• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting my wisdom teeth pulled in four weeks... a few questions

O

OaklandAsGirl

I stumbled across this forum while frightfully googling IV sedation. Don't worry, I'm not completely terrified of it; I just think I might be a little nervous to be put under. It must be my inherent mistrust of people. Whoever drives me to the appointment... my dad, my boyfriend, whoever... I think I want them in the room while they're being pulled. :p

Anyway, I'm getting all four wisdom teeth pulled in a little over four weeks. I hadn't been to the dentist since high school, and I graduated college three years ago haha. Yes, I know, bad. I fully plan on going more regularly now. It's just when you're a poor college student and then a poor graduate, you tend to avoid it. Anyway, I primarily went because I have a partially impacted tooth on the bottom left that's been "coming in" for ages. As more of the gums subsided, it became obvious that it at least has cavities in it. I went to get that checked and see if any of the rest need to be pulled, and the dentist recommended I pull them all. I had a consult with an oral surgeon on Friday, and I scheduled the extraction with this guy for next month.

Unforunately, the guy wasn't the most friendly, so I didn't ask him all of the questions I had. I think he's just one of those people who is sort of curt without meaning to be rude. The dentist I went to said he's a good oral surgeon, and my dentist is a good guy, so I'm sure he's right. But anyway, I was left with a few questions I want answered.

My wisdom teeth are as follows: One fully erupted one on the top right that just sticks out toward my cheek a bit, one that's just under the gum on the top left in the same position as the other, the partially impacted one on the bottom left, and one that's never come in on the bottom right. They're all pretty well-aligned, and the oral surgeon told me that neither bottom tooth is touching the nerve line or even close enough to cause problems.

So I guess here are a few questions:

The bottom right tooth that hasn't come in doesn't have roots as long as the other bottom one, and the roots are cone-shaped. That means it should be much easier to pull, right?

If they're aligned, just under the gums, do they just open up the gums, loosen the teeth, and then pull them? Do they usually just break them if they're sideways or growing into roots or nerves?

I have no idea of the anatomy of a jaw, but if the roots don't reach the nerve line, does that mean they don't reach the jaw bone, either? Or is the jaw bone above the nerve line?

I'm 25. Does that still make me young enough that it won't be that big of a deal? I know my baby teeth came in far later than my brothers' and sister's did, I didn't even lose my first baby tooth until I was nearly seven, and the erupted wisdom tooth didn't come in until I was 21. I'm not sure if that means I have a "younger" jaw than my actual age.

Does sleeping with your mouth open or clearing your throat increase the risk of dry socket at all? I can't help sleeping with my mouth open; I just do it. And, pardon the ick factor, but I get phlegmy a lot, so I clear my throat a lot. Sort of grosser still, I don't make that nasty noise most people do when they bring up their phlegm, but I do sometimes and spit it out. I know you can't really spit, but is bringing up the phlegm detrimental, too? I guess there's some amount of sucking involved in it.

I guess I'm getting liquid ibuprofen instead of the pills because I told the oral surgeon that I have trouble swallowing pills. Is it bad to take that on an empty stomach? If so, could taking it with an Ensure be okay?

I'm getting it done on a Monday. My full time job is Sat-Mon, long overnight shifts. I'm getting vacation time for Monday, but I have another job I typically work Wednesday and Thursday. Are most people recovered well enough to go back to work on day three, or would I be better served to ask for Wednesday off and just work Thursday?

Haha sorry for all of the questions. I get off of work at 6AM and am getting the teeth pulled without sleeping first at 9AM. I'm sure I'll be too tired to remember to ask anything when I'm there, other than requesting the liquid ibuprofen. I could make a list, but I'd probably be too busy freaking out about the IV sedation to remember anything. :p

Hi

m while frightfully googling IV sedation. Don't worry, I'm not completely terrified of it; I just think I might be a little nervous to be put under. It must be my inherent mistrust of people. Whoever drives me to the appointment... my dad, my boyfriend, whoever... I think I want them in the room while they're being pulled.

It is natural to want some to be in with you. The problem is people who are not used to seeing extractions often find it very uncomfortable to watch. Would you want to watch a tooth being pulled? So the best compromise is to have them stay while you get the sedation and then when they can see you are calm and totally relaxed to leave the oral surgeon to it.

Anyway, I'm getting all four wisdom teeth pulled in a little over four weeks. I hadn't been to the dentist since high school, and I graduated college three years ago haha. Yes, I know, bad. I fully plan on going more regularly now. It's just when you're a poor college student and then a poor graduate, you tend to avoid it. Anyway, I primarily went because I have a partially impacted tooth on the bottom left that's been "coming in" for ages. As more of the gums subsided, it became obvious that it at least has cavities in it. I went to get that checked and see if any of the rest need to be pulled, and the dentist recommended I pull them all. I had a consult with an oral surgeon on Friday, and I scheduled the extraction with this guy for next month.

Unforunately, the guy wasn't the most friendly, so I didn't ask him all of the questions I had. I think he's just one of those people who is sort of curt without meaning to be rude. The dentist I went to said he's a good oral surgeon, and my dentist is a good guy, so I'm sure he's right. But anyway, I was left with a few questions I want answered.

My wisdom teeth are as follows: One fully erupted one on the top right that just sticks out toward my cheek a bit, one that's just under the gum on the top left in the same position as the other, the partially impacted one on the bottom left, and one that's never come in on the bottom right. They're all pretty well-aligned, and the oral surgeon told me that neither bottom tooth is touching the nerve line or even close enough to cause problems.

So I guess here are a few questions:

The bottom right tooth that hasn't come in doesn't have roots as long as the other bottom one, and the roots are cone-shaped. That means it should be much easier to pull, right?

Yes it does:)

If they're aligned, just under the gums, do they just open up the gums, loosen the teeth, and then pull them? Yes
Do they usually just break them if they're sideways or growing into roots or nerves?
Yes

I have no idea of the anatomy of a jaw, but if the roots don't reach the nerve line, does that mean they don't reach the jaw bone, either? Or is the jaw bone above the nerve line?
They will be in embedded in bone just like all your teeth but as they are away from the nerve it means the risk of nerve damage is removed.;D;D
I'm 25. Does that still make me young enough that it won't be that big of a deal? I know my baby teeth came in far later than my brothers' and sister's did, I didn't even lose my first baby tooth until I was nearly seven, and
the erupted wisdom tooth didn't come in until I was 21. I'm not sure if that means I have a "younger" jaw than my actual age
Twenty five is young as far as these things go. It means that you jaw bone is flexible and will release the teeth more readily and heal more rapidly. ;D;D;D
Does sleeping with your mouth open or clearing your throat increase the risk of dry socket at all? I can't help sleeping with my mouth open; I just do it. And, pardon the ick factor, but I get phlegmy a lot, so I clear my throat a lot. Sort of grosser still, I don't make that nasty noise most people do when they bring up their phlegm, but I do sometimes and spit it out. I know you can't really spit, but is bringing up the phlegm detrimental, too? I guess there's some amount of sucking involved in i
Thank god I eaten my breakfast already;). I don't think it will make any difference ... just follow the post op instructions carefully.

I guess I'm getting liquid ibuprofen instead of the pills because I told the oral surgeon that I have trouble swallowing pills. Is it bad to take that on an empty stomach? If so, could taking it with an Ensure be okay
Best to check the written instructions on the packet

I'm getting it done on a Monday. My full time job is Sat-Mon, long overnight shifts. I'm getting vacation time for Monday, but I have another job I typically work Wednesday and Thursday. Are most people recovered well enough to go back to work on day three, or would I be better served to ask for Wednesday off and just work Thursda
If you don't get a dry socket you should be fine. A dry socket is a painful complication that could make working difficult for a week or so.
Haha sorry for all of the questions. I get off of work at 6AM and am getting the teeth pulled without sleeping first at 9AM. I'm sure I'll be too tired to remember to ask anything when I'm there, other than requesting the liquid ibuprofen. I could make a list, but I'd probably be too busy freaking out about the IV sedation to remember anything. :p

Good luck, it sounds like you are in great hands. Remember once it is done you will have one less thing to worry about as they never grow back LOL.

Hope this helps a little

​Lincoln

Thank you very much! It's nice to have a little bit of fear put away. Do you know if a lot of people are able to just deal with the pain with the prescription ibuprofen and lots of ice? I will take the vicodin they give if I have to, but I know some people were able to forgo it. Most of them did it out of necessity since they couldn't take too much time off from work or had kids to watch, but I just wonder if it's a common enough thing. I've never taken anything more exciting than a low dose aspirin one time in junior high, so the hard stuff worries me a little bit. If you have a less complicated surgery, does that mean you will probably have less post-op pain? The only people I know who were really down for the count had four severely impacted teeth. I don't know if it's merely a coincidence or what.

Haha and sorry if that one question made you want to lose your breakfast. :p

Hi A's girl! :)

I've had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled (two impacted in one session, and then the other two at another time) and I never had to take anything more than over-the-counter pain meds (like aspirin or ibuprofen) for them. In all honesty, I don't remember them really being all that painful. Once the numbness wore off, I think I took some aspirin before bed that night, but was pretty much okay by the next morning. What I do remember more was the swelling. I had "chipmunk cheeks" for a couple of days after.

And one thing that nobody warns you about, and will probably be especially helpful to you since you say you're a mouth breather at night.... Find an old towel and safety pin it to your pillow before you go to bed that night, and perhaps for a couple of nights after.

Even though the actual extraction sites clot closed very shortly, if you drool when you sleep (which you tend to do after having extractions even if you don't normally), you're going to make a HUGE mess all over your pillow. (Saliva mixed with dried blood.)

I know that the idea of having four teeth pulled, some of which haven't even come in yet, is a pretty scary thought. But I have to tell you that a lot of that comes from all of the "horror stories" and cartoons you've seen in the past about having teeth pulled. The reality is a LOT less horrendous than what most of us imagine before having it done.

:XXLhug:

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips! I wouldn't want to ruin my pillow or pillowcase. That would be the icing on the teeth being pulled cake. :p

I really appreciate you sharing your experience, too. It's nice to hear people say it wasn't that bad. It seems like so many people are trying to creep me out. I'm not sure if they're doing it intentionally, but it's working! I think I'll get more anxious the closer it gets. It's still four weeks away now.

Stick around here, we won't creep you out, everyone is different after, I had no blood after, my mouth was a bit stiff but my wisdoms were all impacted and I had other problems that meant I had to have other surgery while they were in there.
The other work was in my mouth but the actual wisdom teeth I was told came out easy, I did have stitches which I couldn't feel and some days after I was back to normal. I had mine out 20 odd years ago and I was fine and I had a small child to look after, we both managed fine so don't worry you will be alright.

You can judge yourself if you need the painkillers, or not, if you have pain take them if you aren't in any or very little don't, you will know yourself, there is no point suffering if you do need any. Sometimes the day of the surgery and maybe the day after is enouth.
There are plenty of dental visits described on here, of people that have had their wisdoms done, so you will see that some people are better than others after, so nobody can say for sure what you will be like.
I do know the dentist and the people assisting him with be as helpful as they can possibly be to make it is as stress free for you as they can.

I wish you well and try not to get too stressed. ;)

Last edited:
You can judge yourself if you need the painkillers, or not, if you have pain take them if you aren't in any or very little don't, you will know yourself, there is no point suffering if you do need any. Sometimes the day of the surgery and maybe the day after is enouth.

Well said, Carole!

For some strange reason, pain seems to affect different people in vastly different ways. I suppose part of it has to do with how firmly your teeth were attached, and part of it may have something to do with people's individual pain threshholds.

Thing is, dentists would not prescribe pain medications if they didn't want you to take them.

For myself, I would definitely be taking something before all of the numbness completely wore off. I've been told repeatedly that pain management meds work best when you take them before you're really hurting. They do a lot better at preventing pain than they do overcoming pain. (Which sort of makes sense if you think about it. :))

Again, no extra points for suffering. If you need them, take them.

If nothing else, your jaw will be pretty stiff after the numbness wears off, and having some pain meds in your system will make it easier for you to move your jaw. Which will make your recovery time a bit less.

Thanks carole and Jaylah! I guess I'm getting a bit more nervous now, so it's good to hear some okay stories. I'm thinking about a whole bunch of other worries at this point, like, "If I swallow too hard, will I get dry socket?!" Sometimes I do swallow really hard. I'm not sure why. I think I remember almost choking on a waffle once when I was little, so I feel compelled to not do that again or something haha. I guess it would only be an issue if you suck your saliva first.

I think the worst part is that I had to schedule it a month in advance. It gives me more time to ruminate on it and be convinced that I'm going to be the worst case that has ever happened. :p

I guess I'm getting a bit more nervous now, so it's good to hear some okay stories.

If you haven't already, have a look in the Success Stories section of the forum: https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/forum/forums/share-your-success-story.22/ ! . There are LOADS of positive stories of people who've had their wisdom teeth out with IV sedation...in fact, it's the most common sotry there! These posters were all anxious beforehand, and all got through it succesfully - and the recurring theme is that the anticipation was awful, and the procedure was a breeze! :) Hopefully you can find some encouragement in reading some of their experiences.

I'm sure I'll be too tired to remember to ask anything when I'm there, other than requesting the liquid ibuprofen. I could make a list, but I'd probably be too busy freaking out about the IV sedation to remember anything. :p
Before my first major treatment appointment last year I'd written down a list of questions - everything I was worried or wanted to know about in terms of what was going to happen before/during/after. When I got in the room, I was in a complete state due to axniety (felt sick, crying, visibly shaking) so I just handed the piece of paper over to my dentist, and she read it and answered every single question. :) I still make a list before appointments now - whilst I've made enough progress to be able to ask the questions myself, I still need the piece of paper to remind me, as everything completley evaporates from my head the second I walk through the door! :rolleyes: So, I think writing a list could be a good plan.

Incidentally, if you're really tired, I think that might actually be a positive thing (N.B. I have no scientific backing for this whatsoever!) - the sedation makes you sleepy, so think of it as you already being part-way there before you start! :) Fwiw, I've had IV sedation a few times - and was TERRIFIED about it before the first time :scared: - and I love it! Once it's taken effect, you won't have a care in the world, and before you know what's happened it will all be over.

I think the worst part is that I had to schedule it a month in advance. It gives me more time to ruminate on it and be convinced that I'm going to be the worst case that has ever happened. :p

Yep! :rolleyes: :p The hardest part really is now - the waiting, anticipation, imagining...! :hidesbehindsofa: I know it's easier said than done, but try not to dwell on it or think up worst case scenarios. (Very glad you found DFC, of couse! :)...but now you have - no more Googling! It really is not an anxious peron's friend! :rolleyes:). Distract yourself whenever possible - be as creative as you like! When you do find yourself thinking about it, instead of worrying, try imagining the appointment going really well, and picturing yourself after it's all done, and how good you'll feel! :jump: And, of course, come on here for as much support as you need! :grouphug:

How long to go now?

^ Thanks for the response. :)

It's in a week now. I'm pretty nervous. I actually thought of a few other questions in the meantime. I know I really won't know much until it's done, but I want to pretend I have some control haha.

How long until IV sedation wears off? First off, the drugged up feeling, and secondly, the wooziness.

Does a dry mouth cause dry socket at all?

How long until the local anesthesia wears off enough that you can comfortably drink water or another liquid? I've absolutely never had anything done. No cavities, niente. I have no idea.

Why exactly can't you have any food or drink after midnight the day of the surgery? What are they afraid of?

How many people, percentage wise, get dry socket because of failure to follow instructions and how many people just get it randomly? If you have an easier surgery, are you less likely to develop it? I realize this is hardly going to be exact, but if you have any insight at all, it would be appreciated.

If you get dry socket, how much of the pain will be masked by taking a bit more than the OTC dosage of ibuprofen? And if you have to wait a bit to see the oral surgeon, can you just use clove oil, or will that cause problems?

If I just take the prescription strength ibuprofen they give with an Ensure or whatever and ice my face, how much of the pain do you think it will cover on day one? Most of the people I know who've had their wisdom teeth pulled ended up throwing up or feeling completely out of it when they took the pain narcotics and told me they wouldn't have minded a bit more pain to avoid throwing up or feeling like Cheech and Chong.

How many people, generally, have a nauseous reaction to IV sedation?

For the dentists/oral surgeons, about what percentage of your wisdom tooth extractions ended up in dry socket? And what were any trends you may have noticed? (like a lot of them were smokers, they had tougher extractions, etc.)

Sorry for the Spanish Inquisition. I'm just nervous and want to calm down to some extent. I'm just imagining that The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is going to happen in my mouth. :p

Hi I will answer your questions as I felt as a layperson,

1. I felt tired for the rest of the day and the night as well, okay tired wise the day after, I might have gone to bed a bit earlier than usual.

2. No I wouldn't think so, a dry socket happens if you lose the clot that forms, hence dry socket, meaning nothing in it empty. In a lot of cases and in mine they put me some stitches in that disolved.

3. The local wears off after between 3 to 5 hours. Different people different doses, this varies.

4. Because they don't want you to be sick while under, which can happen if you have anything on your stomach, and this will cause them problems, as you may choke. They want to do the extraction not treat another problem that could be caused by eating after midnight.

5. Well the dentists on here think that somewhere just under or just over 5% chance of getting dry socket. A harder time in surgery can effect your chance of getting it, but if they put stitches in if they think this might happen it will stop it.

6. People on here have used clove oil, but a dentist will just pack it and may give you antibiotics if an infection has set in. I not heard of many people getting it with wisdom tooth removal, my extraction was considered traumatic by them as I had other complications, and I didn't get it.

7. I suppose ice might help, I don't know about the other stuff you mentioned.

8. I don't know the % of people that are sick after.

9. I can't answer this one not a dentist/oral surgeon.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is not going to happen in your mouth.

I hope this helps from the point of view of someone that had it with GA over 20 years ago, and I survived it, you will too. Things are much better these days as well.

GOOD LUCK :grouphug:

^ Thanks for the response. :)
You're welcome! :)

It's in a week now. I'm pretty nervous. I actually thought of a few other questions in the meantime. I know I really won't know much until it's done, but I want to pretend I have some control haha.
A few?! :p Just kidding - I understand trying to gain some certainty and control ahead of time...unfortunately, as you've said, it's not really possible! :rolleyes: But I'll have a go at answering as many of your questions as I can (to add to Carole's answers).

How long until IV sedation wears off? First off, the drugged up feeling, and secondly, the wooziness.
I'm going solely on personal experience here: I started to 'came round' (of course, I wasn't really asleep, but that's how it felt) as they stopped giving me the sedation. The most recent couple of times I took maybe 30 mintues to an hour in the recovery room (according to my escort - it seemed much shorter to me!) before I could walk unaided, but other people were in and out of there quicker, so it's probably something that varies from person to person (and possibly also how much sedation you have/for how long??) . After I left I no longer felt 'woozy' or dizzy etc, just felt really sleepy and worn out, and basically needed to sleep and/or rest the rest of the day. The next day I felt normal again. The main thing that can last longer is the amnesia effect - up to 24 hours - which is why they say your escort needs to stay with you, in case you (for example) turn the oven on and forget it about.

Does a dry mouth cause dry socket at all?
I don't know.

How long until the local anesthesia wears off enough that you can comfortably drink water or another liquid? I've absolutely never had anything done. No cavities, niente. I have no idea.
Again, it varies from person to person, but basically a few hours. There are ways round being able to drink anyway, even straight away, you just might make a little mess! I find it easiest to use a bottle with a sports top and kind of pour it into my mouth.

Why exactly can't you have any food or drink after midnight the day of the surgery? What are they afraid of?
I don't fully know the answer to this, since there seems to be a major UK/US divide here. In the UK the instruction tends to be to eat a light meal around 2-4 hours before your appointment, and then nothing. I was told this was purely in order for the drug to work most effectively. Some dentists don't even require a fast at all. In the US it seems more common to say no food or drink for 8 hours. There's been various speculation on DFC as to why, but no definitive answer (that I've seen, anyway). The safety issues Carole mentions are more applicable to GA, since IV sedation shouldn't actually put you to sleep. But as a deeper sedation is sometimes used in the US, perhaps it is done as a precaution?

How many people, percentage wise, get dry socket because of failure to follow instructions and how many people just get it randomly? If you have an easier surgery, are you less likely to develop it? I realize this is hardly going to be exact, but if you have any insight at all, it would be appreciated.
There's just been a discussion about the likelhood of developing dry socket in the Frequently Asked Questions (in the Ask a Dentist section). Whilst it's possible people may have done studies which make comparisons like the ones you mention, I think you know really that you're asking the unanswerable! :rolleyes: No matter what statistics people offer, there's still no way of prediciting exactly what will happen to you. The important thing is to follow the after-care instructions you'll be given, and so give yourself the best chance of avoiding it. (More info here: Healing after tooth extraction .)

If you get dry socket, how much of the pain will be masked by taking a bit more than the OTC dosage of ibuprofen?
See the link above. If you did get dry socket, you'd definitely need to see a dentist to get the tooth dressed (to relieve the pain).

And if you have to wait a bit to see the oral surgeon, can you just use clove oil, or will that cause problems?
No, don't use clove oil! According to Gordon (one of our trusty DFC dentists), it's a really bad idea. One thought, I could be wrong, but I can't see why your own dentist can't dress the socket - you shouldn't need to return to the oral surgeon just for that.

If I just take the prescription strength ibuprofen they give with an Ensure or whatever and ice my face, how much of the pain do you think it will cover on day one? Most of the people I know who've had their wisdom teeth pulled ended up throwing up or feeling completely out of it when they took the pain narcotics and told me they wouldn't have minded a bit more pain to avoid throwing up or feeling like Cheech and Chong.

Again, see the link about healing. Pain varies from person to person, as does how easily people cope with pain, so there's no way to say exactly how you'll feel. But the most important thing is to take your first dose of painkillers BEFORE the anaesthetic wears off - you can prevent pain much more easily than stop/relieve it.

How many people, generally, have a nauseous reaction to IV sedation?
None, that I know of. It's a common side-effect of GA, but not IV sedation. I've never experienced it at all.

For the dentists/oral surgeons, about what percentage of your wisdom tooth extractions ended up in dry socket? And what were any trends you may have noticed? (like a lot of them were smokers, they had tougher extractions, etc.)
Again, see the thread where Jaylah asked almost exactly the same question.

Sorry for the Spanish Inquisition. I'm just nervous and want to calm down to some extent. I'm just imagining that The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is going to happen in my mouth. :p
No worries, I understand the feeling! Hope this helps calm your nerves a little bit. Honestly, this is the worst part - the waiting, fretting, imagining...what's going through your head now is almost certainly far worse than what's actually going to happen!

One piece of advice: if you find you still have lots of worries/questions/concerns about the appointment and the recovery afterwards, write them down, and then take the list with you and ask your surgeon when you see him. It's his job to make sure you understand everything you need to know, and he's the best person to help you as he knows exactly what he expects to happen etc. And knowing you're going to have your questions answered might help you worry that teensy bit less now. :hug2:

Last edited:
OaklandAsGirl when you have had your procedure, when you feel up to it, would you come back on here and answer your own questions. That might help somebody else. I would be very interested to hear how you go on.

I did have GA and it was over 20 years ago. As Pianimo says it is a bit different to sedation.

You will be okay and do as Pianimo suggested, write down your concerns and ask your surgeon, they do their best to make everything as easy and comfortable for you as is possible.

All the best. :grouphug:

Thank you very much for all of the links and answers! You guys are really great. I appreciate your easing my immense lack of bravery. :p And thanks for all of the time you guys took to look at each individual question. I will be absolutely sure to post a few days after my surgery. It's six days away now. I'll probably post right before I go in, too, just to get the nerves off my chest. I want to be able to post my story in the success section. Let's hope that's possible, and I'm not the one in millions who dies on the wisdom tooth operating table. ;)

You will be a success story, and everything will be fine. :)

Well, it's tomorrow now! Kind of nervous. Also, I've had this off and on sore throat that's basically been laughing at me: "Are you going to get a cold or aren't you?! Mwahaha." Evil throat. I don't think it's going to turn into anything since it's been exactly the same for four days. I have this happen sometimes. At least there's no congestion!

Anyway, haha my dad was calling me a weenie earlier. First he told me that instead of getting a pill crusher for the ibuprofen pills they're going to give me, I should put the pill in the middle of a napkin and go to town on it with some metal object. (I guess I can ask my boyfriend to do that. :p) Then he told me to stop being a wuss. I probably wouldn't even need the pain pills; it's just like a bad headache in your mouth, and I should be able to deal with that unless I'm a weakling. Aw, my dad. ;)

I know he was just trying to get me to stop worrying, but I guess he didn't take any hardcore pain pills either. His case was terrible, too. He was 21 or 22, all four of his teeth were severely impacted, and they had him stay overnight in a dental hospital. My mom and he just dealt with their pain, although my mom was better the day after hers and went to a San Francisco Giants double header two days later and ate stadium hot dogs. I think my parents are "real men!" :p

I guess I'm just ready to get it over with. I'm not looking forward to the post op stuff, but everyone pretty much says that ibuprofen and ice will get you through it well enough. I will also be sleeping my tushie off tomorrow. I'm glad I'm getting it done right after getting off of my overnight shift. I will be so sleepy!

To tell the truth, I don't think I was any less anxious for the second two than I was for the first two. Even though I'd been through it once before (and the first two were the impacted ones which are, supposedly, "worse").

I think that's probably just considered "normal" for dental phobes. Does it help to know that you're normal? :)

By this time tomorrow, it will all be behind you. When you're ready, please come back and tell us how it went for you.

:XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug:

Good luck for tomorrow.

I don't think you are a wuss, I have a pill cutter and a pill crusher as well, I can not swallow pills, if I ever had to swallow one to save my life, then I've had it. I stand over the sink if I ever try because I can put the pill in my mouth and I can drink a full glass of water and the pill is still there, by this time they taste terrible and I end up gipping, it is not happening, I always ask for a syrup form of medication, they are usually not bad either because they are made for children.

You take and do whatever is needed after your extraction all the best. :grouphug:

This link may help.

I think I'm going to wait to see if I get dry socket before I post a "success story," but I got my teeth out yesterday and it has been a BREEZE! I remember asking the oral surgeon what was in the IV, and that's the last recollection I have before I woke up. I did have some weird LSD trip type thing where I can vaguely remember the nurse and doctor talking above me. The next thing I knew, I heard my boyfriend and the nurse talking by me. My head was SO heavy and opening my eyes made me nauseous, so I just talked with them with my eyes shut for maybe ten minutes. Then they helped me into a wheelchair and took me out to my boyfriend's car. My arms and legs were working just fine, but my head was screwed up. I kept my eyes shut on the way home and I ended up dry heaving when I got home, but as soon as I was more "awake" I was okay. I would say it took about an hour for the wooziness to go away, about an hour for the mouth numbness to subside, and it took about two hours for my lower lip and chin to feel normal again.

My bottom right extraction site started hurting about two hours after the surgery, so I just took half of one of my 800mg ibuprofens crushed up into some applesauce, and I was fine. All I've taken is 400 mg of ibuprofen four times in the past 28 hours or so, and that's all I've needed. Apart from feeling a bit swollen (kind of like there's a rock in between my teeth and my cheek haha), the only pain I've had is in the bottom right extraction site. I can open my mouth just fine, and the icing yesterday means I'm just a tiny bit swollen. It's only remotely noticeable on the left side, though. No bruising yet, no nothing!

So, basically apart from the nausea I had when I first woke up (I'm sure I would have actually thrown up instead of dry heaved if I had any food in my system) and the fact that my left arm was numb all day yesterday from having a blood pressure cuff on it for about an hour, I've felt perfectly fine! It's a shame because the Vicodin cost nearly 60 dollars and I haven't even needed it. The oral rinse I was prescribed and the ibuprofen were only 10 bucks together, and they're all I've used.

Again, I'm going to wait to post my "success story" in case I get dry socket, but hopefully I don't, and then I'll post a more all-encompassing story. Thanks for setting my mind at ease about the surgery!

PS - My boyfriend said when I was first waking up, I said, "It feels like I have rock people in my mouth!" all incredulous like. So I guess I joined the ranks of funny drugged up wisdom tooth people. :p

See? We told you it wasn't going to be as horrific as you were imagining. :) ;)

Good to hear from you, and that you're doing so well. Keep us updated with progress reports. :yay:

Back