• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

General Anesthesia using Propofol - terrified!!

S

savgirl78

Hello all I am new here! I am scheduled to have 3 wisdom teeth removed next week under general anesthesia using Propofol. I have read horror stories on here about this drug and need some advice! I have never been put under in my life , I am 38 years old. I am scared I won't come out of the anesthesia or I will stop breathing...I have read Propofol suppresses breathing. I had my consult..the surgeon used to be a practicing anesthesiologist and says he has done thousands of these extractions this way and I will be just fine. He says I need to be in a deep sleep because of the impacted tooth. My regular dentist made it sound like I would have a semi conscious sedation but that is not the case. I am so scared any experiences with this or advice would be much appreciated! thanks in advance!

Well horror stories exist for just about anything, but that doesn't mean you should take them to heart! The chances of something going wrong when you go under GA are teeny tiny. Driving a car is far less safe! Not to mention, even if something did go wrong (super unlikely to begin with), you'd be surrounded by professionals who have been doing the job for years and would know exactly what to do to sort it out.

Going under GA for the first time is really scary. I was scared too. Like, there was crying involved, and the anesthesiologist had to pat my hand and promise me I'd be fine :giggle: and he was right! I was fine. It felt like falling asleep only more rapid, and then when I woke up, it felt like waking up from a deep sleep. I was even dreaming a little bit right before I woke up. :p

I *promise* you will be fine too. And you'll also be super relieved afterwards. :hug4:

Back