• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Going to dentist after 15 years, scared to hell.

P

pozexis

Hey everyone.

First of all I'd like to thank all of you guys. I found this site by chance and it helped me a bit reading about your experiences and the support you give is fantastic. I've always been afraid of the dentist, even the thought of sitting in that chair terrifies me to the point of not sleeping for several days and/or having nightmares all night long.

Finally I have decided to tackle this once and for all and made an appointment with a dentist my cousin suggested. He assured me that what must be done ( 3 extractions 3 fillings, 2 cyst removal) is easy for him and that I won't feel anything.

And I was actually relieved. However though, the day is almost here (in 2 days ) and my terrible anxiety is back. This time not even reading support is helping me.

I've had some TERRIBLE experiences with dentists, at some point when I was a kid, a doctor pulled one of my tooth without anesthetics because, and I quote " saves a lot of time, grow a pair and be a man!! "

Needless to say, I've been traumatized all my life because of dentists and now my teeth is in bad condition because of my avoidance all these years.

So fellas, what can I do to relax myself? I am not afraid of needless and I'm pretty sure I won't feel pain. Its just that I've never had these little cysts on the side my tooth before and I think I'm afraid that it will cause complications or something. I don't know guys, just terrified right now and I only have 2 days to do something about it. Can someone please give me a suggestion? has anyone around here ever had a cyst removed? what is the experience like?

Thank you all for listening guys, hope you can help me =(

Hiyer,

I presume you aren't having all those procedures done in one sitting ???

Considering the trauma you've been through when younger, I'm amazed you have managed to get as far as you have with the process of returning. That is absolutely awesome and you should feel such pride. Of course you will feel anxious, expect it, don't be afraid of it - you are facing a fear, a huge one and that will take some continued strength. How do you feel about the dentist you are seeing? Did you explain everything to her/him?

Heres a few ideas I've had.....

1. For me a key to getting through things is to plan for after the appointment. By that I don't mean some huge party or anythign to celebrate, but mentally remind yourself that you will actually walk out of the surgery absolutely fine and come home and life will continue. I think when a massive life event like this blocks your view, you can't see past it and making yourself see past it by - say - planning what you will watch on t.v. that night or what you'll make for tea, can help. Even on the actual morning getting something out of the freezer to have later or starting off a load of washing to hang when you get back can help.

2. I also think there is no harm in having things with you that give you comfort. For example, I don't use the clear goggles they give me, but instead use my own wrap around shades lol I know! The dentist finds it amusing, but I prefer to have a bit of darkness with the light shining in my face. I also always keep my phone on my lap (no idea why) and wear a special piece of jewellery. I like to have something to fiddle with in my hands and have a few tissues that I mess about with. These are small things I know, but in a way they give you a bit of control over the situation. ON that theme...

3. Have a signal that you need to stop and want a few minutes break. Have I dont that - yep indeedy LOL !

4. Don't spend too long reading on dental issues (I know you are here right :giggle:) where it describes conditions or problems.

Im sorry, I know nothing about the cysts (I know there are a few different varieties and am presuming yours are related to decay/infection), so maybe someone else will come and comment on that. However, I will say that if your standard dentist is saying it can be done by him, then I should think he's done stacks of them and knows what to do easily. Not sure what complications could ensue, but you do know they are fully first aid trained with a massive cupboard of equipment for everything from heart attacks downwards. I know this as got mine to show me !

How do you feel about the dentist you are seeing? Did you explain everything to her/him? !

He seems like a nice guy and my cousin who has been his patient for the past 7 years suggested him. I spoke to him for about half an hour and he even agreed to talk to his office not in the examination room. He said that what I must be done is piece of cake for him and he assured me that I won't feel anything.

A friend of mine who is kind of an expert on NLP, taught me some stuff tonight to get rid of the fear, anxiety, etc.. I don't know how it will turn out but one thing I'm sure of is that I'm ready, I will go through this.

thank you for your wonderful words, I'll make sure to post the results, fingers crossed =)

I too am going to the dentist for the 1st time in many years. I have to get all of my teeth removed under IV sedation and I am super scared. It took me a long time to even make the appointment and I made it in November and set it for January 10th I am freaking out the closer the appointment gets... I feel your stress

Back