• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Foul odor between teeth - does this mean cavity?

Camisa

Camisa

Hi gang, been a while. I'm confused; I just had my regular dental cleaning on Monday, and my hygienist always compliments on how healthy my gums look and how she had to remove very little plaque. She knows I've become obsessive about my dental health and hygiene since going through so much trauma with major dental work in the past. But last night before bed when I was flossing, some plaque came from between my upper left two molars that had a very distinct foul odor to it, and taste (yes, I tasted it). ;D Got out a new piece of floss and went over it again, odor was on the floss still until I went over it a few more times.

It sent me reeling, because I remember that very unique odor all too well - it smelled like the same exact odor I had when I used to floss a severe cavity that used to be between another two teeth in the past. I'm curious to know if this could just be a case of trapped food, or could it mean that I have a cavity between those teeth that is hiding? I did have some onions yesterday which is unusual for my diet, but it makes very little sense to me for bacteria to grow that fast between those two teeth because not only did I just get a professional cleaning 2 days ago, but I floss every night and I brush 2-3 times a day and rinse with fluoridated rinse.:confused: I even used a Water Pik yesterday morning (use that once in a while).

I flossed the area this morning and didn't smell or taste anything again, but I'm still worried about a hidden cavity...and... now the one molar is sore. My last exam and xrays were in March and the dentist is always impressed with how healthy everything always looks, no cavities on xray then. Hygienist said my next xrays and exam would be done at my next 6 month cleaning. But that characteristic foul smell that I pulled out from between those two teeth really has me in a panic..especially since I'm not allowed to have antibiotics for a long time as I recently had a fecal transplant for recurrent c. difficile infections (antibiotic associated GI illness). :o I made an appointment but they can't see me til September and I'm just panicking until then. What are your thoughts??

Last edited:
Foul odor definitely strikes fear, doesn't it? Have you had your wisdom teeth removed? I think they can cause bad smells between teeth. Maybe you just needed to floss extra good. Truth is, if everything has checked out fine thus far, you're probably just being paranoid right now :giggle: But I totally understand why. Try to take it easy. If you're really freaking out, call up your dental office and ask them about what could be going on. Surely they'll have a answer for you or call you in to double-check. Let me know what happens :jump:

Everytime I have my teeth cleaned, my mouth tastes and smells nasty for a day or so. I think it's just from the cleaning....... however, I had a school teacher who had a water pik. I could tell you the days she used it because her breath was so bad you could smell it 4 feet away. I'm 63 and she died a few weeks ago, with her own teeth still intact.

How about a mild salt water rinse/ swish in case the hygienist caused some bleeding (which stinks to high heaven)?

Back