• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting one bony impacted wisdom tooth removed and I'm scared

S

sprinkle

Hey Everyone,

I have one lower horizontally impacted wisdom tooth that needs to be extracted by an oral surgeon. Has anyone ever gotten an impacted wisdom tooth removed while awake? (no sedation or gas). I am more scared about the possibility of being unconscious than of the actual removal itself. Is there a significant difference between having one removed as opposed to all 4 while you are awake? I know someone who had 4 impacted ones removed while awake and said it wasn't bad at all. I don't freak out about needles and blood and stuff like that. I also have 3 other wisdom teeth that have all come out of the gum and two of them are being pulled out tomorrow by my dentist (not too scared about that, just a little nervous). I have been through a similar experience when I had to get 4 teeth pulled out before I got my braces on so I kind of know what to expect. BTW, I'm 22 years old, will it be a more complicated procedure because I'm a little older than the average patients who have this procedure?
Thanks!

No worries, I share your fear. I'm also not comfortable with being put under. Heck, I've never had surgery or anything and I'm 20. A few months ago I had one wisdom tooth out because it was growing too far down and it was infecting the gums below it. It was causing me a great deal of pain but I refused to be put under. I had it taken out under local anesthesia and I couldn't feel a thing! I had been freaking out the whole time, but once he got in there and actually started working at it, it was completely fine. This didn't bother me, but the one thing that might turn people off to being awake is the noise. You can literally hear the dentist ripping the tooth's roots out of your gums. You can only feel pressure, no pain, but the sound effects may be enough to have someone want to be put out. For me, needles and sounds are okay, so I definitely would stay awake. I also insisted on having them out one at a time, so that way it is less stressful and a much easier recovery time. So stay awake if you don't feel comfortable; don't worry, they'll take care of you. Good luck!

Back