• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Front teeth decay and filling.

A

Absake

My dentist noticed two minor areas with decay on the back of both my two front teeth by merely shining through them, i.e., no x-rays. I asked him if the configuration of the teeth would change after minor (conservative) drilling and filling, but he said no, as only a small area would be affected at the back of these teeth. However, having done that, something flaked off in the front producing a greater gap between these two teeth than was therefore before, and so I went back.

The dentist then packed more filling onto the tooth in the area between these teeth, and it seems now to stay put there, but the other tooth experienced the same problem a day later, i.e., a part cracked off and opened up a small gap again between these two front teeth (although gaps seem to magnify when you feel them with your tongue). Obviously the small drilling must have caused the tooth to crack open on the front side.
Questions:
Is this a common thing to happen?
Why were x-rays not taken?
Would it not have been better to actually wait for a hole to emerge, before grasping for the drill bit?

1) No, that doesn't sound normal
2) No need to, using the light (we call it transillumination) is quite effective in seeing decay between front teeth. X-rays always carry a slight risk of the exposure so if they aren't necessary they should be avoided
3) Can't say without seeing for myself, but in general if cavities were visible just visually, then it's time to intervene.

Thanks for response.
We did a refill to close the gap and subsequently smoothed down or tooth (readjustment).
On a more general front: Does not drilling and filling involve a bit more than that, e.g., sculpting the tooth properly. This seems particularly important with front teeth, I would think, as they are important in enunciation and speech. As it is now, I've noticed that I am suddenly hissing or whistling when pronouncing sibilants, i.e., the S, sh, etc.
Can a dentist be expected to ensure that this sort of thing will not occur, and how can it be remedied?
Thanks very much in advance for any comments and thoughts on this.

Yes, we try to restore the anatomy of the tooth as much as possible, so we do take some time to "sculpt" the surfaces. Sometimes it's necessary to adjust things a bit more if it's not quite right, so get back onto your dentist and tell them you're not speaking properly.

Thanks again for feedback and advice.
What characterizes the situation a bit better is that a gap between the two front teeth #8 and #9 has emerged toward the gum line and extending quite a bit upward. Every time my new dentist (had to drop the old one) tries to fill this gap with composite material, it gets unstuck within a few days. :mad:
I watch people on TV, e.g., Tony Blair, with silver fillings between front teeth. I am assuming that those fillings are not just falling out all the time. So what could be the problem with this?
Some neat polishing of these teeth was done, reducing their thickness back to normal, and this helps actually the situation where you have problems pronouncing sibilants such as -s, -ns, -tch. These teeth are clearly determining for good pronunciation.
Apparently, the whole backside of these teeth was filled over with composite, not just where the cavities or decay was present.
Appreciate any suggestions/comments. I am actually in the US.

I watch people on TV, e.g., Tony Blair, with silver fillings between front teeth. I am assuming that those fillings are not just falling out all the time. So what could be the problem with this?

Don't get what you mean - just googled images of Tony Blair smile and couldn't see any amalgam in the smile line. Even the NHS does white fillings at the front as standard.
He does have a weird bottom row tooth though in some pics but not sure it is amalgam.

Okay, my bad. You'll have to admit he often flashes a huge grin exposing his teeth, of which the upper front tooth seems cracked and in need of some repair. NHS can't fix this? :sleepyjuice:

Okay, my bad. You'll have to admit he often flashes a huge grin exposing his teeth, of which the upper front tooth seems cracked and in need of some repair. NHS can't fix this? :sleepyjuice:

Show me a pic! Tony should be able to afford a private dentist lol. He may be a dentaphobe though!

You can go here and see for yourself: [broken link removed]

Great debater but still can't hold a candle to Christopher Hitchens, when it comes down to the wire :party:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great debater but still can't hold a candle to Christopher Hitchens, when it comes down to the wire :party:

Could barely hold a candle to Christopher Biggins these days :ROFLMAO:

Pardon me, it's me again, but I had another question for you all:
My new dentist has now polished down the back of my front teeth, which in my opinion were plastered over with composite filling raising them to a very high level. How do you actually distinguish between filling material and real tooth substance, since they look exactly the same, and may even feel exactly the same. I am somewhat baffled by at least two dentists now saying they saw no composite filling material on my tooth, even though clearly fillings had been done. I am certain that I not hallucinating, I even felt with my tongue a large area being excavated in the back of my tooth. I am very baffled by this. Kindly respond, while good humored comments are not discouraged, I would much rather prefer messages that stay on point.

You distinguish using magnification, angling the light source around with a mirror and feeling with the metal probe. The new composites are so good that it's becoming harder to tell.

Thanks, Gordon, I do appreciate indeed the feedback.

Back