• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gold Onlay charges between NHS and Private

W

woodstock

I had a gold onlay inserted in a lower molar 3 years ago by an NHS dentist, this proved to be a good decision as I have been happy with it even now, but the thing is I'm now with the same dentist but private in another surgery, and I am in need of another onlay in a different molar. I have been given a rough price for the complete job which is just over £500, then I was trying to remember how much I paid for the first gold onlay as mentioned above when I was with him under NHS, and I could swear that he offered to do it as private and was charged £104, so I called him to ask why the huge difference in price as I didn't think the charge would have risen that much in 3 years, he said that I had it done as NHS although I have my doubts, and I do think he is just saying this to show that his private charge is more realistic, also I didn't think that NHS dentists would do gold onlays and charge at an NHS price, £104 doesn't seem to me to be a price for a gold onlay under NHS anyway according to checking online.

The reason I went with him when he moved was because I am happy with his work as I currently have had no issues with any of his work to the present date.

I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar situation, I know I could well have gone with a new NHS dentist, but I was worried that I could end up with work that I wasn't happy with even though I would be charged a lot less probably, and with onlays especially gold ones it's better to have a competent dentist preforming this procedure.

Last edited:
The charges sound right. If a dentist deems it necessary for an onlay to be needed then they will do them on the NHS.

The private charge will be correct as there is no set charges for a dentist doing private work charges, they set their own rate's. :butterfly:

The charges sound right. If a dentist deems it necessary for an onlay to be needed then they will do them on the NHS.

The private charge will be correct as there is no set charges for a dentist doing private work charges, they set their own rate's. :butterfly:

Thank you carole. :cheers:

Everything is explained on the NHS choices website :butterfly:

Thanks, do you know if there are any differences between charges etc in Scotland as compared to England?

I don't know. Hopefully, someone from your neck of the woods will be along soon and help you with this.

I had the Gold inlay fitted a few days ago, however I wanted to give it a couple of days to see how I felt, and I do believe that the new gold inlay will require some trimming as it feels a little bit on the high side, when I bite I can't really feel the front molar tooth on the opposite side.

Also, I am experiencing a bit of pain when anything too cold hits it.

Is it normal to require the gold inlay to be trimmed so that my bite is more even and not feel it to be too high, and the cold pain, will this settle?

Things should settle down but I would return to the dentist and get them to check your bite and alter it so that you feel comfortable, there shouldn't be a charge as it is part of the same job.

All the best to you, let us know how you get on please :butterfly:

I have an appointment with him later this week, I could have had today, but wanted to give it a full week to see if it settled down by itself.

There is deffo pain at this tooth that has been given a gold inlay, I remember when he was cleaning it out prior to the fitting it hurt abit, so it's probably the same pain I am getting with coldness, I will be really annoyed with him if he says that I will require RCT as if he does then he should have done this before he fitted the inlay.

I feel it tender when I stick a flossing stick between the back of the new gold inlay and the older gold one, I wouldn't have thought that there is a gap he has left, surely this will be noticed when I see him this week.

And he better not charge me for this appointment as like you said Carole it's all part of the same job.

I mention inlay instead of onlay as this is what the dentist wrote down.

Edit:

The strange thing is the new inlay tooth wasn't sensitive to cold when it had an old composite onlay, but since the gold inlay fitting things are different.

Last edited:
He should have got a piece of floss and made sure there was room for you to be able to floss. My dentist did this when she fit my crowns and bridges.

I really hope this settles for you but I suppose we will just have to wait until Thursday to see what is said :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::butterfly:

Last edited:
He should have got a piece of floss and made sure there was room for you to be able to floss.

There is a gap to enable flossing, I meant a gap that was allowing entry of food or liquid.

I really hope this settles for you but I suppose we will just have to wait until Thursday to see what is said

How did you know it was Thursday? was it because I remarked a couple of days. :)

Sorry I misunderstood the gap bit. I thought you had mentioned you were going on Thursday somewhere :) either that or I must have hidden powers I didn't know about :ROFLMAO:

Good luck :butterfly:

Sorry I misunderstood the gap bit. I thought you had mentioned you were going on Thursday somewhere :) either that or I must have hidden powers I didn't know about :ROFLMAO:

Good luck :butterfly:

Thanks Carole. :)

Hi, just a little update.

He did a little maintenance on the inlay for a better bite, there was no charge, I didn't expect one anyway as you rightly said it was part of the same job.

He said that the cold sensitivity on the tooth will eventually fade, and I am using toothpaste for sensitive teeth that also should help with strengthening the enamel.

Back