• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting Dental Implants....Help!

N

Nicolacullen17

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone here has had dental implants? I'm really, really nervous. I've had a massive fear of the dentist for forever and only in the last 9 months built up the courage to visit the dentist. It started with needing a filling, but then 3 of my other teeth had fractured to the root so I needed them extracting. That took me a few months to get my head around but I had that done last month and that wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be at all!

I've done all of this because I know I need implants if I am going to be 100% happy with my smile. I'm getting married in a few months so that has been the motivation for it. I really want to be happy with my smile for my wedding photos and not covering my face when I'm laughing etc...

I've got the implant surgery booked in for nearly 3 weeks time and the nerves have really started kicking in. Any advice from anyone that's done it that could help? My dentist is super lovely and he's really calming but it doesn't stop me feeling nervous about it. He said he doesn't think I need sedation which made me feel a bit better because he thinks I'm not that nervous? If that makes sense?

I'd be super grateful for any advice especially for the week leading up to it....

Thank you! :)

I'm supposed to be getting some too so can't offer advice but sending a good luck,how many are you getting?

Hi there, great to hear that you've found a super lovely dentist :thumbsup:! It does make all the difference.

I can't help on the personal experience front, but here is a post which describes the implant process:

One of the administrators here (Brit) has also had an implant, and she found the process very straightforward. I suppose each situation is different (some implant placements are more complex and involved than others), and it sounds as if yours is pretty straightforward. If your dentist, who knows you quite well by now, has faith in your ability to do this, then he's most probably right :).

Please keep us updated and let us know how it goes!

I had an implant placed last year. It was WAY easier than the extraction. The healing was also quicker than the extraction. So if you got through your extractions ok, the implant should be a piece of cake! If you have any specific questions, I’m happy to try to answer them.

Hi, I"m so glad you have a great dentist!! and one that is calming! and I so agree with the rest. I've had one implant and the implant placement surgery was easier than extraction, it was very quick.. Close your eyes though, my only advice.. My previous dentist didn't tell me to and I wish I had. I had no sedation and only local anesthetic. The implant placement was not painful a bit.. There was some slight pain managed by minimal pain meds for a day or two after. But I also had another extraction that same day so could have been that. It is quite a process to walk through, and although it was a bit drawn out with several steps and I was nervous along the way too,, even though I did the majority of it with best dentist ever I was still nervous about the actual process and if my body would accept it.. I couldn't be happier I did it ! Its fully worth it and it will be easier than you think and your nerves tell you :)

I'm supposed to be getting some too so can't offer advice but sending a good luck,how many are you getting?

Thank you! I'm getting two on my right side, need another on my left but I'm waiting to do that later. But I'm having a bone graft done on my right and my left side. Eeeeek!

I had an implant placed last year. It was WAY easier than the extraction. The healing was also quicker than the extraction. So if you got through your extractions ok, the implant should be a piece of cake! If you have any specific questions, I’m happy to try to answer them.

Ahhh really? What was the healing process like for the implants in terms of like what it felt like and stuff? I just found the extractions a bit uncomfortable, and the healing I had a bit of swelling so again just felt a bit uncomfortable... Thank you! :)

Hi, I"m so glad you have a great dentist!! and one that is calming! and I so agree with the rest. I've had one implant and the implant placement surgery was easier than extraction, it was very quick.. Close your eyes though, my only advice.. My previous dentist didn't tell me to and I wish I had. I had no sedation and only local anesthetic. The implant placement was not painful a bit.. There was some slight pain managed by minimal pain meds for a day or two after. But I also had another extraction that same day so could have been that. It is quite a process to walk through, and although it was a bit drawn out with several steps and I was nervous along the way too,, even though I did the majority of it with best dentist ever I was still nervous about the actual process and if my body would accept it.. I couldn't be happier I did it ! Its fully worth it and it will be easier than you think and your nerves tell you :)

Aahhh this is amazing! If the implant is easier than the extraction then I've already done the hard bit haha! Okay, I'll keep my eyes closed for sure! Thats good! Could you feel any vibrating or anything with the drill? I'm a bit nervous about that... And did you swell after? Aahh thank you so much this has made me feel better! :)

Hi Nicolacullen,

I felt pressure I remember but it was very quick process, I was very surprised how quick it all went, I don't remember swelling after much.. but possibly a little...It sounds like and the thought is much worse than the actual procedure !

I had a little bit of swelling, but nothing crazy. Much less bleeding than the extraction (I actually don’t remember any). It felt a little weird at first, but I really tried to not let my tongue touch it too much because it’s best to just leave it alone while it heals. Good luck!!

I've had individual lower jaw implants (2) AND a full entire "All on 6" implant for my upper jaw (14 "teeth", in one session). In good news, the individual implants were easy breezy compared to the full jaw. I had sedation for both. As long as you trust your DDS, things will be ok. Keep the faith and good luck.à

Back