• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

It's a supportive space to talk to people with similar experiences, and get advice and information.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Found some courage from somewhere, but wouldn't mind some more.

M

Moley

So, I plan on making an appointment tomorrow. I'm overdue for my checkup by a couple of months and the trouble with this tooth is going from annoying to genuinely distracting.

The two issues I definitely have are closely related. One of my front teeth has drifted forward and towards the lateral incisor, slightly covering the top 'corner' of it. As a result, I can't get floss or indeed a toothpick up there without some discomfort so I've (wrongly I know) given up on the idea and tried as best I can with my brush.

A few weeks ago I started getting very a much on and off 'feeling' there. Not really sure how to describe it, it was not quite an ache, not quite a pain and not quite a sting. At first I put it down to my gums as they've been a problem for a while now as I'm constantly catching it with food or my brush and started using Corsodyl again. Skip a week or so and I accidentally caught that incisor with the fork whilst eating and noticed a twinge (cue my panicky thread on here about the percussion test!) which led me to try it a couple of times a day - sometimes that pain returned, others were a non-event.

Prior to my last appointment just shy of a year ago, I noticed a small dark grey 'pit' in that spot where the teeth slightly overlap just after brushing. As I say I can't get a toothpick up there to see how deep it is, I have to basically look at it with the corner of my eye as I turn my head to the side and it almost completely disappears within seconds of brushing due to it's apparent magnetic field to anything else in my mouth. When my check-up was finished and the dentist didn't mention it, I thought it was nothing to worry about.

Fast forward to today and whatever it was then, I'm 99% sure it's now a cavity, especially with the aforementioned weird feeling coming from that exact spot. I don't think it's got any bigger since I first noticed it, if it has it isn't substantially, but I can't work out how on earth they're going to go about filling it. I'm assuming it's possible, but not knowing for sure just leaves my rather vivid imagination to come up with all sorts of horror stories.

It's a considerable long shot, but I figured if anywhere was going to host someone who'd gone through a similar issue, it would be here.

M

Moley

I spoke way, way, way too soon. My lift got called away so I've had to put off making the appointment until tomorrow as I've got no other way of getting there (would have been today, but we have a Bank Holiday here and my dentist is shut)

After brushing last night I noticed that either the hole has gotten bigger (not massively but enough to notice when you've been on it like a hawk for the last fortnight), or the other tooth has moved again so more of it is visible. Add to that the tooth directly above where I had one extracted a few years back must have caught the tooth next to the extraction site (my jaw is all out of line) and woke me up after 20 minutes of sleep and didn't stop hurting for hours.

Cue absolutely no more sleep, heart rate of a marathon runner, cold sweats, stomach cramps which led to the inevitable 'upset stomach'. Had some toast along with some Andrews, in the hope it would calm my stomach down when I finally gave up on the idea of sleep and got up, which I just threw back up.

I've literally done this to myself worrying about a dentist appointment. I think I came off my Mirtazapine a little too quickly, as it was never even close to this bad when I was on it.

Dg6300

Dg6300

Hang in there.

You will I’ll make it through this.

M

Moley

Appointment made for next Wednesday. My anxiety seems to have subsided slightly during the day, thankfully. I managed to get something close to a full night's sleep last night and haven't been ill today.

I'm still clenching/grinding my teeth in my sleep however, does anybody have any tips for preventing that between now and my appointment? Obviously I'll be raising it with the dentist when I get there, but a week is a long time to wake up with jaw ache and sore teeth every morning so I'd appreciate anything at all.

Dg6300

Dg6300

Bravo! Such courage! You should be proud my friend.

grumpybear

grumpybear

Appointment made for next Wednesday. My anxiety seems to have subsided slightly during the day, thankfully. I managed to get something close to a full night's sleep last night and haven't been ill today.

I'm still clenching/grinding my teeth in my sleep however, does anybody have any tips for preventing that between now and my appointment? Obviously I'll be raising it with the dentist when I get there, but a week is a long time to wake up with jaw ache and sore teeth every morning so I'd appreciate anything at all.

Have you tried a nightguard? One of those that you could get off the shelves to use for now until you get to the dentist and you can ask about a custom made one.

M

Moley

Got the usual phonecall this afternoon, to remind me of the upcoming appointment and the anxiety has set in again. Every little twinge from my teeth/gums is suddenly proof my teeth are falling out and they'll all need pulling out.

Was sort of banking on the fact I've got stuff to do between now and my appointment working as something of a distraction, it's fair to say that it isn't going to plan.

M

Moley

By the way, is there anything in the old wives' tale about ibuprofen before a cleaning helping with the pain?

M

Moley

One step closer to what is hopefully 'See you in 6/12 months'.

Explained my jaw ache and that I grind/clench my teeth and the dentist poked and prodded a couple of them that have been mostly in the firing line and then moved on, so I'm assuming the damage I've already done isn't too severe.

Got impressions for a mouth guard done, thankfully at the significantly cheaper price margin. Little bit uncomfortable on the front tooth, which is moving forward like the frontman of a band to hog the limelight and the jaw from having to hold my mouth wide for a few minutes but thankfully nothing too severe. Worst thing is getting rid of the taste of the gunge they use to make it, I rinsed my mouth three times and it's still there.

I pointed out the little pit on the tooth next to the limelight hogger, which again she poked and prodded before saying there was no decay in it.

She said my teeth are 'very clean' except for a bit of tartar on the back of my bottom front ones and the staining, so I made an appointment for a scale and polish and to get the guard for next Friday afternoon. Definitely feels like a step forward but naturally I'm holding off from celebrating too much until this scale and polish next week and I get over the £100 spend.

M

Moley

Picked up my mouth guard yesterday and the first night with it was an awkward one, which saw me wake up a number of times and the guard feel really tight on that front tooth that is slowly moving forward.

Woke up with an incredibly dry mouth this morning but with the jaw ache at a minimum, which has remained that way for most of the day. However about 20 minutes ago, I noticed that the troublesome tooth that does the brunt of the grinding doesn't quite feel like it usually does when I run my tongue across it. Really hoping I've not damaged one of the fillings with it already.