• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Grindcare, biofeedback for grinding/clenching?

F

Floridakris

I'm in need of something to help me stop grinding......I'm tired of the gum recession and dental work that comes with damaged teeth, not to mention just getting up the balls to go to the dentist requires some pretty good anxiety medication. I'm also tired of my TMJ being worse because of my grinding. I came across Grindcare and was wondering if anyone has used this? I know it's FDA approved and I know it's been in Europe for a while so I was hoping someone would know.

I would much rather wear this than have to take anxiety meds so I can go to dentist. I wonder if something like this could actually change my fear of dentists.

Per their website- "GrindCare is CE approved & has received FDA clearence" to market- it needs no FDA approval based on a device act from the 70"s so there's no clinical efficacy promise that it will do what it says- it just has clearance to market.

Sounds a little gimmicky in that you either have to go to a GrindCare center or your dentist has to become one. If it works why the "Center" hype around it. You don't need to be a Bite Guard center to have that device made for you. There's a product called Alpha Stym that is real simular on the market just a few years ago - I actually tried it. It sounds a lot like a tensing unit the dentist or a chiro, PT uses to relax a muscle a group. It won't treat the cause just give your muscle feedback to stop.

You may want to try Mike Gow who has a great hypnosis tape for grinding it works and I wasn't wired for sound https://www.whatfear.com/

Ultimately having my bite fixed (because I was looking for one) and missing teeth replaced stopped the grinding and relieved my TMJ symptoms.

Not sure how the device would do anything for your fear of the dentist- it may be just another rationalization not to have to go.

rp

I'm thinking it will stop my fear dentists because I won't be continuing to due constant damage to my teeth, so when I do go to the dentist I won't fear such awful work ahead of me for more problems created. It could also limit how often I have to go :)
It's been here in Europe for quite awhile and I've actually heard good things about it. As for what it says on the website, I personally don't think a person with grinding/clenching as bad as me would care, they would try it. I also believe that the reason it's by prescription only is because there is another company in America that spent quite a few years blocking this product from market due to patent restrictions, although the company that was blocking it was having inferior results with there product. I could be wrong on that theory but I'm guessing that could be why it is by prescription only. Another reason is maybe so that dentists can help patients understand how to use it properly/read the results. I just went and read the FDA paper and reading through it it sounds like the reason it's by prescription only is due to it's classification and requirement of extra controls on that. I'm no expert on this though.

Either way I was hoping to just give some ideas for others in a similar situation like mine. And also hoping for a possible feed back from a person who has used this. My ultimate goal is to get this under control, which in turn I believe could help alleviate SOME of my dislike of dentists and having to use medication to go to the dentist.

Last edited:
Was it Alpha stim blocking it? They actually have a list of law suits on their web site....the deivice was as hooey as the guy who sent it to me....but that's up to you.

I guess it if I were going to learn any lesson looking back on my journal - it would be don't wait......it doesn't work -DIY, fancy devices and gimmicks don't work, ongoing dental care that you deserve- works.

So you grind because? If it's not a physiological reason must be psychological and again I'd try someone like Dr. Gow who can help you figure out why rather than mechanically stop it. That perfect bite won't last too long, I wore down my front teeth, broke my back teeth and have gum recession all from bruxism, the result was painful TMJ requiring a full mouth restoration.

Sorry but I don't follow your logic- I won't be afraid of the dentist in the future if I don't do anymore damage to my teeth now- so why not go now, why risk it? Sounds like you have nice teeth and a perfect bite, trust me that's precious.

rp

LOL, your post made me laugh.......sometimes fear doesn't always follow logic;)

I actually grind/clench due to a parsomnia sleep disorder, it's neurologically based. I've had one sleep study and am getting ready to go for another to see how severe it is, it can get worse with age. Basically my doctor explained it as this, I have periodic limb movements but they are mainly in my jaw muscles.......it's truly something I cannot control, but there are medications to help, which we will be looking into once I have this sleep study again. I'm also hoping that something like this device might help my brain to re-wire. I could be way off and I'm not looking for it to be a cure, but a help would be great.

As for the dentist, yeah I'm pretty freaked out by going but I DO go and I take care of my teeth. When I lived in America I used to travel 4 1/2hrs away just to see my dentist, because he was caring and would make sure I was ok, but I still needed meds. Right now I'm getting ready to go to a new dentist and he is about 5hrs away. This new dentist has calming techniques/hynotherapy in his office if needed. Keeping my fingers crossed it will go well.

But again, the purpose of the post was maybe to help others. I did look up the alpha stym though and I have to say it looks interesting.

Good luck. I travel 2 1/2 hours one way to see my dentist too.

WOW that makes me feel so good to hear I'm not the only one who travels quite far to see a dentist. I have to say living overseas it's been a bit complicated to find someone but I was reassured when the dentist himself called me back to speak with me, so I'm going to give it a try and keep my fingers crossed.

You sound very confident in your dentist. I'm hoping I can have confidence in my dentist. I'm going to research the hypnosis thing, I've heard about it for other conditions like smoking but never for dental care, until I talked with the dentist over the phone.

You find that it helps? I'm going to have to research it, I'm a bit confused by it but very open minded.

Hi, hope you dont mind me jumping in here but I have been reading your posts about TMD and I've been told I grind and clench my teeth, but I only do it if I have worries about having to vist the dentist or get tooth ache and know it will probably result in some kind of treatment. I get really anxious about whether the dentist will give me good or bad treatment that will cause further problems with my teeth and the numbing injection problems

For me the cure to my grinding and clenching problem is to stay away from dentists but that creates it's own problems, like the fistula I have at the moment, i'm terrified of the dentist retreating this tooth and dont like the sound of pus draining into my mouth every now and again either.

Does any one else have this problem?

I'm fairly sure I grind and clench, only to one side. I think it may have been what brought me back to the dentist (broke a filling, then broke a tooth). I'm not sure though, because nobody has ever said it,but I rarely sleep with someone else in the room, and I almost always stay up past the other person when I do. Some of the teeth on that side feel like I grind them, and I've caught myself doing it a bit. My jaw hurts on that side quite a bit sometimes. So far, I've spit every mouthguard I've tried. I was hypnotized for dental phobia years ago... and after that was when I was kicked out of the dentist for cursing at him. Clearly, that's not the right option for me. I'd be really interested to see some more info about these sorts of devices, as it seems maybe medication would be my only other option.

BUYER BEWARE ...

I have purchased a Grindcare in early 2012.

The device has not helped me to reduce my clenching, in fact the numbers showed absolutely no down trend, even with the higher stimulation degrees.

Potential Grindcare customers should know that THEY WILL NOT HONOR THEIR MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE.

I have called to get a refund within the guarantee period and they have simply been ignoring my request in spite of my repeated calls and emails.
I am stuck with a 1150$ device that is useless to me.

Is this the kind of company you want to trust your money and well-being with ?

Back