• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting tooth pulled and am very scared! Help!

P

Patti

Hello, I have to get a back tooth (not a wisdom tooth, a bottom molar in the back) pulled and I am very scared! I'm almost 49 and so far have only had 2 fillings done (which I thought were nothing) but now I need a tooth pulled and my anxiety is RAGING. :o

I believe the fact that it won't hurt, and I'm not afraid of the needles. That doesn't really hurt in my opinion. I'm really not sure what I'm afraid of except for maybe the unknown? People are telling me it's easier and faster than getting a filling. Is that true?

Does anyone know how long it takes to get just one tooth extracted from the time you're numb ? It's not impacted and doesn't hurt now. My dentist told me it would take "like 5 seconds." Is that true? I'm having it done by an oral surgeon because my dentist wants me to have the option of sedation which I don't even think I'll need if the procedure goes that quickly--I think I can handle being scared for 5 seconds or a couple minutes. I didn't get gas when I had fillings.

Any positive feedback would be appreciated and THANK YOU!

Your dentist, I presume, has an xray of the roots of the tooth and knows that it is going to be a simple one to remove. Why it is being removed - why is it not saveable do you know ? Sometimes if teeth are weak from a cavity/cavities then they can break whilst being removed, which makes it slower as then the roots are removed separately. I wonder if your dentist is preparing you for this possibility by bringing in the idea of you possibly wanting sedation? However, as he says ' 5 seconds' then I would presume he doesn't think anything a bit more complicated is likely to happen. It can be astonishingly quick having one tooth removed. My daughter had 4 premolars removed as part of orthodontic work, and the longest time of the appointment was just waiting for the anaesthetic to have fully taken. Then the dentist put something around the tooth and wiggled it in various directions and it popped out in literally less than a minute. I was watching and actually said 'So, is that it ?????' Quicker than a filling - I'll say - no comparison. :) I had a wisdom tooth removed a couple of months ago and I can recall that you can feel a bit of strange pressure just as it comes out and you can hear it being wiggled in the jaw, but both of those lasted seconds.

I had a tooth removed before christmas and it takes longer waiting to get numb than it does to get the tooth out, it is so quick. I imagined my head been shaken and alsorts, but no, my head didn't move and within a minute it was out and mine was broken, so I thought it would be difficult, it was so easy for me. We just lay there and leave the work to them.

You will be fine, you will be back on here, saying you can't believe how easy it was.
Good luck :) Your dentist is right, he won't tell you wrong information, he wants to help you. If he says something and it is wrong it would break the trust.

Yes, my dentist took x-rays. I am having it removed instead of a root canal and crown. The tooth doesn't even look that bad to be honest! I was shocked that I didn't just need a filling. But yes, she said "5 seconds" when I asked her how long it would take. I hope she's right.

Your dentist, I presume, has an xray of the roots of the tooth and knows that it is going to be a simple one to remove. Why it is being removed - why is it not saveable do you know ? Sometimes if teeth are weak from a cavity/cavities then they can break whilst being removed, which makes it slower as then the roots are removed separately. I wonder if your dentist is preparing you for this possibility by bringing in the idea of you possibly wanting sedation? However, as he says ' 5 seconds' then I would presume he doesn't think anything a bit more complicated is likely to happen. It can be astonishingly quick having one tooth removed. My daughter had 4 premolars removed as part of orthodontic work, and the longest time of the appointment was just waiting for the anaesthetic to have fully taken. Then the dentist put something around the tooth and wiggled it in various directions and it popped out in literally less than a minute. I was watching and actually said 'So, is that it ?????' Quicker than a filling - I'll say - no comparison. :) I had a wisdom tooth removed a couple of months ago and I can recall that you can feel a bit of strange pressure just as it comes out and you can hear it being wiggled in the jaw, but both of those lasted seconds.

Why are you not going the root canal and crown route ? What has her assessement been of the problem with the tooth ?

If you could have a root canal treatment why don't you want that instead of it removing, sorry if I am being too nosy. Don't answer if you don't want, but I would think it would be better to keep the tooth.

The money, mostly. Root canal and crown will cost about $2000. It's in the back anyway. Ans, I have more to do ( another crown for sure for 700 ).

If you could have a root canal treatment why don't you want that instead of it removing, sorry if I am being too nosy. Don't answer if you don't want, but I would think it would be better to keep the tooth.

Re: Please help - scared to death!!!

You could also try doing some searches on this site, for people's experiences with molar extraction ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting a tooth may be a smidge painful but not really. I had 4 baby teeth pulled to make room for my adult teeth and I felt some pressure but it's not bad and really really quick. When my dentist said I was done I couldn't believe it. It probably takes more time to get numb then it does to actually get it pulled. I had nitrous and it really helped with the tooth extraxtion. Good Luck!

Do you think I even need the laughing gas for this if I am going to take a Xanax ahead of time? I've got no fear of the shots--just the extraction itself. I've had fillings before and was okay with it.

Well if fillings don't bother you, taking the teeth out wouldn't I don't think. It is over before you know it. I am a baby and I had one out just being numbed, if you make sure you are numb before they start, it's really quick. It takes much longer waiting to get numb.

I wish you well. :)

Thank you for your words of support. I just spoke with my dentist about it. She sent me to an oral surgeon and I asked her why. She said it's because the tooth is really close to a nerve and she felt better about the oral surgeon pulling it (to avoid nerve damage) but said it's a 5 second pull--he's just more qualified to pull it. She thinks I can get by on just taking a Xanax. I'm going to ask for extra numbing stuff. I don't think you can have too much! She said as soon as I hear the "snap crackle pop" it'll be just about over.

I think my biggest fear is once I hear the noises and/or feel the "pressure" I will panic.

You won't because you won't have time, I hate the noise and just as I think I can't stand this, it's done. So to panic, you need more time. By that time it's too late it's out and done, and you're on your way out. I can't say I have ever really felt the pressure, I wait to feel it but before it happens I'm told, it's out and gone.

Good luck, you will be fine. :)

THANK YOU FOR THAT! Some people say they never hear or feel a thing--and hopefully I won't either. When I had my first fillings I was scared of the drill because everyone says it's the sound of the drill that scares them. Well, that sound never bothered me. I didn't feel the drill so I didn't care. Hopefully that will be the case here, too.

You won't because you won't have time, I hate the noise and just as I think I can't stand this, it's done. So to panic, you need more time. By that time it's too late it's out and done, and you're on your way out. I can't say I have ever really felt the pressure, I wait to feel it but before it happens I'm told, it's out and gone.

Good luck, you will be fine. :)

Your welcome, you really will be fine, like I said before, if you have done fillings and weren't bothered, this is going to be a walk in the park.

I wish you well, stay strong.:grouphug:

Thanks for the note. It's just SO HARD to fathom that it's really THAT FAST!

I guess I have it STUCK in my mind that an extraction is the worst thing ever? I am trying to remind myself that Novocaine is some mighty awesome stuff.

You made me laugh! LOL
Now I need to find an old towel! :)

Actually, that stroke face happened to me with fillings. My husband, who THINKS he is funny (LOL) actually took me to Big Boy afterwards and ordered me a bowl of soup! LOL I will be sure to use HIS PILLOW after this procedure! LOL

Back