get the food out? I am not sure what I can safely do.

I have no idea but I wanted to say I hope your extraction is healing ok and you're feeling much better now

I have no idea but I wanted to say I hope your extraction is healing ok and you're feeling much better now
Thanks. I think it is healing fine...in fact seems to be healing faster than the last one. Just anxiety now about making sure the bone graft doesn’t fail.

So some of the food came out. There is still some stuck down in there. I honestly can’t tell where the bone graft is now. I am doing salt water rinses after each meal. It is less irritated now. Because of the holidays, I don’t have my follow up appointment until next Thursday so it will be 3 weeks. Will it be okay if not all of the food comes out, or will it cause infection with the bone graft?

Can you get hold of a syringe and irrigate the area with it? Some dentists will give one to patients after extractions. If you do, just gently squirt some salt water solution down the hole.
If not, then phone your practice and ask them to help.

It won't cause an infection but I'm sure it's really annoying.

Can you get hold of a syringe and irrigate the area with it? Some dentists will give one to patients after extractions. If you do, just gently squirt some salt water solution down the hole.
If not, then phone your practice and ask them to help.

It won't cause an infection but I'm sure it's really annoying.

I don’t have a syringe but may be able to find one in town. The practice is closed until Monday but I can call then if it is still stuck.

Some more of it came out with more salt water rinsing. Now it is not as irritated feeling.

Thank you for letting me know it won’t get infected. That eases my mind a lot. This new surgeon (periodontist) really did a great job with this extraction and bone grafting and I don’t want to mess it up! I have had a quicker healing time than with any other extraction.

You might be able to get a syringe from a pharmacy - here in UK you can buy them really cheap for liquid medicines (usually for kids), not sure if its the same where you are

You might be able to get a syringe from a pharmacy - here in UK you can buy them really cheap for liquid medicines (usually for kids), not sure if its the same where you are

I live in a really rural are...one local pharmacy and they said they have them, but only if you are getting medication.
I don’t really want to make the 40 minute drive to the next town over. ?

Did you offer to pay for it? I've known many pharmacies who gave them out free with prescriptions, so maybe that is their practice and they don't want to give you a free one?

Did you offer to pay for it? I've known many pharmacies who gave them out free with prescriptions, so maybe that is their practice and they don't want to give you a free one?
I asked. They said their policy is to only give them with medication. Small town pharmcy

Bring out your inner MacGyver and see if you can rig something up with a plastic bag with a corner cut off? You just want to be able to direct a small jet of liquid into the hole :)

Bring out your inner MacGyver and see if you can rig something up with a plastic bag with a corner cut off? You just want to be able to direct a small jet of liquid into the hole :)
Haha! I can do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried this and couldn’t get enough force to push anything out. I scrounged around in some of the boxes I hadn’t yet unpacked and found a syringe in an old children’s liquid Tylenol box. I tried it and still can’t get the food out.
I go for my follow up visit Thursday. I guess he can clean it out.

Make him earn his fee :)

Back