• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Frightened

S

Scarycat

I have just found this site and it is nice to know I am not the only person who is so frightened of the dentist.i havnt been to a dentist for over 30 years and my teeth are in a sorry state now . I am so scared from making appointment to the thought they will all have to come out everything about the dentist frightens me and none of my family would understand how I feel . Half of me is ready to sort them out and the other half of me is defiantly not .

You’ll know when you are ready.

You have more resources available to help you than you may realize.

You’ll make it to the other side of this.

Hi,

This wonderful website and its blissful forum in particular can really help you by providing you practical advice as well as support.
Reading your thread, it seems like the biggest obsticle in coping with this fear is the fact that you have been avoiding the dentist for a long time. Through the years the fear get more rooted in. The initial reason that kept you away in the first place might be different than current themes you find frightening (please correct me if I am wrong).
I strongly believe that the best way to overcome dental fear is by finding a dentist you can trust and then building trustful relationship so that your concerns and needs can be addressed. It may take time and endless feedbacks.
It would be helpful if you wrote to us what certain things you don't want to have during a dental appointment and what things can help to make such an appointment successful. You can also mention what is your motivation to cope with this fear.

Cheers,
Dr. Daniel

You’ll know when you are ready.

You have more resources available to help you than you may realize.

You’ll make it to the other side of this.

I hope so I think this is the first step actually writing down how scared I am .

Hi,

This wonderful website and its blissful forum in particular can really help you by providing you practical advice as well as support.
Reading your thread, it seems like the biggest obsticle in coping with this fear is the fact that you have been avoiding the dentist for a long time. Through the years the fear get more rooted in. The initial reason that kept you away in the first place might be different than current themes you find frightening (please correct me if I am wrong).
I strongly believe that the best way to overcome dental fear is by finding a dentist you can trust and then building trustful relationship so that your concerns and needs can be addressed. It may take time and endless feedbacks.
It would be helpful if you wrote to us what certain things you don't want to have during a dental appointment and what things can help to make such an appointment successful. You can also mention what is your motivation to cope with this fear.

Cheers,
Dr. Daniel

when I think back to school days I can remember being frightened then but can't put my finger on a specific reason what I am so scared , I know now I am embarrassed about if I have to have them all out and actually annoyed with myself

You got this!

You are doing everything right.

Keep us posted.

You are going to surprise us all, and none more than yourself.

I would wish you luck, but you don’t need it: you already have everything it takes to succeed.

That is is because you are already a success.

You got this!

You are doing everything right.

Keep us posted.

You are going to surprise us all, and none more than yourself.

I would wish you luck, but you don’t need it: you already have everything it takes to succeed.

That is is because you are already a success.

I totally agree with dg6300,, you really are taking all the right steps..and you have everything it takes, you are now thinking about it, you are writing on the forum and taking it step by step ... have you looked into any specific dentists at all? any ideas? there are so many that are kind and would love to help you !