• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Got a question about periodontal disease?

V

VVD

I’ve been reading about peridiontal is not curable, what this mean? Im still 2 weeks away for my next appoitment, to ask my dentist. Thanks in advance.

I’m no dentist, but I believe you can cure gingivitis, but you can’t reverse the loss caused by periodontitis. However, their are ways to manage it.

Periodontal disease causes bone loss. You don't get the bone back. Treatment for periodontal disease is focused and is highly effective on halting or at least greatly slowing the rate of bone loss. The bone levels are best monitored by taking periodic x-rays. Standard of care long term includes professional cleanings every three months with some patients needing care every two months. If the disease is caught early the treatment consists of root planing only. If more advance then it may require surgery and or laser resurfacing of roots.

Periodontal disease causes bone loss. You don't get the bone back. Treatment for periodontal disease is focused and is highly effective on halting or at least greatly slowing the rate of bone loss. The bone levels are best monitored by taking periodic x-rays. Standard of care long term includes professional cleanings every three months with some patients needing care every two months. If the disease is caught early the treatment consists of root planing only. If more advance then it may require surgery and or laser resurfacing of roots.
Thank you for the info, now understand is more like keep an ill under control with more frecuently cleaning, etc.

Back