• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Glasgow - Mike Gow

B

babycat

Just really wanted to recommend this dentist - i am terrified and only started going to him recently, im still terrified but he is so nice and understanding which really does help. Not patronising, very sympathetic and will spend time putting you at ease before doing anything which does help slightly. I know how hard it is to find a dentist you can trust so just really wanted to post here and recommend, hope this helps someone

Last edited by a moderator:
IMPORTANT NOTE: Mike has moved from the Kilmarnock practice to:

‘The Berkeley Clinic’, 5 Newton Terrace
Glasgow
G3 7PJ
www.berkeleyclinic.com

Last edited:
mike gow

i certainly would recomend mike gow at the berkley st clinic. hadnt been to a dentist or about 30 odd year and mike was a big help...very understanding person who cares about his job and patients :)

Never thought I’d get this far but yesterday...

… I had 3 Cerec restorations and 2 amalgam fillings replaced with white in one sitting.
I’m not the must articulate of people so please bear with me ;-)

I couldn’t have done this without the help and skill of Dr Mike Gow, I honestly can’t praise him enough, he is in my eyes a Legend. Ashley (the dental nurse) has really helped as well, even offering to lend me her ipod if needed. What a Team.

I emailed Mike about 11 months ago (possibly more) in a bit of a panic as my old dentist had moved and the practise wouldn’t give me any contact details. After a few threads on this board I discovered Mike Gow and to be truly honest I have never looked back.

I’ve visited Mike a few times before we decided on a treatment plan. That included replacing all my Amalgam fillings with Cerec and those that were too small with a white filling. We discussed sedation options and since I’m not a huge fan of needles (one of the things I fear the most) we decided on oral sedation. Mike organised a telephone call to another patient (Cheers Jamie) who he had treated a few weeks before with oral sedation, after speaking with him I felt great and very positive about the appointment we had made.

Now then that was a few months ago, yesterday was my appointment.

I had sent Mike an email just to ask a few questions on Monday and Ashley (hope I spelt the name right) called me late afternoon, we had a quick chat and she reassured me I’d be fine, Thank you for calling me, it made a huge difference.

Later that night Mike called me and we discussed what was going to happen and he answered the questions I had emailed him earlier, this again made a huge difference and helped my get a good nights sleep.

My lass had driven me up the practise early, after a short wait all was set. I went in and sat on the chair and Mike talked through what we were going to do, I was feeling a little nervous at this point. I got my blood pressure taken and then was offered a orange drink (which included the sedation), it took me a few minutes to pluck up the courage to drink it but I managed it in a few sips, it tasted fine, in fact I’ve drank a lot worse tasting alcoholic beverages (of which I’ve sampled many), after a few minutes of talking DSLRs and Lens I felt really relaxed and all of my anxiety and nerves had gone, Mike suggested numbing me up which I was happy to go ahead with. By the way, Mike is superb at giving the best pain free injections in the world! I can’t truly honestly say every time I’ve had an injection by Mike it has been painless and those include times when I’ve not been sedated, he truly is a brilliant.

The rest of the appointment went just as well, totally painless and relaxed, I watched the Cerec being designed which was cool and after 3 hours (which went by quickly) I was done and my teeth looked great.

I can’t recommend Mike and the team enough. Without the patience (and I think I must have pushed his patience a few times, although Mike has never made me feel as though I have) of Mike I know I would have had a lot hard of a time and must likely still be in pain.

Thanks Mike, Ashley and the team at the Berkeley Clinic, an exceptional bunch of people that have helped me no end, I only wish I could describe in words how brilliant they have been.

I feel i've come on a long long way with trying to overcome by phobia and that feels good :)

Take care and have Fun
Garrie

Re: Mike Gow - dentist in Glasgow

HDF2's recent thread:

Re: dentist in Glasgow

hi garrie . mike told me about this post ..glad to have helped ..must agree they are a great team at the berkley :grouphug:

Thought id add in ive seen Mike 3 times now and I had my first treatment the other week and I have to say I would still be in agony without his help and a rotten tooth in my mouth. The tooth Mike took out had cause me pain for a long time and was wrecked.The treatment itself was very painless and was the most pleasant experience ive ever had the dentist. I cant so how much it helped and that although ill still be a little scared, ill be more relaxed about my treatment.

I have to say I was a bit nervous and waited a little bit but was offered Tea and stuff and was felt at ease and explained everything that I wanted to know. I also have to share some personal information with Mike due to my medication and hes really respectful and its not an issue unlike an NHS dentist who had a go at me for it despite what im getting treated for is treated by the NHS. So that makes me feel at ease and Id say im a very phobic patient to be honest and although I still get scared going through to Glasgow to see Mike to sort my teeth is worth it, even if it is a 160 mile round trip.

Dr. Mike Gow, Berkley Clinic

I hadn’t been to a dentist in eleven years. You see I have a phobia; a dental phobia. It keeps me from even speaking the name of a dentist,in fact, I’d rather face a herd of bull elephants than come within a two block radius of a dentist. I’ve done things that would make your hair stand on end to hide my bad teeth. Fear consumed me – it held me captive - I avoided going places because I was ashamed of the way I looked. I taught myself how to hidemy teeth when I smiled or laughed. I was good at it. In fact, I was great at it until one fateful day in June. I was standing over my bathroom sink brushing my teeth when I heard a crack. To my horror I watched half my front tooth go sailing down the sink drain in one swift whoosh. My heart began to pound, my hands were shaking, but my practiced brain went into high gear. How am I going to hide this hideous gap, I thought. I actually considered filling the gap with something – anything. Let’s see, is there anything in the garage I could plug it up with?!?After hours of sobbing I came to my senses. I needed to see a DENTIST. I didn’tleave my home for three weeks, all the while scouring the Internet, emailing various dentists in my area, explaining my fear, asking if they wouldn’t mind having me as a patient. No one answered. I panicked. Was there no dentist in my area willing to deal with a dental phobic? A grandmother, no less! Then I struck GOLD! I came across a young doctor bythe name of Mike Gow! I emailed him about my predicament and he immediately responded.I could hardly believe it. A doctor who lived and worked in Scotland wanted to help ME who lived an ocean away. But, that didn’t stop Dr. Mike Gow. His desire to help knew no bounds, or oceans or miles. I sobbed at the thought of such a person. He even offered to contact a dentist in my state to explain my phobia. I asked Mike about a hypnosis CD I’d read about on Dental Fear Central. We emailed back and forth then he sent me a questionnaire to fill out. I was honest and straight forward with my answers and he was to make a personal hypnosis CD for me. It was the best thing I’ve ever done for myself. This CD has accomplished what decades of wishing, hoping and praying could NEVER do. After listening to it just once I summoned up the courage to make anappointment. And, yes, I KEPT it. For the first time in my life I was excited about going to the dentist. There was magic was in that CD – Mike’s calming voice, so genuine, so real,so caring, did something years of fear had denied me. I now have confidence, I’m calm when I sit in THE chair, and I know I can cope with having my teeth restored. My reward - A shiny new front tooth. There is much more work to be done but that’s okay because I know I can do it. I want todo it. I will do it. Although Mike would deny this - it was he who got me there. If you are afraid to go to the dentist and you live in Scotland - do yourself a good deed and make an appointment with Doctor Mike Gow at the Berkley Clinic. If you live anywhere on the planet and you need help getting to a dentist ask Dr. Mike Gow about a personalised Hypnosis CD. Either way you will be thrilled you did. :)

With Sincere gratitude to Mike and this website for helping me when I couldn't help myself.

Re: Never thought I’d get this far but yesterday...

Dear Garrie,

May I ask you if you could give me Dr Mike Gow email? I would like to email and explain him the problem that I have but I just cannot find his email anywhere. Also, is it possible to book an appointment with him through his personal email?

The reason why I am asking for the email is that English is not my native language and I feel that it will be easier for me to explain the problem to him in a written form.

Thank you.

… I had 3 Cerec restorations and 2 amalgam fillings replaced with white in one sitting.
I’m not the must articulate of people so please bear with me ;-)

I couldn’t have done this without the help and skill of Dr Mike Gow, I honestly can’t praise him enough, he is in my eyes a Legend. Ashley (the dental nurse) has really helped as well, even offering to lend me her ipod if needed. What a Team.

I emailed Mike about 11 months ago (possibly more) in a bit of a panic as my old dentist had moved and the practise wouldn’t give me any contact details. After a few threads on this board I discovered Mike Gow and to be truly honest I have never looked back.

I’ve visited Mike a few times before we decided on a treatment plan. That included replacing all my Amalgam fillings with Cerec and those that were too small with a white filling. We discussed sedation options and since I’m not a huge fan of needles (one of the things I fear the most) we decided on oral sedation. Mike organised a telephone call to another patient (Cheers Jamie) who he had treated a few weeks before with oral sedation, after speaking with him I felt great and very positive about the appointment we had made.

Now then that was a few months ago, yesterday was my appointment.

I had sent Mike an email just to ask a few questions on Monday and Ashley (hope I spelt the name right) called me late afternoon, we had a quick chat and she reassured me I’d be fine, Thank you for calling me, it made a huge difference.

Later that night Mike called me and we discussed what was going to happen and he answered the questions I had emailed him earlier, this again made a huge difference and helped my get a good nights sleep.

My lass had driven me up the practise early, after a short wait all was set. I went in and sat on the chair and Mike talked through what we were going to do, I was feeling a little nervous at this point. I got my blood pressure taken and then was offered a orange drink (which included the sedation), it took me a few minutes to pluck up the courage to drink it but I managed it in a few sips, it tasted fine, in fact I’ve drank a lot worse tasting alcoholic beverages (of which I’ve sampled many), after a few minutes of talking DSLRs and Lens I felt really relaxed and all of my anxiety and nerves had gone, Mike suggested numbing me up which I was happy to go ahead with. By the way, Mike is superb at giving the best pain free injections in the world! I can’t truly honestly say every time I’ve had an injection by Mike it has been painless and those include times when I’ve not been sedated, he truly is a brilliant.

The rest of the appointment went just as well, totally painless and relaxed, I watched the Cerec being designed which was cool and after 3 hours (which went by quickly) I was done and my teeth looked great.

I can’t recommend Mike and the team enough. Without the patience (and I think I must have pushed his patience a few times, although Mike has never made me feel as though I have) of Mike I know I would have had a lot hard of a time and must likely still be in pain.

Thanks Mike, Ashley and the team at the Berkeley Clinic, an exceptional bunch of people that have helped me no end, I only wish I could describe in words how brilliant they have been.

I feel i've come on a long long way with trying to overcome by phobia and that feels good :)

Take care and have Fun
Garrie

Re: Mike Gow, Glasgow

Jane-Jane

Your written English is fantastic - I am not sure if Garrie still comes on here, as that post is a while ago.

I would doubt that anyone on here would or should be giving out private e-mail addresses due to things sometimes going a little 'pear shaped'. I know I can contact my dentist through their surgery e-mail, and he is always on his toes, and gets back to me really quickly.

Hope you can get some help soon.

Take care.

Kim

Hi,

You can go onto the site whatfear.com which tells you more about Mike and has another email contact for him there.

He is a fantastic guy and has worked wonders for me. Highly recommend him.

Sparkles :grin:

Here is a recommendation received by long time forum member:

There’s not much more to say about Mike that hasn’t already been said - and he’s quite well-known around this forum (hi DrMike!) but I wanted to add my recommendation to the pile!

Mike isn’t my dentist so I can’t add to the comments on his clinical skills - but he has been helping me out as a therapist over the last few years as I’ve been working through treating my dental phobia, and has proved invaluable in supporting and advising both myself and my dentist through this process. I’ve written a bit more about that process over on another thread recommending my own dentist.

Mike’s biggest strength is that he is very, very good at understanding people. He knows how to make you feel instantly at ease, and he knows when to offer intensive support, and when to pull back and give you breathing space. He realises that everybody’s phobia is different, and will draw on a range of techniques and approaches to use whatever is most appropriate for you. He’s perhaps best known for hypnosis - and he will use hypnosis if that’s what’s right for you - but the real key is that he will tailor the approach to whatever it is that benefits you most and certainly won’t push anything on you that you are uncomfortable with.

The other thing that stands out about Mike is his patience - he tells me that people often ask him why he hasn’t run out of patience or given up on them yet. The thing is, he won’t! Trust me, I’ve certainly tested this - I’ve had a more than a few meltdowns at Mike! He understands that phobias can sometimes be very complex and can take a long time to tackle, and that there will be ups and downs along the way. I honestly don’t think that there’s much you could say to Mike that he couldn’t handle, and whatever curveballs your phobia or circumstances might throw at him, he’ll stick at it.

Perhaps most importantly of all, what both Mike and my dentist have done is support and guide me as I find my own feet and find my own way through dealing with my phobia. Most often in the end it has been me who - with the right support - has driven the process. I’ve learned an enormous amount about what I’m capable of, and done things that I never would have imagined I could do. Facing your biggest fears can feel like closing your eyes and stepping off a cliff, and the thing that makes it possible for me is knowing that if it all goes wrong, there is always somebody there you can trust to catch the pieces. Mike, for me, has been that safety net.

I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Mike to anybody looking for either a dentist or a phobia therapist - or both!

We've now got a great interview with Mike on our website :) - you can read it here: