• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting Braces on Wednesday!

P

Pologirl82

So I got through the extractions ok which to me was what kept me from getting braces 12 years ago. Now I'm about to be a 24 year old with a full set of braces for the next 2 years. I just wondered if any of you other adult brace wearers could give me any support about this experience. I am told that the pain will be minimal and cured with an asprin but I am more concerned about my appearance. I have a good job and am currently working on an advanced degree to really get my career started. I am worried that co-workers will make fun of me and that I will appear childish with all the metal in my mouth. I have worked very hard to get where I am and I would hate to lose respect at this point in the game. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm afraid to open my mouth! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Pologirl :)

Hi Pologirl, I had braces at about 27 /28 more and more adults are having braces / orthodontic treatment nowdays - I'm shure none of your freinds or work collegues will laugh at you. As for having the braces fitted - although it may take some time the treatment is not painful, - no drilling. The dentist / orthodontist frist dries the teeth then applies an etch (mild acid) to the suface of the teeth where the backets are to be 'bonded' to, they then rinse the etch away and dry the teeth. The brackets are then placed on the nessecary teeth with a cement, and a Ultra Violate light is used to set the cement. The wire is then threaded into the brackets and the brackets are cliped shut (may be a little uncomfortable). As a nervous patient I found the treatment to be totally un taumatic and painless. Once my teeth started to move it was perhaps a bit tender to chew on one particular side. The orthodontist should also supply you with 'comfort wax' to apply over the brackets - to prevent them rubbing on your cheeks / tongue and making them sore, make shure you apply this regularly. You will have to attend regularly for the wires to be changed - I had to go every 6 weeks, and each appointment would last about 20 - 30 minutes. Although probaly ony available privately some orthodontist's use white thooth couloured brackets. Hope it all goes well.

Geraint,
Thanks for the support! Also thanks for all the information. I wasn't sure what to expect and I was wondering how they were going to get the wires and brackets to stay on my teeth! Were you still able to eat fairly normal? I'm afraid eating will no longer be an enjoyable experience.

Hi Pologirl, I was able to eat reasonably normaly. Once the teeth started to move they became a bit tender so chewing on one particular side may be uncomfortable. I also had to avoid eating chewy food as this gets stuck to the brace, and try and avoid sugary foods. I had to be very thorough in cleaning my teeth - especialy around the brackets.

Check out the website Archwired. Lots of adults with braces there! (and many teeth photos, so be careful if that's hard for you). Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pologirl,

Im 35 yrs old and I just got my braces off this month! I felt exactly the same as you about being judged and so on. I did have the clear ones put on because I was so afraid of being laughed at but I will tell you I would have rather gone metal as the clear stain "EXTREMELY" easy and end up turning yellow. You will experience some pain after each adjustment but after a while you get used to it. Ask your dentist for the silicone wax it is so much easier and pliable then just the plain wax. I am so grateful that I decided to have my braces put on because the after affects are so rewarding!! I wore mine for 18 months and the time just flew on by! I suggest you buy a water pic to help with cleaning, its a bit messy but it works so much better then a regular toothbrush. Also buy that special floss that you can use and make sure and keep up on your flossing despite how difficult the braces make it and you wont regret it!
And one more important thing, if your co workers make fun of you and disrespect you then I would ask myself what kind of people do I wish to associate with. In other words its not whats in your mouth that deserves respect its the contents of your heart!
I hope all is well as I know by looking at the date of your post you already have them on!

Hope all went well! I need braces as well but I'm not ready for them yet, since my phobia is still too strong. By the time I get insured and get this phobia under control I will be well into my thirties. Since I look very very young for my age, I'm also worried about respect but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, I guess. I need to make a regular appointment and make it there first! Let us know how it went. Don't worry if you hate the look at first. Not only will you get used to them, but they will look better very soon when your teeth start moving. It seems to happen very quickly.

yes i have experianced a similar problem. Having braces at an older age can go smoothly if you make sure that you dont make a fool of yourself as my auntie did. im not too sure whether or not you are married, but when you go on a date with your boyfriend, and you decide to kiss, its not a good idea, as my ex boy dropped me because his bottom lip got cut on my brace, and infact that is the reason why he broke up with me in the first place.
But otherwise, dont be embarrased of your braces - just remember that in the end your teeth will be nice and straight and make SURE you wear your retainer because they  make your teeth stay that way!

I hope I misunderstood that last post and you weren't telling her she shouldn't try kissing anyone. Braces don't affect the ability to kiss well. It just makes it even more creative! If your boyfriend broke up with you because you accidentally cut his lip with your braces then he was a childish pr**k and you are much better off without him! Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Back