• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Good news if you suffer "Fear of Fear" panic

C

cartertx

Below is my final post that I made in the "support" section of this forum. I suffered from "Fear of Fear" panic attacks. I originally was seeking support on the use of Xanax for anxiety and panic for an upcoming dental exam. But what I took away this forum was much more. As a backdrop, the week before this I was scheduled for a root canal and crown but only made it as far as the numbing shot before I "bailed out" without getting the needed dental work because of a panic attack. The procedure was rescheduled for today and the following is my post after a successful dental experience:

SUCCESS!!!!! :jump: For those of you with my type of Dental Phobia (Fear of Fear) I have very good news!! Today I had a crown procedure for a broken tooth and no problems!!! I followed the steps in the book "Panic Attack Workbook" by David Carbonell Phd. Yes I started to have a panic attack several times during the procedure but I followed the steps and each one was snuffed out well before it ever became a problem! I felt so empowered.

If your type of anxiety and panic is like mine (Fear of Fear) then, yes you can take Xanax, Halcion or whatever but in a way that's like taking an aspirin for a fever but it doesn't cure the flu. For me, Carbonell's book I believe will be my cure. I know that I still have a way to go and that there will be ups and downs but for the first time in my life I see the possibility to beat this! Today was an important victory on my road to recovery. Again thanks to all and special thanks to letsconnect!!!!!

I came to this site for advice on oral sedation for my Dental Phobia but I have come away with so much more !!!!

(If the administrator wishes to move this post to the success story section that's fine with me)

Fear of Fear/Panic/Agoraphobia books

Many thanks for re-posting your success here :jump:!

Dave Carbonell's website is here: https://www.anxietycoach.com/