• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Full Dental Clearance !

A

Ant

Hi

This is my first post so hope its in the right place, apologies if it isn't.

Finally built up the courage to attend my appointment at the dental hospital. Approx 14yrs fear overcome, I was sweating like a pig, my speech was interesting at times and even a few funny looks from the wife but i did it Hoorayy right. Wrong ! The consultant surgeon/dentist has recommended a Full Dental Clearence carried out under oral sedation.
I'm informed by the hospital that once the extractions have been completed, it is then up to me to find a dentist and get help with dentures. Options available seem to be dentures, denture implants or implants. As a smoker I beieve that implants have a higher failure rate leaving just dentures, great. At 33 yrs old, the thought of wearing dentures scares me more than actually going to the dentist. All this for the sake of not being a hypocritical father.

Advice and guidance from anybody would be greatly appreciated as i'm now reverting back to being slightly panicked about what the future holds, i may as well keep what i've got for as long as i can and then when i'm 40-50, get the falsies.

Thankyou for reading.

Ant

Hi :welcome: to the forum why have they said you need all your teeth out?

Are you in pain?

Are you in the UK?

What are you wanting to know?

Do you need full or partial dentures? Why are they scary to you?

Hi Ant and welcome :)

i may as well keep what i've got for as long as i can and then when i'm 40-50, get the falsies

Do you mean that you might not go ahead with the extractions and stay as you are or do you mean that some of your teeth are treatable and able to be saved?

Is the dentists certain that none of your teeth are able to be saved even with root treatment? Did he suggest a full clearance because he didn't think you could cope with treatment?

It might be an idea to start to look for a dentist now before you decide on treatment at the hospital. If you are able to - finance wise - a private dentist may be a better option as you will have a greater choice of treatments than the NHS can offer (assuming you are in the UK). If you tell us where you are in the world we may be able to recommend some dentists.

Smokers can have implants - I know this because a colleague got one - she needed to give up for a few weeks though but I think the failure rate is higher...:/

Cheers
Coolin

Back