• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting Better!

A

AndiGirl

I'll try to make a long story short. I feel it is necessary to describe my parents and their dental experiences to describe my predicament. My parents were both born in raised in Alaska. They both have naturally straight, beautifully shaped teeth; however, because they grew up poor, and in an era without fluoride, their teeth had extensive decay and required extensive and expensive work, and they did lose some of their teeth. My mom had some dental work as a child, and my father didn't see a dentist until he was around 13 years-old. I am surprised that they both have the majority of their natural teeth, though they have a lot of porcelain, gold, silver, and other artificial materials on their teeth. When I was growing up, both of my parents used scare tactics to get my siblings and I to take care of our teeth. I think my mother was worse about this than my father. I do find it ironic that neither of my parents restricted or prohibited us (their children) from eating candy, and would preach and remind us to brush our teeth. When we were young, they weren't very good about watching or helping us with our tooth brushing though.

When I was six years, I had my first real experience with dentists. It was in the 1970s, I was raised in a middle class, two parent home. I'm ashamed to say that in spite of all that, I had a mouth full of cavities during my first official dental visit at age 6. My mother did little to prepare me for the visit. The dentist and his assistants were probably pleasant enough. They weren't mean to me. However, the dentist didn't feel it was necessary to explain things to me, or even to talk to me in a friendly calming manner. I remember being afraid and not knowing how to respond. I discovered that when you're in a chair with your head down, and your mouth open, there isn't a lot to do, except hope for the best. I didn't feel like crying, but I was scared and disoriented. I felt a little pain when they were numbing me, but it wasn't too bad. The actual procedure didn't seem too bad. I had to return to the dentist a few days later, to get more fillings. While I was waiting the second time, I remember hearing screaming coming from one of the young patients. It was horrible sounding and instantly struck fear in me. When it was my turn to go back into a chair, I was seated in the stall next to the screaming girl. I started to panic and wanted out of the chair. My mother told me not to fuss and left me. I held onto the chairs arms and sucked up the fear. That visit seemed to hurt more than the other one. I had to go back to the dentist a couple more times after that, when I was 6 and 7. I was never comfortable receiving dental treatment.

To make matters worse, my parents laid on the fear tactics even more. I remember my mom talking about the long needles that they used. She told me about some of the injections that felt like they were sticking the needle up her nose. My father didn't scare me with stories, though it was sometimes scary seeing him after his appointments. After root canals, he'd be in pain, and would lie around the house very listless. After an abstraction, I asked to see his tooth; big mistake on my part. The tooth was very rotten, and had some of the gum tissue still attached to it. Oh gross! I decided around age 8, that I was going to take good care of my teeth. When my baby teeth fell out, I lost all but one filling. I was so happy! I treasured my new teeth and was obsessive about taking care of my teeth. The prospect of going to the dentist became more terrifying than ever for me. I didn't want my mom to suggest another visit, so I took matters into my own hands and took care of my teeth. To this day, I am surprised that my mother didn't make me see the dentist until I was 16 years-old. I had eight years to cultivate the fear.

When I was 17 years-old, and just out of high school, I felt mature enough to try to shed my dental phobia. I made a dental appointment for myself and was told that I had perfect teeth; however, I should think about having my wisdom teeth out. Many of my friends were having theirs out, and my parents strongly urged me to do that before starting college to avoid unnecessary pain and problems. I agreed to go with a dental surgeon who used nitrous. I was told that nitrous was the way to go, and I wouldn't remember anything. I qualified for VA dental care, so I booked an appointment with Dr. Draggart. Big mistake! He was a very unpleasant old koot, who wasn't even friendly. His assistant was cranky and here's where the terror begins. When his assistant started the nitrous, Dr. Draggart came in and shot my mouth up. OUCH!!! He didn't numb my gums and he injected the lidocain quickly. The injections hurt so bad. The one he gave me on the roof of my mouth brought me to tears. I left the visit/procedure scared even worse. The pain from the extractions was bad (though I did have painkillers), but the pain from the injections would haunt me for years to come. I would even wake up from dreams shaken and trembling.

In my 20s, I developed Crohn's Disease and probably didn't take as good of care of my teeth as I should have. I made regular dental appointments, and when they found small cavities, I had my teeth fixed immediately, without the lidocain. I refused to be injected. I wanted to prevent big fillings, root canals, or extractions, because the thought of being injected in my mouth terrified me. During every visit, I would shake visibly and clutch the side of the chair. This was common place even during routine exams and cleanings. I would have nightmares about a week before each of my visits. I wanted so badly to overcome my fear. My digestive disorder may have lead to some of my dental deterioration. My teeth were still good, but I did get some new cavities, and needed some fillings replaced. I decided to find a dentist that caters to scaredy cats. I even asked my father, how he handled his fears if any. I felt that because he had so much work, very little could scare him as far as dental work goes. He told me that if I ever had a dental abscess, I would do anything I could to get rid of the pain. He also said, "When I was in college, one of the dentists tried to work on me without anesthetizing me. When I asked if he was going to numb my mouth, he didn't think it was necessary. (The dentist did comply with his wishes.) I didn't want the pain. He could shoot my mouth anywhere, I just didn't want to feel the drill." I was pretty quiet because his story sounded scary to me. He added, "I had to keep reminding myself that millions of people go through dental work every day. The dentist is there to help me and doesn't mean to hurt me. Why are you so afraid? Your teeth are beautiful, you have nothing to be afraid of." His love and reassurance helped me a little.

I found Dr. Joseph Baggette and my experience has changed ever since. He listened to my story and was very understanding. He answered all my questions and didn't belittle me for being so afraid. He told me that for a couple of my fillings, he would need to inject me with the lidocain. Talk about instant fear. He told me that he would numb my mouth with a topical and would go very slow. He was willing to bet that I wouldn't feel a thing. When the day of my procedure arrived, my heart rate was up and I felt light headed, but he assured me that I would be fine. I refused nitrous/gas. Next thing I knew, I had a Q-tip with raspberry flavored, "Hurricain" on it on my gums. Dr. Baggette must have been pretty sneaky because after a few minutes I asked if he was ready to give me the shot. He replied, "I already did." I felt nothing! From then on, I had attended my dental visits with minimal fear. I really love Dr. Baggette and would recommend him to anyone with dental fears/phobias. I can't say that I am 100% cured of my phobia, but he makes my visits tolerable and I have a lot of trust in him. I am 40 years-old and am happy to be conquering this fear/phobia, though I am also ashamed that it has take me so long. Best wishes to you all in your efforts!

So happy for you! Like you, my parents grew up in a time when taking care of your teeth and going to a dentist was not a top priority or affordable. Both of my parents have false teeth. And I remember them telling me the horror stories of the pain and agony they went through. I brushed my teeth and all but what made me so scared of the dentist was an experience I had when I was around 10 or 11, my new dentist scraped my teeth and gums so hard my gums were red and my entire mouth was sore and I was gagging really bad and kept asking her to please stop but she wouldn't. I left the office with an intense fear of dentists. I am just now starting to do something about my fear, I'm gonna go to a new dentist with an open mind.

Back