• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Front teeth disaster

J

JHC

I had a filling come out while flossing in April and the dentist filled it with a “translucent “ filling. Made it sound like it would change in shade to match my teeth whatever shade they were. They look horrible! I also think there maybe some nerve irritation because they feel fuzzy, like they are peeling?, and weak at times. The numbing medicine did not work completely during procedure and I have dental anxiety anyway, so it was not pleasant. I have had crowns suggested, but they want to do 4-8 for aesthetics . I don’t wish to do that, nor do I have the $.

Attachments

• 5FBF2CDC-4D01-452D-9D20-B30D53926BB5.jpeg
    5FBF2CDC-4D01-452D-9D20-B30D53926BB5.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 30
Can you go back to the original dentist and ask to have the filling redone? I had a filling on my front tooth, from breaking it as a child. Mine looked just slightly off color, but was barely noticeable.

Redoing the fillings would seem a decent alternative, it can be tricky to match the shade but they should be able to improve on those.

Call me a cynic, but personally I'd be inclined to cut my losses and find another dentist who has a special interest in cosmetic bonding... (the suggestion of 4-8 crowns would also sway me into that direction - sounds like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut)

That’s how I feel. I am going to use another dentist. I am terrified of having them worked on again anyway, but I couldn’t imagine having that amount of work on unaffected teeth. Thank you!

Sounds like a plan. Good luck with your search! Let us know how you get on :)

That’s how I feel. I am going to use another dentist. I am terrified of having them worked on again anyway, but I couldn’t imagine having that amount of work on unaffected teeth. Thank you!
Sounds like a good plan. It shouldn’t be too hard to redo the filling. I had mine redone twice, once when I got my braces off (because it was angled wrong as my tooth was really crooked before) and then again in my early 20’s as it was leaking.
I definitely would not want crowns on the other teeth either!

Back