• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Front Tooth replaced with partial and I'm freaked out !!!!

S

savinglivestoday

I am a 40yr old female. I am a social worker and am around the public for my job. I have played softball all my life and about a year ago I got elbowed in the mouth. My front tooth became a little loose but at that time I did not have dental insurance. This past Tuesday I was brushing my teeth and my front tooth came out completely. I called the dentist (I dont get dental insurance until Jan 1, 2013...go figure !!) and they got me in the same day. I was crying and embarrassed. The quickest solution was to get a partial denture that has a front tooth replacement. Its basically a retainer with a tooth that I have now.

I am thankful to have a front tooth at least....but when I have to take the retainer out my stress level goes right back up. I can't talk right. I can't eat well. I want to keep the retainer in 24hrs a day but I was told that I should take it out at night.

I know this is all going to take time to get used to but in the meantime I feel stressed and anxious about my mouth.

Any suggestions would help.

Bless you sweetie

Take it from a 53 year old who has recently got complete dentures. My dentist, the lovely Lincoln said he had been to a conference thingy and a guy (can't remember his name), but who is really high up in this country regarding dentures, says, that although some people are told to take their dentures out overnight or whatever to give their mouths a rest, it is really a matter of preference, and as long as you clean your mouth and denture properly, you can have it in for as long as you want.

Food deposits will get under it, and lets face it, I had a difficult enough job after my extractions trying to avoid people I knew, or places where I would actually have to speak because of having no teeth, and although I am now comfortable either with my denture in or out (only out now at home every now and again), I am far more comfortable with it in, and my speech is much better.

You do what is right for you hunni.

Kim xx

Hi,
The retainer that you have is a temporary solution. The fact that it is difficult to bite with it is not easy to deal with but that's why it is called a temporary solution.
It is advised not to sleep with the retainer but if you do it should not be much of a problem, wearing it constantly for a couple of weeks should not cause much damage. As Kim said, it is important to clean the retainer as well as your teeth well.

all the best

Why on earth would you want to sleep with it in ? I actually look forward to taking my partials out at night.

Why on earth would you want to sleep with it in ?

It is very understandable. Losing a front tooth is not easy. It effects not only your communication with others (smiling) but also the way one looks at him/herself. A person who have never experienced it will never understand. That is why it is important to focus on the permanent solution for this solution.

I wanted to edit my last post as I thought I knew a lot but there is so much that I still have to learn and obviously don't know. At the end of the day you will do for you what you feel comfortable with, but it is always helpful to take the advice of someone who does know :)

Kim xx

Back