• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Going to the dentist when you have OCD/sensory issues?

N

NotQuiteSnowWhite

Hi everyone.
Going to the dentist has always been a scary ordeal for me because I have OCD that also plays into sensory issues (especially tactile). My mind and body get really overwhelmed by sensation, and that makes going to the dentist a terrifying experience. I'm planning on being honest with the oral surgeon when I go to get my one wisdom tooth out (should be a pretty easy procedure because of its placement and I'm only doing local anesthetic), but has anyone else out there been able to relate or cope? I know sensory issues tend to be different for everyone who may have OCD or any sort of autism spectrum disorder (which I do not have, but sensory issues are commonly associated with it), but do you all have any advice?
Thanks guys!

I have sensory issues, but I need to be sedated through an IV. It helps with the procedure.

Back