• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Full mouth anaesthesia and still felt pain

W

wraoursy

Hello everyone,
Few days ago I have forced myself to finally go see a dentist about a spot that has appeared on my front tooth. I have realized there's no avoiding it cause of the obvious aesthetic reasons.
I informed the dentist about my severe anxiety and she was quite gentle with me. Turned out my gums were in horrible shape, I needed a deep cleaning and scaling done straight away (curettage). The doctor has assured me I will feel no pain.
A total of 12 injections were done. And most of the procedure was ok, not really painful, rather extremely uncomfortable. My whole body was shaking from stress, we had to stop around every 5mins cause I couldn't breathe (not sure why, may be my deviated septum was to blame) and still even with full anaesthesia a few teeth were really sensitive and painful.

I'm supposed to come back to finish my cleaning - do the polishing after a week (could not be done on the day due to excessive bleeding) and I'm terrified. Cause surely it will be done without anaesthesia and those sensitive teeth are troubling me. Will it be painful and what should I prepare for?

The teeth that are sensitive and painful even with full mounth anaesthesia (lower jaw) have fillings done, however the doctor said they need to be redone and that there are cavities again. I'm extremely scared of any kind of manipulations done with these teeth as I'm afraid the anaesthesia will not be sufficient again. The doctor has mentioned something about a neck nerve? I am now considering sedation treatment, will this be a good idea?

Sorry for such a long post, this week in between my two visits all I can think about is my dental issues. I can't even enjoy food anymore cause all I think about is all the teeth cleaning I need to do after. Hoping for some advice. Thanks and Happy New Year.

Deep gum cleaning can be pretty unpleasant, it can be difficult to get deep anaesthesia done for the full mouth, for complicated reasons that I'm happy to discuss by PM but not on the forum.
Suffice it to say, getting one or two teeth completely numb is much less of a challenge, so fillings should be pain free.

Basically you've got through the worst of it, so pat yourself firmly on the back. You could try using sensitive tooth toothpaste until the next appointment. Apply it by massaging it into the sensitive areas with a finger tip last thing at night, then leave it to work undisturbed.

Deep gum cleaning can be pretty unpleasant, it can be difficult to get deep anaesthesia done for the full mouth, for complicated reasons that I'm happy to discuss by PM but not on the forum.
Suffice it to say, getting one or two teeth completely numb is much less of a challenge, so fillings should be pain free.

Basically you've got through the worst of it, so pat yourself firmly on the back. You could try using sensitive tooth toothpaste until the next appointment. Apply it by massaging it into the sensitive areas with a finger tip last thing at night, then leave it to work undisturbed.

Thank you so much for your reply and support! Definetely feel much better about my next appointment.

Hi Wraoursy,

it sounds to me you are in good hands, your dentist invested the time treating you. That shows commitment to your well-being.
polishing is super easy, it’s basically brushing your teeth with an abrasive tooth brush.
here is a short video I made about allowing easy breathing during dental treatment, hope it helps.

Hi Wraoursy,

it sounds to me you are in good hands, your dentist invested the time treating you. That shows commitment to your well-being.
polishing is super easy, it’s basically brushing your teeth with an abrasive tooth brush.
here is a short video I made about allowing easy breathing during dental treatment, hope it helps.

Fantastic! Thank you so much for the reassurance. Will definetely follow the breathing steps as well! Much appreciated.

Back