• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Got my permanent zirconia crown on!

AngelCatMei

AngelCatMei

Hi all!

Don't know if you guys have ever seen my thread before but yes I've finally got my first ever dental crown on. It's a zirconia crown that was put on on Monday!

I went without a temporary crown for two weeks and luckily that didn't affect the fitting of my permanent crown, my teeth didn't shift that much. Zirconia crown feel natural, I went back today to adjust my bite again one side of the crown looks longer than the opposite sit.

Notice that dental crown looks bulker compared to natural tooth, it's nice for the appearance but doesn't feel the same anymore. I kinda of miss my natural tooth (my tooth are quite small with deep groove) Waiting for my retainer to be done in a week time. It will be a clear erkolign retainer to protect my teeth from grinding. Anyone ever have this type of retainer before?

Some of the dental cement seems to stick on the premolar (beside the tooth that have dental crown). It doesn't affect me to get my floss through those tooth but it's just annoying that whenever I'm flossing the premolar, the floss always went pass those cement and it doesn't make the flossing smooth. Also, I saw an article that says that when dentist are doing the prepping and final installation, rubber dam are required, is that true?

My dentist didn't use a rubber dam to tho.

I also wonder how strong are dental cement. I'm glad that I overcome my fear for dental crown, I was anxious to eat or sleep during the first day as I'm afraid that the dental crown is gonna fall out and I'm gonna swallow it. During the fitting of crown, the crown slipped from my dentist hand into my mouth, luckily my tongue was blocking the throat, dentist didn't panic at all (kudos to him, if he does panic, I'll have panic too) and he calmly fish it out from my mouth.

Thank God that complications didn't happen.

All I can hope now is for the crown to stay in place and well. Hope that it's gonna last me a couple of years ?

Cost spent for zirconia crown:1800SGD
Cost spent for erkolign retainer: 250SGD for top retainer only.

Angelcatmei,

Happy to hear you got your crown in .. I absolutely love my zirconias.. they look and feel the best and I hear are just really strong! I ohpe it does stay in place and last you for years!! They do cost a pretty penny too.. omg.. you sound you stayed pretty calm when he nearly dropped that crown.. I would surely be freaked out that that ..eeks... glad he got it back !

I am glad you got your crown in! I just got my implant crowns (zirconia also) in recently as well.
My front tooth crown is cemented onto an abutment. My dentist told me it is very strong and that I can bite into an apple as soon as the gums are not sore. It is daunting, as it feels weird to have a tooth “cemented” in, yet be strong enough to sustain biting forces.

I feel the same way Mountain mama , it is so weird to think how much this cement can bear... as all of my teeth are cemented on for years.. I find it somewhat miracoulous.

Angelcatmei,

Happy to hear you got your crown in .. I absolutely love my zirconias.. they look and feel the best and I hear are just really strong! I ohpe it does stay in place and last you for years!! They do cost a pretty penny too.. omg.. you sound you stayed pretty calm when he nearly dropped that crown.. I would surely be freaked out that that ..eeks... glad he got it back !

Hopefully it will last me lots of years but I woke up ear, jaw and pain under my chin. And my gum around the crown seems redder than the surrounding gum. With the current covid-19 situation, my dentist only accept your appointment if have have an abscess or in extremely pain.

By right, I should have an appointment today for my new retainer, but they cancelled it cos it's not an "essential" or maybe just because I'm working in an essential service (hotel line) so they're afraid? Idk.

I told the administrator that I need my retainer. I just remove my braces last June, and for not wearing my top retainer for a month plus, it's not giving me a peace of mind as my top teeth shift really fast, I don't want to risk it shifting back to the original shape in this one month. Which idk if it's possible. So they asked me to come and collect it, but the dentist wont see me. So I agreed to it and told them I'll try it in the toilet before I go off. If it fit, good. If it doesn't fit, then I'll need to pass the retainer back to them and see them once the covid-19 situation die down, which who know when.

Anyone can advise if it's okay to not wear my retainer for one month plus? My concern is that the government might extend the soft lockdown. Really hope this virus will be gone soon, it cause so much inconvenience to everyone.

And I'm afraid that this recent crowned tooth is failing. Since the dentist mentioned that he saw some slight shadow on one of the root but he will want to see how it goes. If the root canal crowned tooth fail we will need to extract it. If it can stop the ear jaw pain, I won't mind extracting it even though eating might be a little difficult since I'm already missing my lower first molar one my right side. I'll be upset though, since I spent so much on the root canal and crown and then it doesn't even last me a year...

I wonder why does dental treatment always a failed for me. I really hope my dental implant that I'm getting this year will work. If not, I will be so embarrassed to live without some teeth at my early 20s...

I am glad you got your crown in! I just got my implant crowns (zirconia also) in recently as well.
My front tooth crown is cemented onto an abutment. My dentist told me it is very strong and that I can bite into an apple as soon as the gums are not sore. It is daunting, as it feels weird to have a tooth “cemented” in, yet be strong enough to sustain biting forces.

I checked with my dentist about my dental implant crown. It's gonna be a screw in and it will be a two stage surgery!

I'm glad you're healing well, MountainMama. Ever since I joined this forum, I found your posts really helpful as you went through the same situation as me, e.g root canal failed and dental implant and got a braces done since young.

You came a long way! It gives me strength to know that you're doing well and that it remains me that everything will eventually be okay someday. :')

I feel the same way Mountain mama , it is so weird to think how much this cement can bear... as all of my teeth are cemented on for years.. I find it somewhat miracoulous.

Right!! Haha! I find it amazing too how the cement can hold up so well.

I have some excess cement that stick to the premolar and no matter how much I floss, it doesn't come off. I guess it accidentally got to there during cementing on the crown. I wonder... Is the cement the same cement that the dentist use for braces bracket? I think it's different for the one that is use for molar band as I remember the molar band glue is in blue colour.

Back