• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Furcation - class 1

G

gumbee

I'm 49 years old. I've had a furcation on a bottom molar for about 2 years. There is some bone loss but I've been keeping it clean under the gum line with a special pointed toothbrush often a few times a day. My dentist hasn't said much about it other than to just keep it as clean as possible, which I do.

My question is, if I keep up with this hygiene as I do, how long can I reasonably expect to keep the tooth?

Hey
In principal you can keep the tooth for your hall life. The prime reason for loosing the teeth is bacteria, that's why the mechanical removal (hence brushing) is so needed. The problem is that it is almost impossible to clean perfectly, that is why it is needed to go to the dentist and oral hygienist to check up and if needed, to clean a bit further.:)

I'm 49 years old. I've had a furcation on a bottom molar for about 2 years. There is some bone loss but I've been keeping it clean under the gum line with a special pointed toothbrush often a few times a day. My dentist hasn't said much about it other than to just keep it as clean as possible, which I do.

My question is, if I keep up with this hygiene as I do, how long can I reasonably expect to keep the tooth?

Hi gumbee, I have been told that i have a class 1 furcation also of a bottom back molar but have also been told that there is no bone loss between the roots of that tooth and that this is good. There is gum recession either side of the tooth and pocketing but I been told that the best thing is to keep the cleaning up. Root planing has been mentioned also as one pocket depth is 3mm. I'm not convienced about such a procedure as it sounds very invasive. so i'll just keep up with my cleaning.

I have not been told how long I can expect to keep my tooth, but as long as it doesnt hurt that must be a good thing.

I have not been told how long I can expect to keep my tooth, but as long as it doesnt hurt that must be a good thing.

Pain is mostly not a good indication for gum problems.
I know it may sound like a dental mambo-jambo but that is the truth.
The most important thing is to clean daily the gums, that's true, but also letting a professional check on the tooth is important.

Pain is mostly not a good indication for gum problems.
I know it may sound like a dental mambo-jambo but that is the truth.
The most important thing is to clean daily the gums, that's true, but also letting a professional check on the tooth is important.

Hello Dr Daniel,

Can you advise on any cleaning device that i can use to get in to the pockets around my back lower tooth as an alternative to the dentist cleaning. I presently use tepee interdental brushes and an interspace brush to clean around a wisdom tooth which i cant get to with a normal tooth brush.

It is difficult to understand how something that is causing the distruction of the bone and gums is painless. I dont seem to get infections or abscesses so I'm optimistic i'm doing a good job.

Thank you :)

A rubber tip on a water pik is a really good cleaning device for furcations. Just be careful, I'm not sure how you have a furcatiuon and no bone loss? There is some reason the roots are exposed and not buried in the jaw bone. I just had mine extracted (one upper and one lower) and both required bone grafts/sinus lift so implants can be done. Sometimes waiting comes with a price.

Before extraction the lower furcation had daily pain that was only relieved for a short while after a cleaning. The upper was painless but deemed "periodontally failing". Both had pockets of 5 mm.

rp

It is difficult to understand how something that is causing the distruction of the bone and gums is painless. I dont seem to get infections or abscesses so I'm optimistic i'm doing a good job.

It is always said that advanced periodontal disease often becomes so advanced without the patient realising they have a severe problem, primarily because it can be for the most part painless.
I have some recession on some of my teeth and it just painlessly appeared one day from my perspective.

Assuming you get regular care, I don't really see why you would be so resistant to a dentist cleaning it for you - you can opt to be numbed up if you are concerned it will be unpleasant. Personally I'd be worried about doing more damage myself if I were the one looking after it.

Thank you :)

It is a good question, because one of the signs of inflammation is pain, right? Well, When it comes to the gums it is differnet because of two reasons:
1) The inflammation is chronic and low level. There are no acute signs of pain.
2) The inflammation leaves the pocket to monstly toward the mouth. It is different though with deep pockets, than the inflammation finds it difficult to get out and the pressure created in the pocket causes pain.

Assuming you get regular care, I don't really see why you would be so resistant to a dentist cleaning it for you - you can opt to be numbed up if you are concerned it will be unpleasant. Personally I'd be worried about doing more damage myself if I were the one looking after it.

I have not yet found a dentist that I feel comfortable visiting. I get really tense when I have cleanings and have to have fillings and the local aneasthetic doesnt work well with me. My last dentist seemed fed up with me because I would fidget too much, so I just stay away. I have decided to look for another dentist but havn't been as lucky as some on here. I am trying but it feels much better if I talk about going rather than make the appointment. Chatting on this forum is much better than having to visit a dentist, especially when you get to ask questions to real dentists.

I have not yet found a dentist that I feel comfortable visiting. I get really tense when I have cleanings and have to have fillings and the local aneasthetic doesnt work well with me. My last dentist seemed fed up with me because I would fidget too much, so I just stay away. I have decided to look for another dentist but havn't been as lucky as some on here. I am trying but it feels much better if I talk about going rather than make the appointment. Chatting on this forum is much better than having to visit a dentist, especially when you get to ask questions to real dentists.

surely you agree that an online advise is very limited, can be even misleading because every person and every dental situation is different.
I do not think that you need to make an appointment as soon as possible. I mean, make it when you feel up to it, when you choose to do it. :) I do hope you will make an appointment eventually. I think that this website is great in helping people coping with their dental fear by showing support, giving advise, offering practical solutions, recommending dentists.... You can use all these wonderful things not as a way of avoiding the dentist but as a mean of building a coping ability, and eventually coping with the dental fear. :)

Last edited:
When you are ready, Dr. Daniel is right, see/find a dentist that you feel can and is willing to answer your questions and you can build a relationship with, but from https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/forum/threads/forum-rules-and-guidelines.25844/ .............

IMPORTANT: Any advice posted here is for entertainment or/and educational purposes only. It is NOT intended as a substitute for advice by a qualified health professional in person! No warranty of any kind is made with respect to general advice and/or answers given as a response to a question. Only you, your dentist and other health care providers can make an appropriate diagnosis and/or treatment decision.

rp

Last edited:
Hi gumbee, I have been told that i have a class 1 furcation also of a bottom back molar but have also been told that there is no bone loss between the roots of that tooth and that this is good. There is gum recession either side of the tooth and pocketing but I been told that the best thing is to keep the cleaning up. Root planing has been mentioned also as one pocket depth is 3mm. I'm not convienced about such a procedure as it sounds very invasive. so i'll just keep up with my cleaning.

First step is root planing then as a minimum have your teeth cleaned every 3 months and make sure the hygienist cleans under the gums well. Unless your bone loss is much worse, pocketing over 5mm, or you smoke you should be able to hold your teeth a very long time.

Back