• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Getting wisdom tooth removed on Sept 24th but having severe pain in the meantime, very worried

N

Nutfig1

Getting wisdom tooth removed on Sept 24th but having severe pain in the meantime, very worried

I thought I would get my wisdom tooth (huge cavity) removed on August 21st but that turned out to be only a consultation. They X-rayed my tooth (luckily there is only a small amount of infection) and went over with me the basics about the removal procedure. I was very angry and let down when I left, because I had mentally prepared myself to have it removed, and it was hurting.

The following week I saw another dentist who didn't do a damn thing either other than X-ray me, tell me I have a "bad tooth" (Well no shit!), and write me a prescription for Cipro (the second time I've been prescribed it as a precaution during this entire ordeal).

Yesterday morning my tooth started hurting, probably the worst it's been so far. I sort of felt like I had been shot or stabbed in the jaw, so I took my usual pain pills, but it took a bit longer than usual for the pain to stop. I'm at the point now where I'm having to take pain pills every day or at least every other day (half of a Norco that I borrow from my mother and a Tylenol which fortunately always worked very quickly until yesterday.)

My jaw feels tight, tender, and a bit swollen. I'm terrified of infection and that the severe pain will return and will become increasingly difficult to stop.

Starting tomorrow (Monday), I will call the dentists office every day and beg him to remove my tooth instead of having to wait until September 24th. Has anyone else had this problem of being jerked around by dentists? What should I do?

Re: Getting wisdom tooth removed on Sept 24th but having severe pain in the meantime, very worried

Ask to be put on the cancellation list. When I had to have a root canal, the endodontist couldn't get me in for a whole month, just for the consultation! I was in pain as well, and the dentist prescribed me antibiotics, and told me to take both ibuprofen and tylenol. I managed to make it for the month, but then they were so booked that they couldn't do the actual root canal for another month! The endo prescribed me more antibiotics. I was in tears at the receptionist's counter when they told me when the earliest appointment was, and asked if they could call me if they had a cancellation. I ended up getting in three days later.
My husband needed a tooth pulled last year, and they gave him the appointment for two weeks out. He called them the next day, after a sleepless night, and told them he couldn't wait that long and would come in any time, on call, if they could get him in sooner. They ended up calling him the next day, and said an appointment went more quickly than expected and told him they could get him right in.
Advocate for yourself and let them know you can come in anytime if they have a spot open.

Re: Getting wisdom tooth removed on Sept 24th but having severe pain in the meantime, very worried

Thank you for the advice; I will surely follow it. So sorry to hear about what you and your husband went through. I couldnt call the dentist today because he had Labor Day off but I will surely start on him tomorrow :)

I hope they can get you in sooner! If you are not already doing so, rinse with warm salt water to help alleviate swelling and pain as well. That helped me a lot. You can do so as often as needed.

MountainMama Thank you for the advice; rinsing with salt water definitely helped me in the beginning although I think I did it so much that it initially messed up the PH balance in my mouth. But Ive been careful to not let that happen again

MountainMama Thank you for the advice; rinsing with salt water definitely helped me in the beginning although I think I did it so much that it initially messed up the PH balance in my mouth. But Ive been careful to not let that happen again

Were you able to contact anyone today?

I called the dentists office today and told them about what pills Ive been having to take and how frequently. The woman I talked to sounded concerned and said she would tell the dentist but said in the meantime all she could do was put me on the cancellation list. I live in a small town so theres no other oral surgeons nearby. I kind of have a feeling I will get in earlier than September 24th but who knows at this point

Hang in there.

You have already demonstrated considerable courage.

You will I’ll make it

I called the dentists office today and told them about what pills Ive been having to take and how frequently. The woman I talked to sounded concerned and said she would tell the dentist but said in the meantime all she could do was put me on the cancellation list. I live in a small town so theres no other oral surgeons nearby. I kind of have a feeling I will get in earlier than September 24th but who knows at this point

I understand about the small town. I also live in a rural area, and the only oral surgeon and endodontist were 30.minutes away, with no other options.

I hope they can get you in soon!

Back