• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

General anesthesia during menstruation

G

Former Member
Quick question for my fellow phobics: Can you go under general anesthesia if you are menstruating? I am scheduled to have 10 teeth pulled on Monday using general anesthesia and I DON'T want to have to reschedule due to the menstuation. (if I do this, I don't think I will find the courage to make another appointment.) Has this happened to anyone?

Hey Gordon,
Talk about posting such an embarrassing question, ha?! Really though, I was just concerned that the oral surgeon would tell me he couldn't put me under general anethesia with this "problem." Like I said earlier, if this is the case, the chances of me rescheduling would be slim to none as I have just spent 2 weeks in a SEVERE state of anxiety waiting for this surgery. Is it normal to wait so long for oral surgery? I was told that waiting this long, as dental phobic as I am, is ludicrous!!!!!!!

It's not an embarassing question, it was worrying you and you were correct to ask it. You need to believe me, in this profession I've seen it all at least once

Anyway, on the waiting issue. I think 2 weeks is pretty good. Waiting times here in the wonderful NHS are nearly 9 months for my clinics.

I have read that women should schedule oral surgical procedures during days 22-28 of their cycles, as that is when the blood is most likely to clot best. I know that with wisdom teeth removal, dry socket is least likely to occur during this time. I am a nurse, and would see no physiological reason why you could not have general anesthesia during that time. So, keep your appointment, just wear good protection!

Back