• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Going to dentist and getting treatment without family/friends knowing?

D

dougw901

Due primarily to fear of going to the dentist, I haven't seen a dentist for a very long time. I know I have periodontal disease since I have recessed gums and can visibly see tartar on many of my teeth. I will probably need to have several treatments done over a period of time, possibly even 12 months.

I don't think my family/friends knows the extent of my bad teeth yet so I want to keep this concealed from them. I work from home so there are no coworkers.

I live with my parents now. I am planning on taking a "vacation" after getting any treatment done that would make it obvious I had seen a dentist, returning only after the swelling or any pulled teeth are replaced. This would be the cheaper option but there is a risk that the dental or periodontal clinic will mail me checkup reminders, etc. which would obviously reveal my treatment. The other option is for me to move out, it would cost me an extra $700 a month though.

I have about $50000 saved up. My living expenses over 12 months would be about $20000 so I can spend up to $30000 on fixing my teeth, I am worried this is not enough money as I will probably need all sorts of treatments.

Thoughts?

While I can understand that you want to keep the extend of your dental problems hidden, I don't think that hiding the fact that you are getting treatment from them is a good idea.

Do you think that your parents will be mad at you for the state your teeth are in? What type of people are they? What about your friends? Do you think that they will love you any less because of your bad teeth? The vast majority of friends and family members would just be happy that you are doing something about it NOW.

I'd just go to a dentist first and see what he or she says. Maybe it isn't as bad as you think it is after all. I certainly wouldn't do anything as drastic as moving out.

Hello. The dentist icwent to said I have perodontitis.. sorry if I misspelled.. okay I have my front tooth some mostly the bottom two in tje middle with tartar.. coming from the gum.. I just wonder what wi the dentist say to me on Thursday that can be done.. now I would say you don't have to move out.. or go on any sort of vacation.. you don't have to go around opening your mouth to show ur teeth.. I mostlikely will undergo some treatment but I will just say deep cleaning.. now I s dunno what can happen... Fist check with your dentist, see what you have and what can be done.. before you start packing to move.. and take it from there..

Why are you hiding this from your family and friends? I have a family that all have beautiful teeth so if you feel shame or feel different- I understand. I think most people on this forum would understand.

Tell us more about why you cannot tell your family or friends so we can help you better.

I do understand very well.. I have hidden my teeth.. no one would even imagine the extend of my teeth issues..

Hi!

Why would you want to keep this hidden?

Dental problems, such as caries and periodontitis are among the most common health problems in the world. Everyone sees a dentist from time to time, even if not everyone talks about it. Even people with teeth that look great can have dental problems. I told my friends and co workers that I had to get a lot of dental work done, like it was no big deal, and their reaction was like this was something normal, because it was.

I think you will find this a lot easier if you can tell your friends and family what is going on. You don't have to give them details, just tell them that you need some dental work.

Good luck!

Back