• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gorilla glue on a crown, now what?

Scaredshirley

Scaredshirley

I had a crown that came off and I went to the dentist and he put it back on but ordered a new one to replace it when I come back, but I went with my husband over the road and the crown came off, I was sure what to do so I texted a friend and she told me to use super glue...so I said I had to do something and I found the only hour I had which I realized it was gorilla glue after I applied it... It worked out good...but that's been almost 2 weeks now...I have a dentist appointment coming up to get a new crown put on (which I already paid for) the crown I glued won't come off... What should I do? Can the dentist get it off somehow? Maybe drill it off ...ugh ...now I'm worried..

Hi Scaredshirley,

your dentist will certainly find a way to get it off (and might add a lecture about DIY dentistry). If you are too worried, give them a call.

When is your appointment?

All the best wishes

It's possible that the dentist will not be able to get the temporary crown off without damaging the prepared tooth underneath, in which case you'll need to have more impressions taken and get another crown made :(

Hi Scaredshirley,

your dentist will certainly find a way to get it off (and might add a lecture about DIY dentistry). If you are too worried, give them a call.

When is your appointment?

All the best wishes

I feel stupid for doing it, it's this Tuesday . I hope he can get it off even if he has to cut it off.. I paid for the new crown already.. expensive $$$ hate to wasted that much money if something goes wrong...I been trying to pick at it myself to loosen it.. no luck yet.
Ugggh. I learn my lesson.

It's possible that the dentist will not be able to get the temporary crown off without damaging the prepared tooth underneath, in which case you'll need to have more impressions taken and get another crown made :(

That's what I'm scared of…

I will keep my fingers crossed for them to be able to remove it without damaging the tooth. You can't change the past so if you can, do your best to forgive yourself, call your dentist to explain what happened and hope for the best. I can imagine your wish to get it loose yourself, however it might be the best to let it as it is and allow your dentist remove it. He/she will have other tools and possibilities and you don't want to damage the tooth yourself.

All the best wishes, keep us posted and may the time till Tuesday pass quickly for you

Thanks! We shall see...

Stupid is when you make the same mistake twice.

Hi Scaredshirley,
Don't beat yourself up, we have all found ourselves in situations where we have had to improvise or taken dodgy advice off a friend.
I'll wager that you will have no problems when it comes to fitting the new crown. Yes, there may be some residue left on the tooth when the temporary crown is removed but your dentist should be able to remove it. Gordon's vision of a new impressions being required whilst possible is a tad pessimistic in my opinion. Maybe because he is a perfectionist. Let us know what happens.
Lincoln

I am contemplating using Gorilla Glue to reattach the "cap/crown", whatever the proper term is, to the implant post. The cap adhesive thar CVS sells doesn't hold enough for me to eat without it coming off.
It seems like all of the OTC adhesives are temporary at best. I have an appointment to get more implants, but that isn't until February to get that work completed. Should I do it? What are the ramifications? If the Gorilla Glue would be a permanent fix, what's the downside?

I'm a bit confused, why is there a temp crown on the implant? What kind of adhesive is Gorilla Glue? Over here they sell several different adhesives under that brand name, so which do you mean?
Any kind of permanent adhesive will probably screw up the implant for a proper crown further down the line, if I was your dentist I'd not be happy with you doing it.

Back