• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Granulation tissue?

K

Kasj

I went to the dentist today for the first time in years because of severe tooth pain and ended up having to get my tooth pulled. Bottom molar very back next to wisdom teeth. I asked as many questions about care as possible afterwards but it's only been hours and I'm stressed out and paranoid already. I just mashed up fries and ate a few. I brushed carefully afterwards and noticed what looked like food stuck in there. I rinsed super gently since I'm not even supposed to be doing that yet. It was still there so I Googled it and realised it could be granulation tissue.

So my question is is it possible or normal to have granulation tissue on the very first day of extraction? I'm really stressing out over whether I should try to dig this out or leave it alone. Help!

Hi welcome. Leave it alone, they should have given you some aftercare instructions but hopefully this will help.

24 hours after extraction start to do gentle salt water rinses, no sucking or spitting as this can dislodge the clot. Let the water dribble out of your mouth. Brush but be careful near the extraction site.

As long as you aren't in a lot of pain or get a really bad taste in your mouth you should be fine. You should be safe from dry socket 72 hours after extraction.

After eating don't brush straight away because when we eat it softens the enamel and brushing can damage it. It hardens back up again after about an hour.

I hope this helps.

Carol is right and knows her stuff. I didn't look at my molar extraction site immediately afterwards, but it wouldn't surprise me that the blood clot would form granulation tissue that fast.

I also totally understand the fear and anxiety over the healing process. I was a hot mess worrying about it afterwards, and I ended up healing just fine and had no dry socket.

Back