• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

For those who think the fear will never end.....

D

drummerswife

Hello all,
For those of you who are struggling with fear, I hope this little bit gives you hope for the future. You will get through it, really you will.

Yesterday, I was talking with a co-worker who had broken her tooth. She had been told the tooth could be repaired but would require a crown. She was anxious because she has never had a crown before. I've had several so I explained the procedure and what to expect ending with "so you see its really not that big a deal. crowns are easy" And just as those words came out of my mouth, I had to smile at the irony of my making such a statement. I was remembering the woman who 3 years ago was too terrified to even walk into a dentist's office, the woman for whom simply taking an x-ray required heavy sedation.

My co-worker thanked me and said she felt better. I hope you do too.;)

I'm happy to see that fear can be overcome. I've recently been to dentist after 20 years and had a couple teeth immediately removed (due to abscess) and made an appointment for 2 more extractions. I handled my visit better than I ever imagined, and have very little fear about the next one. But the dentist informed me much work will have to be done to save my remaining teeth. I had a nightmare last night about how I will get through it and woke up in a cold sweat. I'm trying to believe that it will be alright and I can get through it one step at a time without trampling everyone in the dental office as I run screaming out to my car. I realize I'm most afraid of the sound of the drill and haven't had to deal with that yet. You and the others on this site give me hope. Thanks.

Hi Missy,
I'm sound sensitive myself. And the sound of the drill gives me the willys too. Here's a solution I have found for myself. I take my IPOD and turn on my favorite CD and blast it. It takes the edge off the sound and makes it bearable and the music comforts me. Give it a try.
And 3 cheers for making it this far:jump::jump::jump:

i thank you for this little bit it made me feel a little better i cant wait for the day i post my first success which i am a little upset with my self that i haven't made one yet i mean honestly i just feel so ashamed but then i must always remember that it all starts with baby steps i ran into continuos obstacles since being on here but i feel that i am finally getting close so i just need to stay positive but anyways thanks drummerswife :XXLhug:

I know how you feel mickey and you're welcome;) Hang in there!

Back