• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Good appointment today.

M

mcredding

After some more anxiety & discovering that a general dentist I went to a couple years ago charged me for surgical extractions that he neither performed nor was qualified to perform, I went to a dentist today. I have gum disease, but it's still in its early stages. I have 4 fillings, 1 root canal, & 5 extractions to do, with 3 of those being impacted wisdom teeth, & 1 of those wisdom teeth causing part of my pain. I thought there'd be so much more work to do than that. I thought maybe the doctor was going to tell me that none of my teeth can be saved (I'm good at blowing things out of proportion).

I'd also completely forgotten about my wisdom teeth. An oral surgeon told me about them years ago when I had a molar pulled, but I forgot & no dentist ever mentioned it after that. The best part of today's visit: the dentist sat down & took the time to talk to me, address my concerns, & come up with a plan. The worst part of it: this was the first time in 15 years where any dentist has sat down to talk to me. It shouldn't take that long but it did.

I find it very difficult to trust any healthcare provider, including dentists, when no-one wants to give me the time of day or come up with a plan of action. I get that the healthcare industry has been essentially set up to go through people like they're part of an assembly line & that there's little-to-no time as everyone gets swamped in more & more patients. So when someone takes time with me despite the massive pressure to rush through things, it makes me feel so much better about the future of my health. On a side note, I've decided to get my medical & mental health care from that clinic as well. So a positive experience with the dentist has helped me to reach out for other types of needed care.:grin:

Last edited:
mcredding.

The best part of it: the dentist sat down & took the time to talk to me, address my concerns, & come up with a plan.

This is great! sounds like a win win situation and sorry it took so long to get there.. trust is earned , glad you got someone who came up with a plan and really listened to you to address your concerns.. This is great!

Congrats and well done mcredding :jump::jump::jump:

Glad to read that all went well and the news were much better than you thought they would. Also lovely that you feel comfortable to get your health care from this clinic also in other areas.

There are plenty of lovely caring doctors out there, not everyone is rushing or dealing with people like on an assembly line. The only problem is that it might take some time and efforts to find a doctor who fits your needs and it seems like you have found a good place finally.

Congrats and well done mcredding :jump::jump::jump:

Glad to read that all went well and the news were much better than you thought they would. Also lovely that you feel comfortable to get your health care from this clinic also in other areas.

There are plenty of lovely caring doctors out there, not everyone is rushing or dealing with people like on an assembly line. The only problem is that it might take some time and efforts to find a doctor who fits your needs and it seems like you have found a good place finally.

Yeah, I know there doctors out there who don't rush through everything. Lest I be labeled as a doctor shopper, a lot of the time I tend to just stick it out with whatever doctor I land with, even if I don't trust them. Needless to say, that hasn't work out very well.

Bravo! Well done.

You have demonstrated courage in persisting until someone helps you.

You are a fine example for others, my friend.

Enjoy this feeling. You’ve earned it.

After some more anxiety & discovering that a general dentist I went to a couple years ago charged me for surgical extractions that he neither performed nor was qualified to perform, I went to a dentist today. I have gum disease, but it's still in its early stages. I have 4 fillings, 1 root canal, & 5 extractions to do, with 3 of those being impacted wisdom teeth, & 1 of those wisdom teeth causing part of my pain. I thought there'd be so much more work to do than that. I thought maybe the doctor was going to tell me that none of my teeth can be saved (I'm good at blowing things out of proportion).

I'd also completely forgotten about my wisdom teeth. An oral surgeon told me about them years ago when I had a molar pulled, but I forgot & no dentist ever mentioned it after that. The best part of today's visit: the dentist sat down & took the time to talk to me, address my concerns, & come up with a plan. The worst part of it: this was the first time in 15 years where any dentist has sat down to talk to me. It shouldn't take that long but it did.

I find it very difficult to trust any healthcare provider, including dentists, when no-one wants to give me the time of day or come up with a plan of action. I get that the healthcare industry has been essentially set up to go through people like they're part of an assembly line & that there's little-to-no time as everyone gets swamped in more & more patients. So when someone takes time with me despite the massive pressure to rush through things, it makes me feel so much better about the future of my health. On a side note, I've decided to get my medical & mental health care from that clinic as well. So a positive experience with the dentist has helped me to reach out for other types of needed care.:grin:
Good for you! This is most important thing, as I have found in my recent journey; simply talking can work wonders! It is worth sharing on this note, that on talking to my dentist at the start of this year, not only did I successfully address my phobia issues, but also by unexpected default, dealt with some past issues of flashbacks that turned out to be linked to my dental history. Carry on talking and good luck with your continued progress and success. Simon X