• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Full upper and lower extractions and dentures

L

Laurentoni

Hi,

Im due to have all my teeth removed in two weeks today.
Being truthful im absolutely dreading it 😫
If i even try to talk about it I cry.
I know the end result of having a set of healthy teeth and being able to smile will be worth it but im scared
I guess the point if this is to ask a few questions..
Ive not been told by the dentist what happens after?
Will i have to wait ages for a denture or will i be able to have one fitted soon after so im not without?
How easy or hard is the healing process? And how long before its fully healed?
What sort of things should i prepare to eat after? Also what is the best adhesive so they dont just fall out?

Thank you for reading 💜

Hey Laurentoni!

I know the feeling of dreading extractions. I haven’t gotten mine done yet (that pesky thing called money is an issue), but I need to have some extractions on my upper teeth (as well as other work done.) Positively nerve wracking!

I’ve done a lot of research into extraction care so lemme see if I can answer some of your questions!

So immediately after, your body will start to form a blood clot to fill the space where your teeth once where. It’s very important to take care of these clots and not dislodge them, and your dentist should outline that for you about aftercare. If not there are plenty of resources, including on here, about taking care of yourself post extraction. Here’s an example:

(Note: this is if you don’t get immediate dentures. Like I say below, the recovery process is different if you get immediates.) You’ll probably be in pain or sore afterwards, and you might have swelling/bleeding and just feel exhausted. But that’s okay! Your body just needs rest and to relax now.

You can get an immediate denture if that’s what you wish. Or you can go without one until your jawbone has shrunk and healed in the recovery process and you get your permanents. Immediate dentures are fitted right after extraction and make the recovery process different than if you go without. You’ll need to get impressions done before you get your extractions. Immediates will tend to feel more bulky and annoying than your permanents though, just a note, and won’t fit as nicely as those perms, but they’re obviously useful for full extractions so you have use of your mouth.

The healing process from what I’ve seen isn’t as bad as your anxiety will tell you it will be. Like I said, I haven’t gone through this myself yet, but from what I’ve seen the worst part is really the first little while after, generally in that period where dry socket is a possibility which is for about 10 days afterwards I think? Though it really depends on the person. But as long as you’re following the proper procedures post extraction, then you’re doing all you can do.

Full healing (as in like clots are good to go, your jaw has shrunk, your bone has been resorbed and all that neat stuff) from what my dentist has told me takes between 3-4 months.

In terms of food, this is a resource that’s helpful: https://mkperio.com/how-long-after-tooth-extraction-can-i-eat/ and there are plenty more on the Internet. Essentially, you’ll be on a liquid diet for a while, and then just purely soft foods for longer after that.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Hey Laurentoni!

I know the feeling of dreading extractions. I haven’t gotten mine done yet (that pesky thing called money is an issue), but I need to have some extractions on my upper teeth (as well as other work done.) Positively nerve wracking!

I’ve done a lot of research into extraction care so lemme see if I can answer some of your questions!

So immediately after, your body will start to form a blood clot to fill the space where your teeth once where. It’s very important to take care of these clots and not dislodge them, and your dentist should outline that for you about aftercare. If not there are plenty of resources, including on here, about taking care of yourself post extraction. Here’s an example of a resource from the web: https://www.saintlukeskc.org/health-library/after-tooth-extraction-caring-your-mouth. (Note: this is if you don’t get immediate dentures. Like I say below, the recovery process is different if you get immediates.) You’ll probably be in pain or sore afterwards, and you might have swelling/bleeding and just feel exhausted. But that’s okay! Your body just needs rest and to relax now.

You can get an immediate denture if that’s what you wish. Or you can go without one until your jawbone has shrunk and healed in the recovery process and you get your permanents. Immediate dentures are fitted right after extraction and make the recovery process different than if you go without. You’ll need to get impressions done before you get your extractions. Immediates will tend to feel more bulky and annoying than your permanents though, just a note, and won’t fit as nicely as those perms, but they’re obviously useful for full extractions so you have use of your mouth.

The healing process from what I’ve seen isn’t as bad as your anxiety will tell you it will be. Like I said, I haven’t gone through this myself yet, but from what I’ve seen the worst part is really the first little while after, generally in that period where dry socket is a possibility which is for about 10 days afterwards I think? Though it really depends on the person. But as long as you’re following the proper procedures post extraction, then you’re doing all you can do.

Full healing (as in like clots are good to go, your jaw has shrunk, your bone has been resorbed and all that neat stuff) from what my dentist has told me takes between 3-4 months.

In terms of food, this is a resource that’s helpful: https://mkperio.com/how-long-after-tooth-extraction-can-i-eat/ and there are plenty more on the Internet. Essentially, you’ll be on a liquid diet for a while, and then just purely soft foods for longer after that.

@Laurentoni, this is a great reply you've received. The only thing to add is healing and resporption and remodelling/shrinking of bone is different for everyone. Although it is mostly settled after 3 months it can go on significantly for 6 so I wouldn't do final dentures until then.
If you're having a full clearance then immediate dentures will work well but will loosen significantly whilst you're healing. I usually recommend fixodent or poligrip for my patients (I'm in the UK) but check with your dentist and they may have samples for you to try as everyone will have their own preference. Avoid using for a couple of days at least and ideally about a week or two so initial healing covers the sockets and the fixitive doesn't get into the sockets and cause infection.

Hope all goes well.

Take care

Jodie

Hi,

Im due to have all my teeth removed in two weeks today.
Being truthful im absolutely dreading it 😫
If i even try to talk about it I cry.
I know the end result of having a set of healthy teeth and being able to smile will be worth it but im scared
I guess the point if this is to ask a few questions..
Ive not been told by the dentist what happens after?
Will i have to wait ages for a denture or will i be able to have one fitted soon after so im not without?
How easy or hard is the healing process? And how long before its fully healed?
What sort of things should i prepare to eat after? Also what is the best adhesive so they dont just fall out?

Thank you for reading 💜
I've just read your post and i have nothing but sympathy for you........i honestly think the psychological effect of losing all my teeth would be so traumatic for me. However, you are doing the right thing to share your emotions with those who have been through a similar experience and i'm a firm believer in a problem shared is a problem halved, so good luck.

Very best wishes for your extractions.

Is tomorrow your procedure? I had this done in September and please believe me the waiting and anticipation was 100 times worse that the procedure and healing. Are you being put to sleep? I had only Valium and local and it was over before I knew what they were doing. Please let me know how it goes and if you have any questions just ask. Good luck!

Yes its tomorrow 😬 im going in for general as im definitely not brave enough to be awake lol
Its the 6 weeks without teeth that im dreading but just hope the end result will be worth it.
Did you have dentures put it after?
Is tomorrow your procedure? I had this done in September and please believe me the waiting and anticipation was 100 times worse that the procedure and healing. Are you being put to sleep? I had only Valium and local and it was over before I knew what they were doing. Please let me know how it goes and if you have any questions just ask. Good luck!

Hey Laurentoni!

So immediately after, your body will start to form a blood clot to fill the space where your teeth once where. It’s very important to take care of these clots and not dislodge them, and your dentist should outline that for you about aftercare. If not there are plenty of resources, including on here, about taking care of yourself post extraction. Here’s an example of a resource from the web: https://www.saintlukeskc.org/health-library/after-tooth-extraction-caring-your-mouth. (Note: this is if you don’t get immediate dentures. Like I say below, the recovery process is different if you get immediates.) You’ll probably be in pain or sore afterwards, and you might have swelling/bleeding and just feel exhausted. But that’s okay! Your body just needs rest and to relax now.

Thank you so much for your reply. It has really eased my anxiety about tomorrow x

@Laurentoni, this is a great reply you've received. The only thing to add is healing and resporption and remodelling/shrinking of bone is different for everyone. Although it is mostly settled after 3 months it can go on significantly for 6 so I wouldn't do final dentures until then.
If you're having a full clearance then immediate dentures will work well but will loosen significantly whilst you're healing. I usually recommend fixodent or poligrip for my patients (I'm in the UK) but check with your dentist and they may have samples for you to try as everyone will have their own preference. Avoid using for a couple of days at least and ideally about a week or two so initial healing covers the sockets and the fixitive doesn't get into the sockets and cause infection.

Hope all goes well.

Take care

Jodie
Thank you so much x

I did get immediate dentures but they did not come close to fitting for a good 8 weeks.

I've just read your post and i have nothing but sympathy for you........i honestly think the psychological effect of losing all my teeth would be so traumatic for me. However, you are doing the right thing to share your emotions with those who have been through a similar experience and i'm a firm believer in a problem shared is a problem halved, so good luck.

Very best wishes for your extractions.
Thank you! 💜

I did get immediate dentures but they did not come close to fitting for a good 8 weeks.
They have asked me to wait for at least 2-3 weeks for impressions so they hopefully fit better before I get permanent at 6 months. How did you find adjusting to eating with them?

@Laurentoni waiting for a few weeks if you can manage it is a great idea. Initial swelling will have gone down and you won't be as tender if at all by then.
Best wishes for everything tomorrow

@Laurentoni waiting for a few weeks if you can manage it is a great idea. Initial swelling will have gone down and you won't be as tender if at all by then.
Best wishes for everything tomorrow
Thank you Jodie 💜

Hey everyone 💜

I thought i would give an update.
So its been 3 weeks and 2 days since i had all my teeth removed and i can honestly say its the best thing i could have done!
Its not been without its challenges, i have had some bone shards come through the gum which hasn't been the nicest of thing but not horrendous and if i have to eat anymore mashed potatoes i might cry haha but all is well.
And im not longwr scared of the dentist, i actually look forward to my weekly appointments!
Im still yet to receive my dentures as i was advised to let it all heal to get a more accurate fit.
Psychologically it has been hard, much harder than the pain itself but im nearly there.
Wednesday i get to try in my new teeth and in 9 days i get to keep them forever and im so excited! To be pain free, no infections, be able to eat whatever i want (when i have adapted) and to be able to smile again 😭😍

I have added some photos of the healing process i am at now.

If anyone has any questions at all about the process please feel free to ask.

Also.. thank you to everyone who helped ease my anxiety xx

@Laurentoni I am so so pleased for you that all is going well and you are feeling so positive now. This is a great outcome and from what I can see from that angle the gums are healing well. Great news.

Keeping fingers crossed you love your smile when you get it back.

Jodie

@Laurentoni So happy to hear it went well for you! Your gums look great! Like they’re healing up nicely :) I’m so glad you’ve got that positive attitude and it’s carrying you over. I’m sure once you get your dentures, your smile is going to be radiant!

Since you said we could ask questions, I may as well pick your brain since I haven’t undergone my treatment yet. How was the extraction and healing process? (I’m really worried about the extraction process myself :( so I’m trying to gather as much information from as many people as I can.) And how has it been to not have any teeth for the last few weeks (I too, will not be getting immediates when I have my extractions done, although I’m not getting all my teeth removed, just a few on my uppers, but still, it helps to know!)

All the best! :grouphug:

@Laurentoni

Well done for sharing cant wait to see the new teeth . You have been incredibly brave

@Laurentoni So happy to hear it went well for you! Your gums look great! Like they’re healing up nicely :) I’m so glad you’ve got that positive attitude and it’s carrying you over. I’m sure once you get your dentures, your smile is going to be radiant!

Since you said we could ask questions, I may as well pick your brain since I haven’t undergone my treatment yet. How was the extraction and healing process? (I’m really worried about the extraction process myself :( so I’m trying to gather as much information from as many people as I can.) And how has it been to not have any teeth for the last few weeks (I too, will not be getting immediates when I have my extractions done, although I’m not getting all my teeth removed, just a few on my uppers, but still, it helps to know!)

All the best! :grouphug:
Im not going lie it was tough at first but in a few days i could laugh somewhat about it as i kept forgetting and trying to bite my nails lol
The hardest part for me has been psychologically but i took pictures before and kept reminding myself of the end goal.
The eating took some time to crack but it really is so much easier than you tell yourself its going to be.
Allow yourself time to cry but don't stay in that place too long and remind yourself there is a end result that will make you so much happier.
I was put to sleep as they needed to dig them out and my anxiety was through the roof but now i realise alot of it was because i was ashamed of what they looked like and now i look forward to my appointments. I got to try them in today and will post a pic of before and after.
I hope this helps xx

Back