• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Grinding?

J

Jenni32

Hi,
I have had issues with aching upper molars. After an extraction a couple of years ago, following a cracked molar, it’s been on and off.

Last December I saw my dentist about pain in upper left molar and wisdom tooth. Xray was clear but from symptoms I was treated with antibiotics for a sinus infection. Pain subsided.

It’s been back over the last few weeks and is sometimes in the upper right molars too, I’ve also had a little on and off pain in my lower molars, but not as much.

Dentist assessed my teeth, said there’s a small hairline crack in upper left molar but it’s not causing the issue, it’s a common thing they see and not like a cracked tooth.

He said he saw signs of grinding and said he thinks that’s the issue. I’m worried as he never x rayed the teeth. I did ask him why, he said he’s got multiple x rays with the same problem so didn’t want to expose me to radiation unnecessarily.

So, being me, I’m now panicking he should have done an X-ray in case there’s a problem and it’s going to come back to bite me (pardon the pun!).

Can any dentists advise?

Sounds perfectly logical to me. There doesn't sound like any justification for exposing you to more radiation at this time.

Back