• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is very afraid of dentistry or who suffers with dental phobia. Please note that this is NOT a dental problems forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Front lower incisors slightly loose, gums receeded

T

terrytooth

Hey all,

I’ve had this ongoing issue with my lower front two incisors for some time now and it doesn’t seem to be getting better.

After a deep cleaning 6 or so months ago the teeth have felt loose. Me being anxious I used to constantly check if the teeth were loose by pulling and pushing on them, this actually made one of them loose which I saw a dentist for about a month ago. He said the gums under these two teeth looked slightly inflamed and prescribed a week worth of antibiotics. He noted there was some very slight bone loss (said probably from braces as a teen) and said there was nothing needed to be cleaned. All my pocket depths sounded like they were 3 and under based on the numbers he was reeling off.

The teeth constantly ache, like when I used to wear a retainer. They definitely have some mobility still, but it isn’t much. I’m trying my hardest not to fiddle with the teeth.

I just don’t know what to do anymore it’s driving me mad and sending my anxiety through the roof. I’ve been to the dentist maybe 6 times this year and I can’t keep getting it off work which makes me even more anxious. The only other thing I can note that changed is I got a lower night guard made, I’m going tomorrow to get another one moulded but a hard one this time. As I don’t like this one and it sometimes gives me that retainer aching feeling on the teeth despite it being worn day and night for 6 months.

Sorry for the long post, I’m just running out of ideas and cant keep getting time off work to see a dentist again.

T

terrytooth

This is what my teeth look like currently060870C3-BC9A-4F32-BE5D-98942C4A8EA9.jpeg

drhirst

drhirst

Verified dentist
Hi terrytooth,
It is impossible to diagnose from the information given but I think your idea of changing the nightguard is a good move based on the situation as you have described it.
I hope your hunch proves to be right.

T

terrytooth

@drhirst Thanks for the reply and fingers crossed it helps., if not then back I go. It’s just the slight mobility I can’t handle, the dentist I saw last didn’t seem too concerned but it freaks me out and makes me worried they’ll fall out. He did test my bite by making me bite on a strip thing which did show some force coming down on the teeth in question, that may be another avenue I’ll have to pursue.

Gordon

Gordon

Staff member
Verified dentist
I apologise for stating the obvious here, but you do remember that the teeth are supposed to move slightly in a healthy mouth? They're not solidly implanted into the jaw bone, there's a little ligament between the two to help with shock absorption when chewing/biting.
Lower incisors have fairly short roots and it's easy to feel them give slightly when you shove on them.

T

terrytooth

@Gordon Funny you say that, I actually didn’t until my dentist told me about a month back. This tooth is definitely above normal movement but I saw a dentist today and he isn’t worried about it. Since it’s more than likely caused by clenching I have pain too which is making it more sensitive and I’m kinda feeling everything in the tooth, so it feels a lot worse than it is.

Hoping my new dental guard that’s being made can help prevent this as it’s a bit harder, the dentist also took impressions of my top teeth so the people making it can see my bite as the current one actually makes my top teeth apply some pressure to the teeth in question when I bite.

Fingers crossed we make some progress, thank you for the reply!