• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

FULL TOP IMMEDIATE LOAD IMPLANTS ON MONDAY- so scared, have some questions

I

implants14273

Hi all!

On Sunday, I'm flying up to Buffalo from NYC to have a full top immediate load implant procedure done with 4/5 top extractions as well. The closer the date gets, the more nervous I've become. I don't like the idea of being so far from home and this is all very foreign to me.

My questions:

1. I have a very sensitive gag reflex- will I gag on the new implant bridge since it's a full one like I would with an impression tray or mouth guard? I have a fear of gagging/vomiting so I'm afraid this may happen after the surgery since I won't be used to it.

2. What's the recovery like? I've had 6 top extractions done at one time as well as 4 another time so I know what it's like to recover from extractions, but implants? What's the bleeding like? I've been lucky to never experience any post-extraction pain, only moderate swelling. I fly home a day after the surgery- will I be alright by then?

3. I'm getting IV sedation- I've had this twice before with no bad after effects, but for whatever reason I'm scared that this time it'll make me nauseous/vomit afterward even though I've never experienced that, only slight fatigue/disorientation a little while afterward.

4. My surgery is at 3 in the afternoon and I'm not supposed to eat/drink.. can I drink very small amounts of water or suck on hard candy? It helps with my nerves/anxiety nausea.

Those are really my main concerns so if anyone could answer them for me that would be wonderful! I haven't had much luck finding any information about recovery for full top immediate load mini implants online, probably because it's so specific. Anything to allay my fears will help! Thanks :)

Re: FULL TOP IMMEDIATE LOAD IMPLANTS ON MONDAY- so scared, have some questions

Hi there. I can only answer your question about recovery from implant surgery. A few months back, I had a retained lower baby tooth extracted and a single implant placed immediately after (I had it done with local anesthetic only, so don't know anything about IV sedation). The recovery was easy, almost surprisingly so (though I'm not sure if getting multiple implants at one time might effect this). I didn't have any pain (though I took 600mg ibuprofen before the numbing wore off, just in case) and I didn't swell. The bleeding wasn't bad at all, just some slight oozing for about an hour or so. There was no bleeding at all after that, and then the stitches fell out on their own after about a week. Honestly, the hardest part of the whole process was avoiding chewing on it for 3 months. Good luck with your procedure!

I just had it done last friday april 28 I was a bag of nerves for NOTHING. lol I had mild swelling and discomfort not bad at all the immediate denture they put in hurt due to them needing to adjust it hd that done today I feel great and you will too. I had all wppers pulled implants and bone graph with immediate denture. I did iv sedation too. You got this good luck

Hi all!

On Sunday, I'm flying up to Buffalo from NYC to have a full top immediate load implant procedure done with 4/5 top extractions as well. The closer the date gets, the more nervous I've become. I don't like the idea of being so far from home and this is all very foreign to me.

My questions:

1. I have a very sensitive gag reflex- will I gag on the new implant bridge since it's a full one like I would with an impression tray or mouth guard? I have a fear of gagging/vomiting so I'm afraid this may happen after the surgery since I won't be used to it.

2. What's the recovery like? I've had 6 top extractions done at one time as well as 4 another time so I know what it's like to recover from extractions, but implants? What's the bleeding like? I've been lucky to never experience any post-extraction pain, only moderate swelling. I fly home a day after the surgery- will I be alright by then?

3. I'm getting IV sedation- I've had this twice before with no bad after effects, but for whatever reason I'm scared that this time it'll make me nauseous/vomit afterward even though I've never experienced that, only slight fatigue/disorientation a little while afterward.

4. My surgery is at 3 in the afternoon and I'm not supposed to eat/drink.. can I drink very small amounts of water or suck on hard candy? It helps with my nerves/anxiety nausea.

Those are really my main concerns so if anyone could answer them for me that would be wonderful! I haven't had much luck finding any information about recovery for full top immediate load mini implants online, probably because it's so specific. Anything to allay my fears will help! Thanks :)

I just had it done last friday april 28 I was a bag of nerves for NOTHING. lol I had mild swelling and discomfort not bad at all the immediate denture they put in hurt due to them needing to adjust it hd that done today I feel great and you will too. I had all wppers pulled implants and bone graph with immediate denture. I did iv sedation too. You got this good luck

Really?? How did you feel afterward?? Did the implant bridge just feel normal? I swear I could throw up from the nerves :( Bur thank you!! hoping for the best

Back