• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

From scared to successful!

• Thread starter Scarednomore8827
  • Start date
S

Scarednomore8827

I’ve been a lurker on here for the last two weeks. I discovered this forum after I had a bit of a traumatic dental appointment.
Backstory- I hadn’t been to the dentist in almost 10 years. It had gotten to the point where I had a broken tooth (crown came off and I never got it replaced) along with some tartar build up. I was terrified to go for fear of embarrassment and also major phobia of the feeling of numbness. I had a root canal about 13 years ago and had a very strong reaction to the local (pounding heart, whole body shaking) and it made me way too scared to go back.

Well I did a ton of research and found a dentist who had great reviews. With much trepidation, I got myself in for a consult and was relieved to find out that I would need a new crown, some fillings, and a deep cleaning. I had thought I would need extractions, etc. I explained my fears to my dentist and he was very kind and gentle and we made a treatment plan.

Well, I went in for my second appointment two weeks ago, for the cleaning in half my mouth and the crown placement. As soon as the local went in, sure enough, I had a pounding heart and was shaking head to toe. It was very unpleasant but I focused on deep breathing and made it through the appointment.

that night, I found this forum and read success stories every night leading up to my third appointment today. Through this thread, I found out that there is an injection that does not contain epinephrine. Well, when I went to my dentist today I asked if I could have that local instead, that does not contain epi, and the difference was NIGHT AND DAY. No shaking, no heart pounding, no anxiety. I was relaxed almost the whole time. And now I am all squared away for 6 months!

I wouldn’t have known about the epi free injections if it weren’t for this thread. Reading everyone’s success stories has helped me tremendously with my confidence. I’m sharing this in the hopes that it will help someone the way this forum has helped me. You can do it!! We can do hard things!!

Fantastic news! Thanks for posting your success story. It helps others (like me) tremendously. Hooray for a great dental visit.

I’ve been a lurker on here for the last two weeks. I discovered this forum after I had a bit of a traumatic dental appointment.
Backstory- I hadn’t been to the dentist in almost 10 years. It had gotten to the point where I had a broken tooth (crown came off and I never got it replaced) along with some tartar build up. I was terrified to go for fear of embarrassment and also major phobia of the feeling of numbness. I had a root canal about 13 years ago and had a very strong reaction to the local (pounding heart, whole body shaking) and it made me way too scared to go back.

Well I did a ton of research and found a dentist who had great reviews. With much trepidation, I got myself in for a consult and was relieved to find out that I would need a new crown, some fillings, and a deep cleaning. I had thought I would need extractions, etc. I explained my fears to my dentist and he was very kind and gentle and we made a treatment plan.

Well, I went in for my second appointment two weeks ago, for the cleaning in half my mouth and the crown placement. As soon as the local went in, sure enough, I had a pounding heart and was shaking head to toe. It was very unpleasant but I focused on deep breathing and made it through the appointment.

that night, I found this forum and read success stories every night leading up to my third appointment today. Through this thread, I found out that there is an injection that does not contain epinephrine. Well, when I went to my dentist today I asked if I could have that local instead, that does not contain epi, and the difference was NIGHT AND DAY. No shaking, no heart pounding, no anxiety. I was relaxed almost the whole time. And now I am all squared away for 6 months!

I wouldn’t have known about the epi free injections if it weren’t for this thread. Reading everyone’s success stories has helped me tremendously with my confidence. I’m sharing this in the hopes that it will help someone the way this forum has helped me. You can do it!! We can do hard things!!

Well done that’s amazing. I’m so glade you found something that really helped your experience at the dentist with the Epi free injection! And it sounds like you found a kind patient dentist too. It’s excellent to hear people’s experiences and success stories and I know I found it so helpful going through my journey too!

Congratulations for going back to the dentist after 10 years and your experience with the pounding heart etc. Must have been tough. You must be do proud of yourself as you should be :welldone:

Back