• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Front tooth extraction tomorrow...

M

Manz82

Hi. I'm new here. I suppose I'm here for a little advice and information.
I have panic disorder and generalised anxiety as well as a huge gear of dentists and doctors...
Anyway, over the past couple of months I have been on a journey to overcome my dental fears as my two front teeth are capped and the right one has snapped below the gum line and needs extracting.
Before this, I had never even had a filling.
The only work I ever had done was the caps on front teeth for cosmetic reasons.
Now I hate the way I look. They make me feel ugly and worthless.
I don't smile or talk much to people I don't know...

The past months I. .
Overcame the fear enough to visit the dentist and have xrays (I broke down and cried)
Another appointment for a clean and polish
Third appointment was for a deep filling which required numbing - this is where I freaked out, because of the needles.... I was absolutely fine and even began to relax in the chair... that filling took 45 minutes
I went back the following week for another filling, with a other numbing shot... again, fine. Nervous, but handled it...
Tomorrow is the big one (in my head)
Extraction of my front right tooth and preparation for a bridge
How do I get through it?
I am absolutely petrified!
I don't want to be sedated, as I don't like not being in control. But I don't know how to get through this extraction without being scared to death!
I don't even know what they will do and that is adding to the fear.
How long will it take?
Will I be ok?
Please anyone, advise me.

You will be just fine! Two weeks ago I had 3 extractions, including a wisdom tooth. It seriously only takes a couple of minutes. I wasn’t Sedated either. And two were surgically removed. Most of the time is spent waiting for the numbing to kick in. And then it’s just pressure. I can assure you it will be over before you know it! Hang in there and You will absolutely be fine! I understand the fear, I hadn’t been to the dentist in many years. Good luck! The end goal will be worth it.

You will be just fine! Two weeks ago I had 3 extractions, including a wisdom tooth. It seriously only takes a couple of minutes. I wasn’t Sedated either. And two were surgically removed. Most of the time is spent waiting for the numbing to kick in. And then it’s just pressure. I can assure you it will be over before you know it! Hang in there and You will absolutely be fine! I understand the fear, I hadn’t been to the dentist in many years. Good luck! The end goal will be worth it.
Thank you for your reply... it genuinely means a lot right now!
My extraction is also a surgical one, which makes it sound so scary and daunting!
I so badly want nice front teeth, I want my confidence back, this is what is driving me. But the fear is horrendous and I don't want to be a wreck tomorrow.
Do surgical extractions feel any different to normal extractions? Am I hyping it all up too much? Should I just treat it like I did with the big filling, and lie back and let the dentist do her thing?

I had my front right upper tooth extracted a little over a year ago. I had an implant put in at the same time, and bone grafting, along with the surgeon having to clean infection from the area. My appointment didn’t even take an hour so I am guessing yours will be much quicker. I have a lot of anxiety around injections and extractions as well. I also don’t like not feeling in control. I opted for nitrous oxide, as it relaxes me and makes the injections more bearable but also still allows me to be “tuned in and responsive”. I can tune out if I choose or I can focus on what is going on. I like that option. Have you tried nitrous before?

I had my front right upper tooth extracted a little over a year ago. I had an implant put in at the same time, and bone grafting, along with the surgeon having to clean infection from the area. My appointment didn’t even take an hour so I am guessing yours will be much quicker. I have a lot of anxiety around injections and extractions as well. I also don’t like not feeling in control. I opted for nitrous oxide, as it relaxes me and makes the injections more bearable but also still allows me to be “tuned in and responsive”. I can tune out if I choose or I can focus on what is going on. I like that option. Have you tried nitrous before?
No I've never tried it and my dentist hasn't offered it to me. I have been prescribed 5mg diazepam tablets from my doctor to take an hour before the appointment. She said that will help me relax. I did take 2mg before my filling due to the fear of the needle and that took the edge off enough for me to sit for the treatment.

You've achieved so much already! Well done.
I had my front two teeth extracted a few years ago now, I wasn't sedated for it though just numbed. I could not believe how quick the two were removed. In fact when the dentist told me that part was done, I couldn't believe it! It was quicker than a filling. That's my experience.
Best of luck, although I don't think you'll need it, you're doing a great.

You've achieved so much already! Well done.
I had my front two teeth extracted a few years ago now, I wasn't sedated for it though just numbed. I could not believe how quick the two were removed. In fact when the dentist told me that part was done, I couldn't believe it! It was quicker than a filling. That's my experience.
Best of luck, although I don't think you'll need it, you're doing a great.
Thank you! I'm sat trying to relax right now but my stomach is in knots!
Reading posts like yours really does help.
What did you have as a replacement for your front teeth? I'm having the left cap taken off and a bridge to cover the right missing tooth... only problem is, I will have to be without a tooth tooth a week! Face masks are a very good thing for me right now!

Thank you! I'm sat trying to relax right now but my stomach is in knots!
Reading posts like yours really does help.
What did you have as a replacement for your front teeth? I'm having the left cap taken off and a bridge to cover the right missing tooth... only problem is, I will have to be without a tooth tooth a week! Face masks are a very good thing for me right now!
Not all dentists offer nitrous. My regular dentist did not. I had to have a molar extracted with the dentist and was prescribed lorazepam. It was like you described...took the edge off.
Honestly it will go very quickly and will not be that painful afterwards. Even with all I had done with mine, I was just taking regular Tylenol a few days and then didn’t need it much.
I had a flipper for six months while my implant healed. It wasn’t ideal but it worked. The face masks help a lot to hide dental work. Lol.

Manz82,

Really wishing you a good appointment tomorrow , hope everything goes great! I think the worst part of extractions is the thinking about it and nerves beforehand . I know that is the case for me. I've had a "few " extractions. I always plan on resting after and get myself some of my favorite soft foods and plan to take it easy. Hope you can do the same. Will be thinking of you!! :grouphug:

I did it! I had the tooth extracted and I am now home, laying on the sofa with a gauze in my mouth while I type this, literally filled with pride and relief with myself, despite the fact that I am now missing a front tooth for a week ?
The whole experience was helped tremendously by the fact that my new dentist is lovely, patient, caring, understanding and above all, knows my anxiety and let's me voice my fears and puts me at rest.
So the past few months I've had cleanings, fillings, moulds taken, xrays and today a tooth out... I think I can finally say I am no longer phobic of the dentist.
Onwards and upwards to my new pearly whites.

Just want to say, this is so awesome ,, you made it through and are now on the other side of all this dental work, and also that the dentist and office was so lovely!! Hope your healing is quick and smooth and you can reward yourself :).

Just want to say, this is so awesome ,, you made it through and are now on the other side of all this dental work, and also that the dentist and office was so lovely!! Hope your healing is quick and smooth and you can reward yourself :).
Thank you so much!
I am so relieved the hardest part is over and I got through it with just numbing, no sedation. A kind and understanding dentist is definitely what we need!

I did it! I had the tooth extracted and I am now home, laying on the sofa with a gauze in my mouth while I type this, literally filled with pride and relief with myself, despite the fact that I am now missing a front tooth for a week ?
The whole experience was helped tremendously by the fact that my new dentist is lovely, patient, caring, understanding and above all, knows my anxiety and let's me voice my fears and puts me at rest.
So the past few months I've had cleanings, fillings, moulds taken, xrays and today a tooth out... I think I can finally say I am no longer phobic of the dentist.
Onwards and upwards to my new pearly whites.
Great job! I hope the healing is quick!

Back