• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Going to the dentist alone?

F

fromyesterday

My appointment (first in 15 years!) was the 14th of May, after which I was told that I needed to have two deep cleanings, which were scheduled for July. Well, my husband was going to be with me, but given his work schedule he may not actually get those days off and I'm not sure whether or not I can go alone.

I mean, I know I *can*, but I don't really want to! I'd have to take a taxi out there, be there for who knows how long, and then come home and be alone for the next 3 days (his job takes him away from home often).

Have any of you ever gone alone? Would you go alone? I'm not sure what to expect with the deep cleanings, as the dentist said I could be numbed if I wanted to be, but that it might not be necessary. I rather not be all wonky/woozy (how would I be numbed, does anyone know? In my happiness about hearing I wouldn't be losing my teeth I forgot to ask :redface:) and then be alone, but at the same time I don't want to delay this even further, seeing as it might be next month before I was able to get seen again.

Thanks in advance. :)

I've gone alone for cleanings, but they don't bother me, and I haven't had a deep cleaning nor sedation. If you're worried about being woozey, call the dentist and ask if you definitely need a ride. If you just want someone to be there, I would see if you could anyhow work around your hubby's schedule to get him to be there, or find someone else to go with you that would be of a support? That's tough. :(

I only took my mom in with me for the wisdom teeth consults (and the surgery of course) because that truly scared me, but all my other dental visits I have always done alone.

My understanding is that a deep clean is the same as a regular cleaning up a little deeper under the gum so it might feel like you had a rough hygienist or something. Because your gums might be tender, they offer the chance to have freezing in the area they are working on. You also might get away with just some numbing gel.
If you feel that you need your husbands support to get there, maybe it is best to wait so that you have set yourself up for as much success as possible. If you are mostly worried about after effects of the procedure, don't worry because it is just a local, if anything at all.

Thanks, guys. =) I don't know anybody in town and the military is unyielding when it comes to certain things so it seems I may have to go alone. :o

Not looking forward to it, but if all it takes is numbing gel then I think I'll be ok. Just that I'd much rather have my husband there with me for comfort reasons. ;D

I understand, I hate going to dentist alone. It's twice more stressful for me... But don't worry, it's not that bad, I'm sure you'll make..

I have no experiences with cleaning, so I don't know...

Good luck

Thanks, Dana! :XXLhug:

Back