• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting dentures at 22

C

Charlotte97

It's been so long since I first posted on this site, I had to create a new account.

I suffer with depression, anxiety and PTSD in day to day life, which has unfortunately led to me severely neglecting my teeth; to the point that I am currently missing 1 and 1/4th of my front top teeth, and all of my teeth are stripping enamel away easier than acetone strips varnish.

Thankfully, I looked into my options before finally building up enough courage to get in the dentists chair, my last checkup having been years before. I'm constantly experiencing some form of pain with my mouth at this point. I've already taken away my worst habit of excessive energy drinks, which has been the main reason my teeth have fallen from perfect to the sorry state they're in.

My dentist took x-rays to confirm his opinion that I would require full dentures, which I had prepared myself for hearing. However, I'm really confused about what to expect, as the only denture wearers I know are grandparents, and had theirs fitted long ago with natural tooth loss.

I was told that, due to multiple extractions and my being a very nervous patient, that I would be referred to hospital and be 'put to sleep'. After talking to my father, who has had several teeth pulled himself (and the same dental phobia ) had been told the same, but found he was referred to a larger dental surgery and given enough anaesthetic that he can't recall a good 7 hours of that day -- but he wasn't asleep, per say. This is making me unbearably anxious, because I know both the dental surgery and the hospital in my town well -- and I recall having issues with that dental center as a child. Could someone please advise; will I actually go to hospital for a full extraction?

My other question is about the dentures themselves. I've already managed to get over the stigma and worry of getting dentures so young, as my late grandfather got his younger than me. My dentist has reassured me I would be given immediate dentures whilst waiting for my pemenant ones, but I know next to nothing about the processes after. And with my brain kicking into overdrive, I'm uncertain what to expect.

I've been told by people that they prefer to leave open sockets to heal naturally, but also that disolvable stitches are sometimes used. I've also been told that I have to be very careful with my tobacco consumption (as a regular/stress smoker), and that I will have to go for a month or more on a very limited diet, mainly the softest of food items like soups and perhaps mash. All of that I understand, but I'd like advice from someone with experience.

After the healing process and my dentures hopefully being a near perfect fit, what can I expect in terms of eating? Are there food items that should be avoided at all cost, like toffees and other sticky foods? Will I be able to eat hard fruits like apples again? Is the adjustment period really as hellish as I've been told?

I'm due to hear back about my referral within the next month, and I'm both excited and terrified about it; though my friend has offered to come along for moral support and to look after me when I'm disorientated from the anaesthetic.

Edit; Just for context, I am currently on welfare, so I am receiving free NHS dental rather than private

Last edited:
Hi! I'm in the US and don't know the answers to any of your questions, but wanted to say welcome and good luck. I'm sure you'll get good advice here.

Hi,

Generally speaking, full denture do not offer good chewing ability compared to other solutions. Their main problem is stability, so chewing hard fibers such in meat and vegetable can take longer. It is also tricky to chew sticky food.
Research shows that patients who had full dentures and then got implants that support full dentures (they still had full removable dentures only that the dentures were more stable since they were gripping on an implant) had a much better chewing ability and more enriched diet.
To summarize: you can chew with full dentures but not everything. If you will be able to add implants later on, that should allow you to eat anything.