• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting used to dentures

S

Scarycat

It has been nearly 2 weeks since I had my teeth extracted and dentures fitted , I had a small adjustment made to the lower set last week as they were rubbing quite a lot . The top seem fine at the moment but the bottom feel they are just resting on my gums and moving around when I talk and eat and even came out this morning when I was eating porridge is this normal . I havnt used adhesive yet as really don't fancy it and I have had implants put in so didn't wasn't to get it stuck round stitches .i was expecting to feel more confident but because they are moving round when I talk I am covering my mouth still and apologising for talking funny
Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me

Yep, that’s normal. My hygienist suggested that I only use a tiny tiny amount of adhesive at the very back on the lowers just to keep them in place while my stitches were in. I did not get implants done at the time of my extraction, but a had what seemed like a lot of stitches. Once they were removed I was able to use more adhesive. I’m afraid that until your permanent set is made and attached to the implants that you’re going to need some type of adhesive. If I don’t use any on the bottom, I have to be careful how I talk, and I don’t even try to eat without glue. It does get easier.

I don't have full dentures, but have the exact same issue with my flipper for my front tooth. I also had an implant put in and had stitches. The flipper had to be adjusted multiple times so that it wasn't rubbing on the stitches. Then once the stitches came out and the gums went down a bit, it got even looser. I had a terrible time talking, and had so much excess saliva getting caught under the flipper (big gap between flipper plate and my palate) that I sounded like I was spitting when I talked. It was awful.

I hope one of the dentists can answer for you on the adhesive. I would be scared to put it over implants/stitches. I have to use it with my flipper, but on the palate. That stuff really sticks and is hard to remove sometimes.

I havnt looked at myself yet when I take them out to clean so if the glue is stuck to my gums it would be hard to remove at the moment . Is it easy to get dentures out when you use adhesive as I have read it can be hard to remove them with adhesive ?.can I ask another question do you sleep in your dentures I have up to yet but not having the best night sleep but I think it is more a physiological thing as I am struggling a bit in my mind about feeling like a old lady .

Sorry to read about your struggle, keeping my fingers crossed for things to get better soon. Dentures are supposed to be taken out at night, the only exception is the day of extraction where the dentist might ask you to keep it in even during the night to protect the wounds.
By now sleeping without it would be better and hopefully this will give you more rest at night!

I looked at your old posts and it seems that nobody posted our FAQ about dentures for you yet so just in case, here it is:

I havnt looked at myself yet when I take them out to clean so if the glue is stuck to my gums it would be hard to remove at the moment . Is it easy to get dentures out when you use adhesive as I have read it can be hard to remove them with adhesive ?.can I ask another question do you sleep in your dentures I have up to yet but not having the best night sleep but I think it is more a physiological thing as I am struggling a bit in my mind about feeling like a old lady .
First, I don’t recommend looking at your mouth with them out yet, if you can. It’s a huge change, and it will take time to get used to. Second, get a very soft toothbrush - once you start using adhesive, it’ll be easier to remove it with the toothbrush. Use lots of warm water, rinse and gently use the toothbrush to get any remaining glue. Use as little adhesive as possible. It’s not like a regular glue, as in it tends to sort of dissolve through the day and it’s more of a gel and never hardens up. There is a learning curve to it, believe me lol. As for removing them, use your thumb at the back and gently start rocking the plate. You will feel the seal start to let go, then you’ll be able to take it out. Third, yes I’ve slept with mine in. Only once did I wake up and my bottom was out. It’s not recommended that you sleep with them in as your gums will need a rest. It will take a few weeks before you don’t feel like yanking then out by the afternoon. Fourth, I know exactly what you mean about feeling like an old lady. This will start to fade as well. It’s so bizarre to suddenly have no teeth, and that feeling along with the appearance of sunken in cheeks is difficult at first. It does get better. I won’t say I’m comfortable when they’re not in, but I am more adjusted to the feeling. Please don’t hesitate to talk to your dental team about any of your questions or concerns. I’ve sat in the chair and just asked questions quite a few times.

Once your stitches have healed fully you'll find your bottom denture is much more secure if you use adhesive. Taking them out when you use adhesive requires a bit more patience, but it soon comes with practise. I invariably take the buggers out at night, my wife is well used to me without many teeth. Of course if I'm spending the night with someone else, then I may have to think about leaving them in :grin:

Once your stitches have healed fully you'll find your bottom denture is much more secure if you use adhesive. Taking them out when you use adhesive requires a bit more patience, but it soon comes with practise. I invariably take the buggers out at night, my wife is well used to me without many teeth. Of course if I'm spending the night with someone else, then I may have to think about leaving them in :grin:
Not seen you for a while

Not seen you for a while

Hi Dave ! I could say the same, I've not seen your name come up for many moons ! How are you doing ? Hope you're well !

I do still look in here quite frequently - once a week at a minimum - but I try not to comment on anything unless I think I can actually add something. Perhaps I need to get off Facebook more often, lol. I've not got many teeth left these days, most of mine now are like vampires - they come out at night. Mind you I do still seem to keep my dentist busy repairing the remaining few. Gotta get my money's worth from the NHS while I'm still vertical !

Hey Scarycat, how are you doing?

Hi Dave ! I could say the same, I've not seen your name come up for many moons ! How are you doing ? Hope you're well !

I do still look in here quite frequently - once a week at a minimum - but I try not to comment on anything unless I think I can actually add something. Perhaps I need to get off Facebook more often, lol. I've not got many teeth left these days, most of mine now are like vampires - they come out at night. Mind you I do still seem to keep my dentist busy repairing the remaining few. Gotta get my money's worth from the NHS while I'm still vertical !
Yes ok I dont go ENT noww hated suction thing. it never did any good for me.

I went to the dentist yesterday and all my stitches have dissolved now and he was pleased with the healing and the implants. I am still to use the adhesive but will have to soon as getting fed up of not being able to chew anything ( I have a few ulcers at the bottom ) . I slept without them last night and had a good night sleep it was strange putting them back in this morning , I have looked at myself without them now and it's not the best look . If I can get these bottom ones more stable I will be ok and start to chew again but not sure when I will be able to bite a sandwich etc or is it still early days for that .

Yes ok I dont go ENT noww hated suction thing. it never did any good for me.
Blimey I'd forgotten our shared ENT experiences. I was never exactly fond of the suction but luckily I don't get much wax so it never goes on for long. My surgeon retired earlier this year so I'm in limbo waiting for his replacement to call me in to discuss what (if anything) happens next ! Don't hesitate to go back if you really need to.

Mines always blocked with mastoid wax cheers

I went to the dentist yesterday and all my stitches have dissolved now and he was pleased with the healing and the implants. I am still to use the adhesive but will have to soon as getting fed up of not being able to chew anything ( I have a few ulcers at the bottom ) . I slept without them last night and had a good night sleep it was strange putting them back in this morning , I have looked at myself without them now and it's not the best look . If I can get these bottom ones more stable I will be ok and start to chew again but not sure when I will be able to bite a sandwich etc or is it still early days for that .

Glad to read things are improving gradually. It is ok to need some time for getting used to things. Keeping my fingers crossed for you to get the bottom ones stable soon and being able to eat properly. Keep us posted.

Glad to read things are improving gradually. It is ok to need some time for getting used to things. Keeping my fingers crossed for you to get the bottom ones stable soon and being able to eat properly. Keep us posted.
Why is there no cure?

Absolutely gutted tonight my one implant has dropped out can't believe it not a clue what happens now ?

Scarycat.. oh no... sorry to hear this.. were you able to get in? did you call and leave a message.. how are you?

Back