• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Gross Scaling and 2 fillings under conscious sedation

K

KayteeArtist

hi guys

basically ive been refered for conscious sedation in order to have two fillings and what states as a "gross scaling" whatever that is?

I was just wandering what people's experiences are with conscious sedation as im freaking out that i will still feel pain or anything, its making me really nervous. Also, what is a gross scaling and what are peoples experiences?

thankyou x

Hi.

I'm not familiar with the term 'gross scaling' although I'm wondering if it's the same as a deep cleaning.

Have you been diagnosed with gingivitis or periodontal disease?

When you say conscious sedation I'm thinking of nitrous oxide. If this is what you're referring to I've used it before and I loved it. They'll put a mask over your nose and have you inhale the gas for about 5 minutes or so. Peoples' experiences with it are different. In my experience it didn't numb me. I'd suggest asking for the numbing gel for your gums and if you're sensitive like me you'll need novocaine shots also. The nitrous made me feel drowsy and drunk. It's a good feeling though because it'll completely take away any feelings of anxiety and fear. For me it also changed my perception of time temporarily. The appointment felt like it went by much faster than it did.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Good luck.

JJ

Hiya, thankyou so much for your response. Apparently its a full mouth debridement and the sedation will be given by injection so im not sure what they'll be using x

Back