• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Frustrated and scared by crown problems

P

Porty

Hi,

I am 39 years old and have not had more than a few fillings until about 6 months ago. I have since had two crowns put in, one on the upper left and one on the upper right. The first one (upper left) was sensitive for a few weeks, but is now fine. The second one has been giving me problems since day 1.

It is almost 10 weeks since I had the second crown done (the permanent one) and it hurts when I bite on it (with hard foods). I have been back to the dentist almost weekly and he takes it down a little and tells me to wait 3 days and try again. Today he said that he thinks I should have a root canal treatment. The thing is, the tooth only hurts for a second when I bite down - if I don't eat on that side or only eat soft foods, I don't have any pain. He took an x-ray and said that the root looks healthy, so I don't understand why I need the root canal. (I admit that I am a little nervous...) Surely if the root is healthy and the pain only lasts for a second or two, there is something else I can do? The dentist said that the decay was deep - should I give it more time?

I was told about 25 years ago that I needed root canal, and did not do it (for a few reasons) and my pain tolerance is not that high(!), so I am a little suspicious to begin with.

I appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance.

Back