• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Full mouth extraction=26

J

John Nunnes

I am a 51 yr old male getting 26 extractions in a few days. I will not be put under just given a Valium plus local anesthesia. I am a bit nervous that it won't be enough. I'm not sure what I expect afterward, from what I understand they put dentures in immediately? Not sure how to eat if even possible or recovery time.I am taking 3 days off for recovery thinking that should be enough.
My biggest fear of course is being awake through all of this, thank GOD for MP3 player.... Any advise is welcome.... Be Blessed...

Hi John,

I have sent you a mail already with a link as I saw your other post.

Make sure you have lots of pillows - point of surgery higher than heart.
Ice packs to rotate.
Soft foods in - soups, ice cream.

I sent you a link to a lady of 26 who had the same as you are having.
Take a look at her videos. She is a very smart young lady and has been through it all.

If at all possible I would strongly advise you take a week off at least or at least pre-warn work that you may not be recovered. Somethings in life take a little bit of time and I think what you are going through will be one of those times.
The positive - you will feel one whole lot better, happier I think once you are recovering.

Do you have anyone who can help you out initially? Simple things like making sure you have food and regular ice packs?

Thank you. I just got the links, I will check them out immediately. Thank you again....

Extractions can feel a little forceful, but should be painless with properly applied local. They are quicker than other procedures, so it shouldn't take too long!

They put immediate dentures on immediately after. The dentures help protect the sockets. The advice I was given was to wear them for 24 hours, then take them out, clean them, rinse my mouth with the mouthwash I was given, and wear them again. I couldn't get the top ones back on but that was okay, they just needed adjusting. You should get a quick follow-up appointment with your dentist to adjust the dentures - it's likely they will chafe in places and need a little tweaking.

Stick to liquid foods at first, and when you feel capable, move on to soft solids. Think mashed potato, well-cooked veg, mince, that sort of thing. You'll be given painkillers. Take them as directed. I actually had very little pain, but lots of swelling (probably due to wisdoms), and it was tender to the touch. I mostly took painkillers to keep the swelling down.

Work really depends on the type of job. Anything strenuous I would avoid for a week. Do expect some lisping to start with (this goes away with practice and time!), and expect to feel a bit out of sorts. You'll be highly aware of the dentures for a little while. They might feel big and bulky. Again, this goes away. It's a period of adjustment.

You'll get there though! :)

Wow, thank you Sevena..... Sure am glad I did this, this is GREAT INFORMATION....

This link may help with food ideas: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/faq/soft-foods/

I have put another link here as well, this thread was written by a lady that had dentures put in, I think it will help you a lot. It takes you to page 22, just go back to the first page to read the full thread.

agreeed

Ice pack worked well for me . Get extra gauze incase it starts bleeding again . Might want to get some pain killer or antibotic that helps with pain . I can't imagine the pain you'll be in. Please update your progress so others know what to expect
. Jello and soft foods but try to eat when they can you can. Hardest part is keep extraction site clean

You asked about the Valium too. If you are on any opioid based painkillers you must not take them at the same time as Valium - this is really important.
When you get to the appointment tell them to numb you good and proper - I usually end up with one more injection than my dentist thinks I need - which is fine - he checks around and I can usually feel some pain - so he is happy to give me another jab.
Plus DO NOT DRIVE on Valium - use public transport. The effects can last 8 hours - no driving in that time.

Can I ask what dosage they have set you at on Valium for the appointment and also how many tablets do you have?
I'm guessing the tabs are 5mg per tab?

Also, are you usually nervous/anxious/freaked out - whatever level be honest - I am the freak out and cry like a total baby at the doctors reception just trying to get an appointment to get the Valium type - so you'll get no judgement here! :)
I might be able to help with how effective you think it will be.

By the time I got to the doc I had calmed a bit and he prescribed me 5mg - whereas the dentist had thought I hadn't managed to get any and he prescribed me 15mg - 15mg was right for me and then for my biggest appointment I took 20mg - but in stages.
I took 10mg 2 hours before as I was heart racing, then another 5mg just before I got to the dentist.

The biggest appointment I took 10mg 2 hours before, 5mg an hour before and one more 5mg just before I went in.
In all honestly I don't think I needed the last 5mg. I could have done it without.

If you take them once you really start with the nerves you will feel reassured because you honestly will calm down - so please do let yourself get to almost panic/heart race levels and then take 1-2 hours before your appointment.

But no codeine or opioid painkillers - in fact I took no painkillers in favour of the Valium.

And - they work very well - you will really feel a difference I promise you that!

Hi John,

I have sent you a mail already with a link as I saw your other post.

Make sure you have lots of pillows - point of surgery higher than heart.
Ice packs to rotate.
Soft foods in - soups, ice cream.

I sent you a link to a lady of 26 who had the same as you are having.
Take a look at her videos. She is a very smart young lady and has been through it all.

If at all possible I would strongly advise you take a week off at least or at least pre-warn work that you may not be recovered. Somethings in life take a little bit of time and I think what you are going through will be one of those times.
The positive - you will feel one whole lot better, happier I think once you are recovering.

Do you have anyone who can help you out initially? Simple things like making sure you have food and regular ice packs?
Hi Suzanne, could you please send me the link too? I will start the same journey. Thanks.

Back