• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Front teeth crowns feel bulkier than original teeth??

B

bluemyselftoday

The laboratory that made crowns (e.max) for my two front teeth charged extra for their "aesthetic skills", compared to crowns for other teeth. The whole experience was very frustrating because they never let me have enough time to try them on before cementing then on permanently, I was all numbed up and I couldn't feel them properly. I looked at them briefly and they looked pretty similar. But after the numbness wore off, it was obvious they don't feel like my old teeth, they felt bulkier in the back. I'm kicking myself now for not insisting on temporary adhesive or giving me time to feel them first.

I don't understand why they charged more and took my original teeth mold if they weren't even going to bother with duplicating the rear indents of my original teeth (side that's facing the tongue). My tongue can tell the difference, I'm positive my original ones had a concave indent and now it's like a larger bump in the back and noticeably thicker than the adjacent teeth.

I thought my front teeth is supposedly my thinnest teeth, now it doesn't make sense. I'm quite unhappy and I feel like my dentist was rushing me, and they insisted the thickness is very similar to my original, but my tongue, which is very familiar with my original teeth, knows the difference. What are they trying to pull? Did I get ripped off? Or was the extra thickness necessary for the crown to survive realistic chewing forces? I'm very confused. Everyone keeps saying their crowns feel like their real teeth and they don't know the difference. But at the moment, I can physically feel the difference 24 hours a day. :cry:

Last edited:
Crown must have a minimal thickness to be successful. The tooth might have already been thin or it wasn’t r diced enough. I can’t say

bluemyselftoday,

That sounds really hard, and you know how they felt before and thats what you are used to... did you get a chance to go in and have them looked at after the fact after the numbing wore off and were you able to really communicate these concerns with them, ? I know many years back I got some front crowns and the dentist did them wrong twice, third times a charm. It was really hard to go back and say.. hey this is not working it feels not right and go through all that , but. he did make right with it and wanted to make sure they were good for me. Those crowns are still on almost 15 years later. Hopefully they can do something to make you comfortable with your crowns.

Any scheduled times to go back and talk or take a look ?

I'm so anxious about any additional work, especially since they've both been root-canaled and have been through major trauma with my accident, one of them still hurts after 7 weeks and I don't know if it's due to a hidden hairline fracture or whatnot so I really don't want them touching them any more.

I got a different dentist (same office) to do some reduction on the back and I think I can go back and get them to do the same reduction on the other tooth, but I don't know what the risks are if I ask them to re-do the crowns. I've read with any additional procedure, that increases the the likelihood of permanent failure of root-canaled teeth so I'm frightened they're going to break my teeth!

Even when they were being fitted, I felt something was wrong because it felt like my front two teeth were being pulled apart and I was almost yelling and making gestures that it was being pulled apart, they shaved off the insides so it felt much better, but I'm absolutely livid that this "lab" or dental office didn't reproduce the original dimensions. If they had, I wouldn't have been screaming about feeling my teeth was horizontally being pulled apart.

Last edited:
I am nervous about this as well. If my front tooth ever settles after my root canal, I will be getting a crown. My one experience with a crown was not positive, although it was on a molar. The lab did a terrible job on it, and the dentist at the time rushed me through as well. The crown had always felt off, and never fit right. They cemented it on with a gap between the crown amd my gums, and then my bite was off. They tried fixing it but could only grind down so far on the crown and ended up having to grind my opposite molar to make it fit. So I am terrified to get this crown, although I adore my new dentist.

I hope they can get it fixed for you. My crown never did feel right. It always felt too big, but I did get used to it after a while.

Back