• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Freaked out, almost coping bad infection

S

SallyUK

Hi
I am in a bit of trouble coping with my situation. I have had lots of dental work but not a situation like this where my dentist can't quite tell me what is going on, except to say I have a bad infection and he will review the situation next week and possible refer me if he can't find out where the infection is coming from! That freaked me out, but I think that just means that it's a little complicated and he wants to make sure he does the right treatment to cure the infection............. my anxiety prefers immediate certainty! I can't have that right now.

Anyway I have had a really bad episode of night clenching on one side, lots of pain in my muscles and referring into gums and teeth. Bashing my canine and incisor teeth, that felt tender. I did have a day with some horrible throbbing, but it went away. I then had a back molar crown fall off - went to dentist who said this needs a RCT, he helped relax my jaw and gave me excercises for the muscles, my bite felt off, it was horrible.

The next day my jaw felt more in place and better than before and I had a scheduled check up - no xrays taken as they did this six months ago at my check. He noticed a couple of bad gum pockets of 5 and bleeding, I have worked hard with gums and usually they are 1/2's but this area has had trouble before, so he said keep up the cleaning.

Three days later I noticed a sore bump at the root of my canine tooth, on the palate side, I'd never had this before so I waited, it got bigger and I called emergency dentist, they said use salt water rinse and wait till monday, if got worse call. I went to regular dentist on the Monday, by which time the gums around my canine tooth were very swollen and dark red, the pimple on the inside had come to a head and burst - so scary and disgusting.

Dentist took an xray and from what I could see, nothing much showing, took another at a slightly different angle and a large dark area above the incisor tooth - not the one with swollen gums! Freaking out at this point. He drilled a hole in the incisor - momentary pain which dentist said might be last life in the nerve, packed it with filling, said it's good it's draining and gave me penicillin.

So anxious when I came home that I rang the dentist, he was very kind and said it was nothing sinister and it was a nasty acute infection and a bit confusing as to the source but these things happen. Reassured me that the most danger I was in was to become frozen by my anxiety and not do anything - take the antibiotics and he would be able to see clearer after that and make a plan. Call him if things don't improve

So, I took the antibiotics (first time in about 20 yrs) and felt awful, nausea and no appetite, the gums improved within a couple of days and the very tender area high up on the gum above both teeth continued to settle down. I finished them yesterday and last night and again today, I feel twinges in the tooth he drilled a hole in and I think liquid is still draining occasionally into the bump on my palate, although that was fairly flat by the time I got to see him last week.

It's freaking me out that I had a bad infection and almost didn't know until the gums began to swell and I've never had a bump on the gum with stuff coming out. If I press on the gum it feels like my tooth is moving and that area is connected to the stuff coming out (clear but a bit bloody - normal?) .......... the tooth that had gum issue is sitting a bit high, dentist said that was expected. I know the tooth/teeth wont be free of infection till treated but is it normal to feel twinges after a hole is put in the tooth, they are sort of nervy feelings, like reaction to cold, but tooth isn't reacting to cold, percussion makes it feel like it's going up into my nose aaarrrh I guess it's good that it is draining......

I guess I am afraid of what is going on in there and freaked out incase it all flares up again and the dentist doesn't yet have a treatment plan. he told me it was either one tooth, both teeth or my gums. I'm just pretty upset that such an acute situation seemed to come out of nowhere when we keep a close eye on my mouth as it is heavily restored and fairly compromised I guess.

Okay, just needed to get that out - I know the rational part of me, says this pain level is ok and expected and I am in safe hands and not to worry, it will be sorted one way or another. Just feeling miserable and my teeth feel super vulnerable :cry: I guess I would know if it was flaring badly and not just irritated............ do antibiotics stay in your system and keep working a bit after stopping? How would I know if they hadn't worked? From what I can see they have - but freaked out that all this infection seemed to come on so quickly - but maybe it didn't, xray wrong angle? maybe it is chronic

Can you tell I am overthinking and anxious............... I hate anxiety

P/s Horrible taste in my mouth - thought it was the penicillin but guess it's the temporary filling in the incisor. Tooth feels hollow and super vulnerable, I do hate this

Last edited:
Hi Sally, I remember your previous thread. I have not had this situation exactly, but I have been in the position where my dentist couldn’t figure out what was wrong. I ended up being referred to Maxillo Facial, and it actually turned out (after a load of tests including an MRI) that my facial nerves are mis-firing causing pain, but my teeth are fine.

I was SO anxious and upset, waiting was horrible, and I felt like my dentist was washing her hands of me. Now I have a diagnosis I am still really anxious about it all, but I understand that my dentist wanted me to have the best possible care, which I am still receiving.

I know that doesn’t help you, and it is absolutely horrible dealing with such terrible worry (I am not scared of the dentist, or treatment, but I am a really anxious person and I HATE anything I don’t know or understand) on top of having to manage daily life. Hang in there, I really sympathise, and really hope you get things sorted soon.

Hi Sally, I remember your previous thread. I have not had this situation exactly, but I have been in the position where my dentist couldn’t figure out what was wrong. I ended up being referred to Maxillo Facial, and it actually turned out (after a load of tests including an MRI) that my facial nerves are mis-firing causing pain, but my teeth are fine.

I was SO anxious and upset, waiting was horrible, and I felt like my dentist was washing her hands of me. Now I have a diagnosis I am still really anxious about it all, but I understand that my dentist wanted me to have the best possible care, which I am still receiving.

I know that doesn’t help you, and it is absolutely horrible dealing with such terrible worry (I am not scared of the dentist, or treatment, but I am a really anxious person and I HATE anything I don’t know or understand) on top of having to manage daily life. Hang in there, I really sympathise, and really hope you get things sorted soon.

ooo that sounds painful but as you say it is helpful to have an explanation for the pain. I have never had the dentist sound perplexed, its un-nerving isn't it? The tooth is super sensitive, It hurt when he drilled the hole to drain it, it's a similar pain, coming on and then going. Will ring my dentist if it gets worse. I have no idea what symptoms are expected or indicating action is needed. Such a stress. Thank you for yourmessage.

Back