• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Freezing Roof of Mouth = No Gag?

bumbledethump

bumbledethump

For a severe gag reflex, instead of sedation, can a dentist freeze the roof of the mouth? That way the patient can't feel the impression, for example.

If so, what does having the roof of your mouth frozen feel like? Can you still swallow and such?

Thank you.

Hi bumbledethump :)
I sympathize with you - I also have a sensitive gag reflex. Not fun, is it?
However, there are worse things in life than gagging. Not that I'd list it as one of my favourite hobbies, but I've gagged through impressions many times and am yet to actually throw up on the dentist's shoes.

There are ways to minimize it - closing the back of your throat and breathing through your nose tends to subdue it, although I invariably watch the second hand of the clock all the while, longing for the gunk to be taken out of my mouth!

When getting used to actually wearing dentures, I've learnt that holding a peppermint or gum in my mouth helps a lot until my mouth gets used to the feeling of it being there. Let's face it, we often push more food into our mouths than is on the denture, and we rarely gag on that, so if you can convince your mouth that what's in there is actually food, it helps a lot. With a peppermint or sweet in there, the saliva gets excited and forgets about the denture. Not sure the dentist would let you keep a sweet in while having an impression done, though. :mad:

An impression is just plain yucky. And for people like us (I can't even gargle, I gag if I try!) they are a downright nightmare. But they last for a few minutes, we gag for a few seconds, close your throat, breathe through your nose, focus on a spot on the wall, close your eyes and think of the Empire, lol. You'll get through it, you won't die, and soon you can have a beautiful smile again! ;D

Thanks Sandy. You're absolutely right in everything you said.

My dentist suggested trying freezing the roof of my mouth so I wanted to see what the other dentist(s) on this board thought about this idea, and if anyone has had any personal experience with it.

If you freeze the roof of your mouth does it stop you gagging?

Dave.:)

That's what I'm asking, Dave. :)

And does it feel like the roof of your mouth is swollen, thus making it difficult to swallow, which would mean you'd probably gag.

Right I am not sure.

Dave.:confused:

Hi

You suppress the gag reflex by several methods. For many people and over=the-counter throat spray works well. If your gag reflex is very sensitive then the dentist can prescribe you viscous lidocaine 2%.

This is a liquid that you swish in your mouth for about 30 seconds. It temporarily numbs the gag reflex. The effect lasts for about 5-10 minutes. It is used for cold sores and mouth ulcers.

Any numbing, even from locals does not effect the swallow reflex or interfere with breathing or other normal functions.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Stress Doc.

Dave.:cheers:

Thank you...................

So nobody's had this done? Nobody can tell me what to expect from personal experience?

Hi

The effect is very light, almost imperceptible. The liquid lidocaine has limited penetration. It will feel similar to keeping ice cold water in your mouth for a few minutes.

Impressions only last a few minutes. This will suppress the gag reflex nicely. Nothing worry about, you will do great.

Blessings :)

This worked beautifully. The dentist anaesthetized the roof of my mouth and I didn't feel the impression at all, so no gagging. It felt like the roof of my mouth was a little swollen but I could breathe fine and swallow fine.

Good job :respect:

I hate impressions

Back