• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting dentures

F

fmt1

In 2wks I’m getting 11 teeth pulled and getting my upper dentures put in the same day. The dentist is only going to numb my mouth. I will not be put under or have a gas used. I’m so nervous it’s going to hurt. I’m also scared of getting dentures. Like will it affect how I talk, will they fall out all the time, and how bad my face will sink in once I get them. As of now I don’t smile or take pictures bc I’m so embarrassed of my teeth. I know in the end I will smile again. But I’m so scared my dentures will be awful. Any advice on the pain and after math of how dentures will affect me

Hi fmt1 :welcome:,

your dentist will make sure to numb you up very well before anything will done. If this is bothering you, having a chat with them may be a good idea: they could use a bit of extra anesthetic or check properly whether you’re numb and indeed agree on a stop signal if anything doesn’t feel right. There shouldn’t be any pain. How is your dentist - do you feel like they care?
Getting used to dentures may take a bit of a time. If they do not fit straight away, don’t panic; immediates very often need few adjustments along the way as your gums will be healing, so the most important thing is to be willing to give your dentist a call few times if they don’t feel right. With that being said, many people are wearing dentures and feel happy with it. You will smile again in the end :)
We have a thread about dentures here. It may give you some information and advice about what to expect.

All the best wishes

I keep reading how people speech is bad after they get dentures. Why and what can I do

I keep reading how people speech is bad after they get dentures. Why and what can I do

Our mouths are very sensitive so when something changes we need a bit of a time to get adjusted. The more you talk with the dentures, the quicker your speech gets back to normal.

Thank you. I’m glad to get new teeth so I can smile. But in the back of my mind I am thinking of every thing bad that could happen with dentures. Like I’m making myself think the worse

Yea. They not putting me under. I have to get 10 pulled and so scared it going hurt. I can’t take pain pills bc of my past. So hopefully I can sleep for the two days afterwards